Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Thanks Mr. Watts I hope that works when I start my big boy league.

Just finishing 1917 in my test league. Found out that extra free agents appear on October 1st. Had ~ 60 appear on 1 Oct 17. I tried selecting them all and moving them to the draft pool but I cannot figure out how to do it....

Learn something new every day.
I figured you might have trouble with that. The only way I can see around it is to do your favourite activity: Importing, so hopefully David Watts' technique works.

Import the guys from the default database, using the player ID provided in the Editor tab of the player card, and looking them up in the MLB Master to get the year one year before the player's debut season located in the "Debut" column (Column Z in the Master.csv file). That's a helluva lot of importing though, which might result in a JaBurns meltdown. Import them into your draft pool (checkbox on the import feature). Once you have them all there, purge the delinquent free agents from your game by right-clicking and deleting them. Yeah, David Watts' technique is much more simple, provided it works, which it seems to, so I'd go with that.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
JaBurns
All Star Starter

That importing thing probably would cause much distress and computer abuse, although I am getting better I can import one player at a time without going ballistic.

I am actually need the players because I count retirees every year and this year is going to approach double the 80 players in the draft.

Once I get my AAA LTMs set I am going to start [U]my real league.[/U] Figure by next weekend I will be ready to go; stay tuned there may be fireworks.

I am going to save my test as I am becoming far to attached to the league.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That importing thing probably would cause much distress and computer abuse, although I am getting better I can import one player at a time without going ballistic.

I am actually need the players because I count retirees every year and this year is going to approach double the 80 players in the draft.

Once I get my AAA LTMs set I am going to start [U]my real league.[/U] Figure by next weekend I will be ready to go; stay tuned there may be fireworks.

I am going to save my test as I am becoming far to attached to the league.
Yeah, that attachment thing to a league that you're not really all that invested in is...weird isn't it? Here's hoping you get it all figured out to your satisfaction and move on to your real league soon.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #24
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
You're not kidding about the Brewers. One of the pitfalls of doing the draft this way is that there are some players who are rated faaar higher than they should be (19th century pitchers are by and large beasts, but I'll take 'em in order to get 19th century position players), and the Brewers snagged two of them in the late rounds. They were down because their RL numbers were kind of meh, but OOTP doesn't seem to care. The two that they snagged were both 5-star left handed SP! Toad Ramsey (14th rounder) and Phil Knell (41st rounder). Along with lefty Preacher Roe in the 3rd round, it makes their rotation formidably beastly. And all of them are are still arb eligible (Ramsey is 23, Knell is 28, and Roe is 32), so they could put together a bit of a magic run to start things off. St. Louis Browns fans (where the team will be re-locating in 1902) could have a lot to cheer for in the coming years, as weird as that sounds given the history of the real life Browns.

Remember italyprof, as weird as it sounds I never take over a team. I'm the Commissioner/God/Official Historian/Roving (or is that Raving?) Fan of my league. I watched the Chicago White Sox take down the Brewers and Ramsey on Opening Day 8-6. Since then, the Brewers have outscored their opponents 34-13 in going 5-1. Yeah, they look kind of good. They were predicted to win 105 games for cryin' out loud. Sheesh! What have I done?
So you are "The Watcher" ! (old Marvel Comics character who had awesome power but never intervened. Have you read the Universal Baseball Association ? Great novel about creating simulation baseball leagues - it shows that there is an aspect of world creating deity, which requires eventual self-regulation for it to work, an element of "free will" for the players.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #25
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I tried a different method last night and as far as I could tell I wasn't getting any current season player imports like you're describing.

What I did was create my league using the historical wizard. While in the wizard, I selected the option to create a AAA level of minors. I then finished my wizard choices and created my league. Once the league was created, I simply unaffiliated the AAA league I created. Of course, this league was set up to mirror the MLB, but it would be easy to delete teams to get down to 8 or whatever you desire. I simmed one season and one offseason and as far as I could tell only had random players.

This may be a method you can test
The more I think about it this may work perfectly. I can start with my Eastern and Western League of 8 teams each and add my Central League as an unaffiliated AA league later, did you have enough players to fill all 16 AAA teams in the first year?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #26
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Well, I have looked into the Free Agents in a Random Debut League with minor leagues issue - in the league I have run through three seasons - the one with Binghamton Barnstormers starting in 1947 using only 1901 to 1960 players, there are 196 free agents.

But all of them seem to have been either not-drafted by the time the draft rounds ended - if I draft five rounds I might have 8 rounds worth of players included sometimes, or they were on teams and were released, often as they aged, given that I set strict limits of age and numbers on my minor leagues.

So, it may not be the minors that are the issue, but undrafted and released players?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #27
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Not sure but in my league they all seem to appear on 1 Oct xx. Many appear to be upper level players all of whom debut IRL the next year. Too many to be a coincidence; so when I figure out figure my LTMs for my minor leagues I am going to try Mr. Watts' idea and start with 32 teams. The 16 team MLB and 16 AAA unaffiliated, I am worried that I may not have enough players. I need a minimum of a 1100 in the draft.If I cannot make it work I just start again, nothing ventured, nothing gained....
Old 05-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #28
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Now I am really no mystical free agents showed up in October 1918. The only thing I changed is I increased the number of players in the 5 round draft to seven.I am going to increase players to 10 rounds this year and see what happens.....

The good news is I may have found the proper LTMs for my minor leagues. I think two more seasons of testing then off with the training wheels!
Old 05-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #29
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now I am really no mystical free agents showed up in October 1918. The only thing I changed is I increased the number of players in the 5 round draft to seven.I am going to increase players to 10 rounds this year and see what happens.....

The good news is I may have found the proper LTMs for my minor leagues. I think two more seasons of testing then off with the training wheels!
I finally got through my inaugural season (multiple results posts to come), and still nary a current free agent. 43 upcoming free agents, who I assume will file on November 12th when all free agents file, but no pesky unwanted free agents.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #30
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I know I wasn’t dreaming, although it must seem like it trying to follow my seemingly insane ramblings about magically appearing free agents. I advanced day by day from September 30th in an attempt to determine which day there was an influx of free agents. Learned something new again today, I did not realize that the 1919 schedule for Majors was set at 140 games.

Keep us updated on your league, I am interested to see the results.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #31
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1901 Final Standings (in two parts), 1901 Final Batting Stats (sorted by BatR), 1901 Final Pitching Stats (sorted by fWAR). More to come eventually.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #32
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Playing 162 game schedule how do you select which schedule to play so that they don't repeat every year? Looking forward to more stats to review and ask questions about in your league.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #33
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Ian Happ appears to be a OOTP RBI machine. He is putting up good numbers in my league as well.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #34
Edster007
All Star Starter

I have been using 1984 and getting good results with the exception of stolen bases which are very low. Is there a way you modify it? My leaders usually end up in the low 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #35
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I have been using 1984 and getting good results with the exception of stolen bases which are very low. Is there a way you modify it? My leaders usually end up in the low 20’s.

Look at Stats and AI and set stolen bases to "normal" if it is set to "rarely". That seems to do even more SBs than I want in early seasons that historically saw few bases stolen.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Nice league ActionJackson. Boog Powell might break out, though nice to see some oddball names in there as leaders that I will have to look up now in on baseball-reference to see who the heck they were.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #37
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Look at Stats and AI and set stolen bases to "normal" if it is set to "rarely". That seems to do even more SBs than I want in early seasons that historically saw few bases stolen.

I noticed it was on rarely bumped it to normal then often. Often is where I have gotten leaders in the 20’s. Every other stat is pretty much spot on.

Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I noticed it was on rarely bumped it to normal then often. Often is where I have gotten leaders in the 20’s. Every other stat is pretty much spot on.

How are your league wide stolen base numbers? Are you using the lock totals feature instead of my method? My method will get you the results you're looking for as you can see here. I use Normal for stolen bases and everything turns out great including stolen base percentage (which was somewhere around two thirds success rate IRL 1984). You should be getting a lot of stolen bases with 1984 settings. After all, Rickey Henderson and Tim Raines played back then, and there was a lot of thievery going on. As italyprof said, set stolen bases to normal, and use my method, and you'll get lots of SB. 1892 SB in MLB against 918 CS, so definitely it can be done. Check your settings.

EDIT: I had 35 players steal 20 or more bases. 14 stole 30 or more bases. 8 stole 40 or more bases. 6 stole 50 or more bases. 2 stole 60 or more bases, and Ed Delahanty topped out with 76. It can be done using my method of madness.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #39
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1901 Amateur Draft (conducted November 1st, 1901), with players ages as of June 30, 1902 (cutoff date for determining a player's age for the upcoming season) and all the positions they're rated for:

1. Washington Senators: Edgar Martinez, 23, 3B
2. Brooklyn Superbas: Mickey Lolich, 21, LHP
3. Boston Americans: Fritz Ostermueller, 25, LHP
4. New York Giants: Alejandro Pena, 21, RHP
5. St. Louis Cardinals: Mike Lieberthal, 21, C
6. Cleveland Bronchos (formerly Cleveland Blues): Scott Brosius, 23, 3B
7. Philadelphia Athletics: Terry Larkin, 19, RHP
8. Pittsburgh Pirates: Sean Doolittle, 24, LHP
9. Philadelphia Phillies: Mike Montgomery, 24, LHP
10. Chicago Orphans: Everth Cabrera, 21, SS
11. Chicago White Sox: Jerry Walker, 17, RHP
12. Detroit Tigers: Johnny Hetki, 22, RHP
13. Baltimore Orioles: Matt Wise, 23, RHP
14. Cincinnati Reds: Jack Banta, 21, RHP
15. St. Louis Browns (formerly Milwaukee Brewers): Charley Hall, 20, RHP/1B/CF/RF
16. Boston Beaneaters: Johnny Williams (Spritze DB Negro Leaguer), 18, RHP/SS/CF/RF

Once again, like the Inaugural Draft, I used my own draft values to conduct this draft (more like a dispersal, but whatever). I think it's doing a pretty good job so far, but it is early still. It is a bit time consuming, but I'm enjoying it, and I find it adds to the immersion factor.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-19-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Playing 162 game schedule how do you select which schedule to play so that they don't repeat every year? Looking forward to more stats to review and ask questions about in your league.
I found in OOTP16, that after a certain point they didn't repeat. Remember that I use my own schedules, but somehow I've found the game does change the schedule up every year. Don't know how it does it, but it seems to. We'll see how it goes in OOTP19.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:41 PM.