Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
le receveur
All Star Starter

Minor League Stat Problems

in the Markus legacy bug request, i reported on the issue of the wild stats i was getting in minor leagues and JohnHoward posted the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was determined that these problems with PB and other statistical anomalies was a a function of ratings and modifiers associated with the QS roster set and not with game configuration or game engine problems. In other words, these may be legacy problems with the roster set but not the game as such.
i'm just trying to see the implication of the statement. does that mean QS are not part of the game?,

also since i didn't really care about the original rosters (and these guys are all long gone by now) I just wanted a quick set up with the teams i was familiar, and a bunch of already established Logos and Jerseys, did i just have do delete all the players after the loading to eliminate the problem?

thanks

Last edited by le receveur; 01-16-2014 at 05:05 PM.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
yougo1000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
in the Markus legacy bug request, i reported on the issue of the wild stats i was getting in minor leagues and JohnHoward posted the following

i'm just trying to see the implication of the statement. does that mean QS are not part of the game?,

also since i didn't really care about the original rosters (and these guys are all long gone by now) I just wanted a quick set up with the teams i was familiar, and a bunch of already established Logos and Jersys, did i just have do delete all the players after the loading to eliminate the problem?

thanks
I think the issue is that there is not enough data available to make perfect ratings for the minor leaguers. I could be wrong but that is my guess.
Bulls
Hawks
and Kansas JayHawks
yougo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

I would rather defer to lukasberger or someone who knows the details better than I do, but from what I understand the initial settings for the minor leagues (at least the lower minors) in the QS are not constrained by real world league totals and modifiers and this results in statistical anomalies because the players in the roster set are rated according to real world statistics.

In the OOTP engine, results are produced by the calibration of stats and ratings across a league, so if the initial conditions are not set properly (PB totals and modifier, for example) then even correct ratings will produce anomalous results.

For a more detailed explanation, as I said before, I defer to those who know more about this than I do.

Last edited by JohnHoward; 01-16-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
le receveur
All Star Starter

so does that mean, all i have to do to remove the issue is recreate the minors in my dynasty (like adding 6 levels, assign them to each team, move all the players for the teams from the QS, and then delete all the existing minor leagues)?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
if the initial conditions are not set properly (PB totals and modifier, for example) then even correct ratings will produce anomalous results.
I have a splitting headache right now and so can't give a great explanation. Hope this is at least understandable.

Plus I'd have to talk to Markus to clear some stuff regarding the modifiers up in my own head.

The short version is this: Most of the explanations in this thread aren't quite right. (No offense intended guys, please don't hate me for saying that) There is enough data to rate all the minor leaguers, they are all rated more or less correctly. Further, the ratings of individual players in the universe have no effect whatsoever on a given league's statistical output. That's not an issue at all.

The statistical outputs of any league are completely controlled by the modifiers, the ratings only control how those stats are distributed.

The problem with the passed balls etc. has come because when the league totals are entered into the game and then you hit the auto calc button to have OOTP create modifiers, sometimes it does weird things with those numbers and creates secondary (fielding) modifiers that are way too high or too low. These then need to be tweaked by hand. You'd have to talk to Markus to find out why that happens. I don't know.

For whatever reason those modifiers were not properly tweaked for some milb levels in the MLB quickstart which results in the weird passed ball settings etc. So essentially exactly what JohnHoward said in the part of his post I quoted above.

It's not really a game issue, it's not a ratings issue, just an issue of the tweaking of modifiers getting overlooked in the mad rush that occurs each year before the roster set is finalized. Since we're very much aware of the issue now, it shouldn't get overlooked this year.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 01-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
so does that mean, all i have to do to remove the issue is recreate the minors in my dynasty (like adding 6 levels, assign them to each team, move all the players for the teams from the QS, and then delete all the existing minor leagues)?
The easier thing to do, if you feel confident in the process, is to reset the league totals and modifiers to real world stats using real minor league totals.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

I'll refer you to this post as it has step by step on how to add in the minors lg. totals. You should read through the whole thread though.
My apologies if you've already seen it.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ilb-stats.html

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-17-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
I'll refer you to this post as it has step by step on how to add in the minors lg. totals. You should read through the whole thread though.
My apologies if you've already seen it.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ilb-stats.html

thanks. I had seen it, however since I had failed to grasp the nature of the error, I assumed this would be a patch, where the evolution would still derailed the stats, so I would have to re-enter these every 3-5 years to reset. (ie an operating bug, not a dataset introduced bug)

now that I think have a better understanding I will go ahead.