Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Does Anyone Have a Personality Guide?

Looking what makes each personality class. Trying to create a class clown, team prankster and dont know what to change to make that,
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
gooksta
Bat Boy

guessing - good leadership ability with low work ethic would be two parts of it.
gooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
hockeyman001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thread's older than a month, but I came upon it and here's what I have found out so far:

All ">" or "<" symbols actually mean "greater than or equal to" or "less than or equal to." So if it says >140 and you put 140 for the attribute, it should satisfy the criteria to generate the desired personality type.

CAPTAIN
Leadership > 150
Loyalty > 100
Work Ethic > 120

FAN FAVORITE
Loyalty > 101
Work Ethic > 150
Greed < 99
Local Popularity must be "Popular" or better

PRANKSTER
Leadership > 100
Handle Success > 140
Handle Failure > 140
Handle Critics > 140

HUSTLER
Work Ethic > 180
Intelligence > 140
Controversy < 80

HUMBLE
Loyalty > 101
Work Ethic > 100
Desire for Winner < 49
Greed < 49

OUTSPOKEN
Controversy > 160
Intelligence < 100
Handle Critics < 60

Players that fulfill the criteria for more than one personality type seem to have their personality type chosen based on the above hierarchy. IE being a captain supercedes all other categories, even if the player satisfies both. Same goes for the oxymoronic combination of someone who is "humble" yet "outspoken" - humble wins.

As of yet, I have been unable to determine how to generate "cancer", "slacker", and "selfish", as playing around with personality types and morale in the editor seems to only yield "normal" which is anything that doesn't meet the criteria of one of the other categories. I believe there's more at play here, possibly team morale...since, after all, a player is only a cancer if the other players don't like them. Since my team has good captains, and I don't want to start editing the chemistry out of the whole team just to test a theory on 1-2 players, I can't and won't do that right now. It's interesting that while popularity was a prerequisite for a player being a fan favorite, being "disliked" doesn't seem to tip the scales to them being a cancer, selfish, etc. either, although I suppose this makes sense since the fans' reactions would have little to do with player perception of a teammate.

Interestingly enough the odd man out on my team seems to be the bench coach, who despite exceptional ratings for handling veterans and prospects (slightly better at veterans) and good coaching attributes for fielding/baserunning, has managed to have a bad relationship with my entire starting rotation and lineup, and one of my MLB level relievers. Yet, despite this, the entirety of the players in camp who will largely be returned to the minors (which includes a couple veterans on minor league deals) get along great with him. So there may be some randomness factors as well, or ancillary things that don't seem connected to player interactions and how someone is perceived that are at play behind the scenes. But hopefully someone can add to the work I found so far, and flesh this out with the other personality types and their requirements.

Last edited by hockeyman001; 05-12-2016 at 08:41 AM.
hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

cancer has more variety of negative attributes than the other two, and slacker and selfish will just differ on a which ones are present.

slacker will start with low work ethic. selfish will start with greed. make sure positive attributes don't reach various thresholds of the 'better' personality classes, but don't make them zeroes either... i think some other posts give some #'s on these personalities... or search through your league. there are examples of each present i am certain.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
grmagne
Minors (Triple A)

When I first started playing OOTP I found it confusing that Very High is always a good trait except in the case of Greed, when it's bad. Is it just me, or does anyone else which there was a consistent system so that Very High is always a good thing?

Personally, I wish they'd change Greed to Modesty (or some other word that's the opposite of greed), so that it's easier to judge a player's character at a quick glance, without requiring the mental flip of the 4th characteristic.
grmagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmagne View Post
Personally, I wish they'd change Greed to Modesty (or some other word that's the opposite of greed), so that it's easier to judge a player's character at a quick glance, without requiring the mental flip of the 4th characteristic.
Like Altruism?

What I like is the variety of new player descriptions, or summations, if you'd rather call them that. One of my pitchers "just wants to make his mother proud." Well, she's not proud of your 5.32 ERA or -0.2 WAR, I can tell you that.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
hockeyman001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

FYI interesting update. I did a little digging, and apparently the issue with my bench coach is that he doesn't work as well with anyone who is on my "untouchable" list for trade purposes. Interesting...
Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #8
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmagne View Post
When I first started playing OOTP I found it confusing that Very High is always a good trait except in the case of Greed, when it's bad. Is it just me, or does anyone else which there was a consistent system so that Very High is always a good thing?

I might change it to two variables, if it were up to me-- one positive and one neutral (though the second will sound negative).

The problem with one is that high Greed players not only demand more money, but they seem to demand more things like playing time. The desire for money is quite different: If a player cares mostly about money and has a lucrative long-term contract (not incentive-driven) he'd care less about how much he plays.

The positive one would be Modesty or Humility. Players high on that scale would tend not to get inflated opinions of themselves and be less demanding in general for the good of the team. Altruism is too wide-ranging for that, as it would imply such behavior toward other players as well as toward fans, and thus be a factor in leadership and more in popularity than this would. Its negative opposite would be Egotism.

The neutral (bad sounding) one would be Materialism. I can't think of a good "reverse" name for it, but it's really neutral from a GM perspective in that a materialistic player (especially if low in Modesty) will demand more money, but a high score there would tend to mean if he's getting paid well he won't worry about much else. Got a crappy team but wanting to sign him or keep him? If he's very high on Materialism, he'll take the deal as long as he doesn't think he can make more elsewhere. The same with not worrying so much about his role on the team, unless he needs certain levels to vest his contract or get bonuses.

It has its bad side as well, but wouldn't mean he's selfish. Low Modesty would mean a selfish player more. He'll still demand more money if the variable is high, but just because he'll weigh money is his decision-making more than other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
FYI interesting update. I did a little digging, and apparently the issue with my bench coach is that he doesn't work as well with anyone who is on my "untouchable" list for trade purposes. Interesting...
Sounds like a glitch. Hmm.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #9
james17
All Star Starter

How about 'generous' as opposed to greed?
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 AM   #10
hockeyman001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As an update - team attributes of some kind or player tenure at a team are definitely involved in generating "slacker" "cancer" and "selfish" personality types.

As a test, I copied both morale and personality attributes from a player who was identified as each one of the 3 onto a player in a new season, put them in, refreshed the personality type, and it displayed normal.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Basically players with these attributes are like dormant volcanoes. Sometimes there's a tip off in a scouting report despite the "normal" personality type, like "cares about himself more than that team", but chemistry won't be a problem right away. Something will trigger it. Whether it's losing, poor play, a contract situation, the existence of another negative personality on the team...some sort of mathematical aggregate of individual morale into a negative enough team total number that exceeds some threshold...these are the variables I can't quite figure out. But the "dormant" aspect of these bad traits actually makes a lot of sense, since it appears that they will reset the player's type back to Normal when they are traded/released/etc. Of course, they could resurface, but it realistically models the "fresh start" for such personalities after they switch teams.

I'll need to play around more to find out (if I'm even able) what the tipping point is to send a player from normal to cancer/slacker/selfish personality type, or see what generates the "disruptive influences in the clubhouse".