Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
BPS
All Star Reserve

Expansion Teams for Dummies

I'm the dummy.

What are the "best practices" for creating (and taking over) an expansion team?

I know it is recommended that the expansion happen, at soonest, after the free agent filing system so to eliminate the chance someone is drafted in the expansion draft who will soon declare free agency. Is it a good idea to delay until Jan 1, or later, to hold the draft...but perhaps having a worst choice in free agents? What other issues are involved in this decision about when to hold the draft?

How does one deal with team personnel if you are intending to take over an expansion team? When an expansion team is created all the personnel positions are filled before you take over the team and, in at least OOTP 17, are filled almost exclusively, from top to bottom of the organization, with people who are "Unproven" despite the fact much better personnel are available. They can all be replaced through normal means if you reschedule the expansion draft (and then possibly reimburse the team for the cost of broken contracts by editing team cash). Or one might use the editor to change the characteristics of these already hired people. But these two methods seem artificial...am I missing something about how to do this through completely "normal" means?

(It seems like the league expansion wizard should have a check box to indicate that a human is taking over one of the expansion teams and, so, no personnel should be hired.)

Your Scouting Director seems important when it comes to the expansion draft as is the money spent on scouting (and the proportion going to scouting ML players and minor league players). But if one hires a scouting director that is good with ML/minor league players then one gives up quality in scouting amateurs for the first ML draft. Yes, choices must be made but what are the opinions about the best choice?

What else am I missing about expansion teams (and taking them over)?

Thanks!
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

My method used since OOTP 16:

By mucking around in commissioner mode, it's possible to create the expansion teams the first day of the offseason but delay the expansion draft until after free agents/Rule V.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This is how I almost always play the game, and I find the most challenging, and what keeps me interested long term in a game. And yes, you're personnel folks will already be in place, with the exception of your Assistant GM. Some things to remember. If you ever play in fictional mode, you will want to sim a minimum of five seasons, and actually I usually do 7-10 seasons. This will build up some history in your game, which is good when you have the expansion draft. Since I play stats only, I will even do several seasons with real players, again, just to build some additional history.

I will usually replace several of my personnel, but not all the first season, just to keep things more realistic. And to make it more of a challenge, I always have the lowest payroll in the league nearly every season. And you need patience, as it will take three to four seasons before you become competitive. Of course, you can change that quicker if you want to spend a lot of money on free agents. I'm still playing a game in OOTP16, and since we're moving to Savannah soon, I always create a team there, and the other one is in Reno. Rough going the first four seasons, but in a very weak division, I made the playoffs in both season five and six, winning the division, but not getting past the first round. Sometimes, I'll stick with a team until I either win a World Series, or just get bored, and then I'll start with a new expansion team.

One thing that also keeps my interest too, is that I create a very simple spreadsheet, and I follow my draft picks progress through the seasons. I have a 30 round draft, and it's always been interesting to see how well I've done over the years. I also do this with my international signings, and any trades I make. I don't list stats, just where they're at in their career(A, AA, etc). It also gives me a nice snapshot of when I have to make that tough decision, and let a player go. For example, I'm in the year 2020, and I have a 3rd round pick stuck in AA, and struggling. Now hold on, my draft expertise is at least as good as Ruben Amaro Jr., so I'm giving this kid some extra time, BUT, I put brackets around the [AA], telling me that this kid's on his last leg. Mid season, if he's still struggling, I'll probably send him home to mommy and daddy. And going the opposite way, if a kid's tearing up in AA, I put an asterisk next to those letters, telling me to keep an eye on him, and mid season I will probably promote him to AAA, knowing that more than likely, he'll be making it to The Show next season. Hope this helps!

Last edited by progen; 03-22-2016 at 08:15 AM.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

If yi do it before try and resign the people.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
sreem
All Star Reserve

How I play, almost exclusively.
1) Sim through first season of an MLB Quickstart
2) Release all players/coaches on Astros & Marlins (cause I just don't care for those teams, sorry)
3) Expand league by 2, one in each league
4) Remove Houston & Miami from the game
5) Remove all minor league teams created for my expansion teams
6) Assign the unaffiliated minor leage teams left from removing Miami and Houston to my expansion teams
7) Customize playoffs (this will get auto changed when you expand, and you have to reset it if you want to keep current postseason setup)
8) Make all coaches on expansion teams free agents
9) Do any neccisary editing to my expansion teams (owner profile, colors, logos, parks, etc.)
10) Retire #42 on both expansion teams

I then pick one and take it over. This gives me a very HIGH level of immersion, as I am forced to fill all levels of minors, both players and coaches. It allows me to be in complete control from the birth of my team. I do this all on the first day of the offseason, the expansion draft gets auto scheduled for a few days after free agency starts.

As a side note, I usually always make my owner a 10 in patience, to ensure a long leash as we go through the first few years of build our club. I'm sure there are things I missed but this is the basic system I follow, in the process of setting up my new game in 17 now using this way. If you have questions just ask and I'd be happy to share!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreem View Post
2) Release all players/coaches on Astros & Marlins (cause I just don't care for those teams, sorry)
Fascinating
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Fascinating
Could be any team you want. I used to do the worst record in each league, which back in 15 & 16 it almost always seemed to be Miami and Houston. Now in 17, in 5 different test sims, Houston always wins the West, so I might have to re think this.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

One note, when you do this you may want to also delete the minor league teams associated with Florida and Houston - otherwise the game will leave them and their players sitting around.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
One note, when you do this you may want to also delete the minor league teams associated with Florida and Houston - otherwise the game will leave them and their players sitting around.
Actually, I delete the Minor League teams the AI creates for the expansion teams, then I assign the unaffiliated teams left behind by Miami and Houston to my expansion teams.

I like the real uni's and logos better
Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

How about when trying to take over a historical expansion team?

@MisterG90
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
Never tried before. I'm not that interested in Historical
Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreem View Post
How I play, almost exclusively.
1) Sim through first season of an MLB Quickstart
3) Expand league by 2, one in each league
4) Remove Houston & Miami from the game
5) Remove all minor league teams created for my expansion teams
6) Assign the unaffiliated minor leage teams left from removing Miami and Houston to my expansion teams
7) Customize playoffs (this will get auto changed when you expand, and you have to reset it if you want to keep current postseason setup)
8) Make all coaches on expansion teams free agents
9) Do any neccisary editing to my expansion teams (owner profile, colors, logos, parks, etc.)
10) Retire #42 on both expansion teams

I then pick one and take it over. This gives me a very HIGH level of immersion, as I am forced to fill all levels of minors, both players and coaches. It allows me to be in complete control from the birth of my team. I do this all on the first day of the offseason, the expansion draft gets auto scheduled for a few days after free agency starts.

As a side note, I usually always make my owner a 10 in patience, to ensure a long leash as we go through the first few years of build our club. I'm sure there are things I missed but this is the basic system I follow, in the process of setting up my new game in 17 now using this way. If you have questions just ask and I'd be happy to share!
I've always just expanded by two teams...now I have to try this!
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
Should be much easier (as in to set up, not gameplay easier) this year with the historical minors and assosiated players. Means you can actually run a full system and search for the diamonds in the rough that history forgot instead of it being MLB players + promising regens, and it's sorta what I'm doing, except my run isn't an expansion, it's just pre-Ruth 1919 Yankees. Thow in a slightly higher TCR along with whatever other tweaks you usualy run and you should have a great run at it.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

Here's what i do, and it's a huge PITA!!!!

I start with the premise that the game doesn't handle expansions in the same way MLB has the past bunch of times. The game allows you to protect whatever number of players you select and do 1 big draft. IRL, teams submitted a list, usually protecting 15 players. Then, round 1 occurred and each team lost 1 player. then, they got to protect 3 more prior to round two, and again prior to round 3.

This to me is a real big deal. IRL, if I have two similar 1b's, I might leave both unprotected, then pull one back after I lose the other. The game doesn't allow for that logic. The game also does a poor job (at least prior to 17; haven't tried it yet w/ this years' version) handling big salaries. If there was an expansion today, for example, no way do the Yankees protect A-Rod, and no way does he get taken. But the AI doesn't get this. So, this is what I do:

1. Set the game up for a 2 team expansion, allow each team to protect 23 players, auto-protect w/ under 3 years experience.
2. Let the AI auto-protect. Then, from each screen's protection list, I copy / paste the lists to a spreadsheet, noting who got protected
3. Next, I go thru team by team and edit the list, noting who they should protect as top 15, and who the two or three next best players are. I copy these next best players to another sheet
4. I then go thru as both teams and draft 1 player from each team.
5. Then, I go back to the lists and manually protect 3 more players based on who was just drafted, and repeat. I do this for 3 rounds.
6. In another version of the game I expand with no draft.
7. Using the trade function I then move the drafted players to the new expansion teams. When I do this, I randomly include about 6 minor leaguers per team, of minimal to medium potential.
8. I then trade these minor leagers between the two expansion teams to try to balance out their systems.

It's a PITA, but I find it's the only way to realistically draft two expansion teams while protecting the AI one from adding too many inflated salaries while drafting a "complete" roster with some sort of balance. And, it stops the other teams from stupid protection decisions, or from losing both of their 1b options, from my example at the start.

I really wish Marcus would change how expansion works in the game, since in my opinion, it is not realistic, but for all I know this adds a huge level of confusion. Hope this helps!!!
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote