Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
jmuelly
Minors (Double A)

GM or Manager or both

What does everyone do? I'm new to the series and torn. I kind of want to just be GM and let the manager handle things but may feel overwhelmed with so much top down control, is there assistance in any of this? I consider doing both because Id fear my manager may not play someone id want to get playing time, but I also like that I may need to find a manager that does as I wish (if thats a things in OOTP IDK)

I'm new, undecided, and excited.
jmuelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

I usually start out GM only then switch at some point when the team becomes mostly my players.

You can delegate most tasks to your assistant GM or coaches if you want less micromanagement. If you're just worried about particular players getting playing time you can force the AI to start a player even if you have a coach in control of the lineups.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Vermin360
Major Leagues

I'm pretty new as of last season as well, and stuck with just managing for my first season of OotP. This allowed me to focus on the on-field action on a daily basis while slowly digging into all the depth of content and charts in the game.

This season I'm continuing my two manager dynasties, and starting a new GM dynasty - probably with a team I'm not overly attached to so if I make a mess of things I don't destroy their chances of any success for generations to come. I may do a historical GM dynasty in order to have some real world stats to compare my team's success to.

Manager, Chicago Cubs, 2015-2019
Manager, Oklahoma City Dodgers, 2016-2018
GM, Philadelphia Athletics, 1871-1872
GM, Detroit Red Wings, 1993-1994

Vermin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

I started with GM mode and I got frustrated sometimes when the manager wouldn't play the guys I wanted the way I intended... Billy Beane, I feel ya

Eventually I switched to GM & Manager and I enjoyed having full control, but I realized that I didn't have the patience to do all the little things

Lately I've been running games by taking over a failing or expansion franchise as GM/Manager, setting things up the way I want; I turn over most of the roster, build young, and get things rolling. When we start to get respectable I promote a manager and sit back as GM and work player acquisition only because that seems to be the most fun for me.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
jmuelly
Minors (Double A)

The player management and team building is what I look forward to most. I'll be using the Brewers so this year will be especially fun to start in doing so.

So if you start as GM/manager in my case counsel would be let go? I can delegate and rehire a manager at any point in time then?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmuelly View Post
So if you start as GM/manager in my case counsel would be let go? I can delegate and rehire a manager at any point in time then?
I'd leave him in there. He seems to be fairly observant as a manager, and you don't need to make a move until your talent matures if the team isn't responding the way you want.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
jmuelly
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
I'd leave him in there. He seems to be fairly observant as a manager, and you don't need to make a move until your talent matures if the team isn't responding the way you want.

[
I agree entirely. He’salso a local and a fan favorite. I amonly implying that if I manage games I have to let him go, or can I managegames myself while Counsell still holds the title manager and is credited thew/l to his career, just overridden by my in game decisions. I’ve never playedbefore sorry for the idiot question. Ultimately I’d like to build my team and maintain success as a GM withsome help running the lower levels. Ireally don’t care to assign all my prospects in the lower levels and set all thelineups. I’d rather delegate some of thatwhile overseeing the roster as a whole while trusting my scouts and those thatI hire to some extent. Clearly we allhave favorites who I’m sure we’d like to see thrive in their system, as wouldany real GM.

I play a lot of MLB the Show and I often find myself simmingto build my team, clearly it’s nowhere near the depth of OOTP in that regardbut I enjoy trying to scoop up that next great prospect or finding a way toacquire an ace on a small market team. Sadly the Show is all too easy to do some of this.

I greatly look forward to seeing what guy like Lucroy,Smith, Jeffress, Peralta, Garza (ugh) can net in return to further bolter myrebuild. I can’t wait to see if Carter,Young Jr, Middlebrooks can find success and give me either a low risk trade assetor short term fill at the MLB level.

i’m stoked, I wish they’d have this type of simulator forNFL, NBA, College FB or BB. Maybe theydo, but this sort of team management gets me excited!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
risp2out
All Star Reserve

I usually act as GM and manager, but I will also do things like start a historical year, and create two human aliases. With one, I will GM and manage a team in one league (say, Brooklyn Dodgers 1950) and with the other, I will just manage or just GM (say, the 1950 Chicago White Sox). That keeps me interested in what's going on in both leagues, and adds a little variety. When I just manage, it's fun to get frustrated with the GM for his roster moves, but still try to get the team to perform its best from day-to-day. Vice versa when I'm just GM'ing. When I do both, I beat myself up for everything, when trades don't work out, or when I leave a starter in too long. No matter what, OOTP is always fun!
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I do both, but on the manager side I let my bench coach handle a number of things that I have less interest in - like defensive shifts and line-ups.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
Elf Marine
Minors (Single A)

I start out in the minors where you can't do anything other than be the manager. As manager I let my assistants do defensive shifts and sometimes base running (I don't run as often as I should). Once I make the big leagues I am the GM so that if the manager is not the style I want then I replace them although I have been hired in the big leagues as a manager before. I keep things as real as possible that way. Start unemployed and work my way up doing the job I am supposed to do. Eventually I might win a World Series. That would be awesome knowing it is because of my team building.
Elf Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #11
jmuelly
Minors (Double A)

Is there any way to really track the players you’ve tradedthroughout their careers without searching them? I’d love to have it brought to my attentionsomeone I traded became a star or flamed out whatever it may be inbetween. I have horrible memory so if Itrade someone I’m not overly attached to or unfamiliar with I’m likely notgoing to recognize them 3-5 years later if they emerge, or completely disappear. Flip side it’d also be cool to know I receivedplayer A as a throw in when they become successful. Too often I’m afraid I’d be like hmm wheredid this guy come from.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

Playing as the Brewers, I just run as a GM, and let my manager (Craig Counsell) manager.

Since being the GM has me busy with player acquisitions, the draft, and the minor league system, it's nice to have a manager handle the day-to-day operations of the team, setting lineups, bullpens, and starting rotations.

If I find early in the season that I want things done differently than the manager, I get involved at that point, set lineups and the pitching staff daily, and then remove my manager from his post after the season is over. I don't like mid-season changes for the most part.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

I cannot speak for others, but I find that there is a difference between games that are simmed and games that are actually played out.

Simmed games usually mean better (and more realistic) stats for my team. But games that are played out, tend to result in sloppier play and especially poorer outings by pitchers. I have the discovered that the quickest way to cool down a hot player is to play out a game.

I can sim a month's worth of games and my ace will always keep us close and in the game. The moment I play out a game, he will give up six runs in two innings. Even Joey Votto in my sims puts up typical Joey Votto stats. As soon as I play out a game, Votto will go 0-4 with 4 K's. It's uncanny.

I used to remember how to "sim" a game and to watch the game play out at the same time. I want to watch all the new 3D stuff, but I don't want to lose games! lol!
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
ttaka808
Minors (Triple A)

I play as the GM and manager, but I let the bench coach set the lineups and pitching rotations unless they do something stupid. Basically, I play as the GM with the power of the manager just in case.
ttaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
ThePretender
All Star Starter

I have to be both. My strategy generally relies on using undervalued players and platoon players. The computer can't figure out that players need to be platooned, and occasionally puts in replacement level guys over players that I find who are underrated, and it cost a team I had nearly 20 wins from one season to the next. And no, there weren't injuries/declines or players leaving via FA, or bad luck. Just the computer picked replacement level guys over good platoon players or made bizarre lineup or bullpen choices (like, say, leaving a #2 SP in the minors over a #5 SP lol).

I don't trust the computer to make any roster or lineup decisions at all.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
Blackened30
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I use GM only mode and leave most lineup and in-game strategy decisions to my manager. For me, it adds some roleplaying to the game; I may not agree with who my manager plays, but my job is just to give him the tools. I'm not above using force start at position to get my way, unless the manager has enough clout to tell me to back off.

I've been tempted to try manager only mode, but I get too attached to watching my players develop and accumulate stats, and I'd be annoyed if my GM traded someone interesting off.
Blackened30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #17
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaka808 View Post
I play as the GM and manager, but I let the bench coach set the lineups and pitching rotations unless they do something stupid. Basically, I play as the GM with the power of the manager just in case.
This is basically me, too. The "Billy Beane" role, where I'm mostly the GM, but not afraid to step in and let the manager (bench coach) know he's an idiot from time to time...
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I play as the GM. I've always been more interested in the GM side of things and don't have patience for things like defensive shifts, base running, etc. The reason I made the switch to OOTP in the first place (back in 2008) is that it has the most immersive GM experience of all the baseball games out there (indeed, you don't have to make a single managerial decision and still have a lot of fun).

Then, add in every single past MLB season and the ability to easily create fictional leagues, and Markus had a customer for life!

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I play as both since I like to micromanage my teams.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #20
oriolesmeep
Minors (Double A)

GM or Manager, but not both. I use my force-start function for realism (the $15 million guy that you've regretted signing ever since is a starting pitcher - even if there are better cheaper options) but otherwise let the manager handle my lineups/staff.
When I start a historical save next version, I'll probably play as GM/Manager, as the role seems more realistic, especially for early leagues. But in today's modern MLB, I can't see a situation where a single person performs both roles at the same time.
oriolesmeep is offline   Reply With Quote