Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Crazyjoe0813
Minors (Single A)

Pitcher as DH

So I am new to OOTP and I started play in a fictional league. One of my new draft picks is a pitcher who also happens to have pretty good ratings at offense / outfield.

If I wanted to use him as a DH on days he doesn't pitch will he be able to recover pitching stamina?

Also, is there a way to make him hit for himself rather than use a DH on the days that he does pitch?
Crazyjoe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

I do not know the answers to your question, but I would be extremely careful. Tired players get injured more:

From the OOTP Manual:

"Tired players don't perform as well, and are also more prone to suffering injuries. Pitchers are often very tired or even exhausted immediately after pitching. It's also important to note that fatigue can accumulate over time and have long-term adverse impact on players. So, be careful how hard you work that young ace in AA!

Players who are tired are represented on player lists with an orange, half-full battery icon, with the player's name in yellow. Players who are exhausted are represented on player lists with a red, almost-empty battery icon, with the player's name in yellow. Fatigue for pitchers is driven primarily by the number of pitches thrown in the past five days, together with the pitcher's Stamina rating. Position player fatigue is driven primarily by games played."

I think there are a couple of important points there. I did test it out in game, and the fatigue does appear to be separate. I put a 10% exhausted pitcher, changed his position to 1B and he became 100% un-fatigued. While they do appear separate and you would probably be able to do this, just ask yourself if he is more valuable as a pitcher or as a batter, and you run the risk of overworking him too much. Batters get injured quite a bit, and it increases his chance of injury. If he is a valuable pitching prospect, I don't think it would be worthwhile to try it. If this guy is great at pitching and hitting, and he is 30 and you are trying to make the run for the postseason, I say work him to the death.

One last point, if you are in a DH league, unless his batting ratings are really, really good, most likely when he gets to the MLB level, your DH up there will be just as good if not better than the batter that he is, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just some things to think about, and although I do not know the 100% correct answer to your question, I've found that in things like this, more often than not, OOTP is exactly like real life, and I always ask my self, "would this be smart to do in real life". If the answer is probably not, then I wouldn't do it in game either.

Hopefully someone has run some long term tests on this so you can get a more definitive answer, but I always like to be better safe than sorry.

EDIT: OOTP 14 Manual Injury Link It is good to read when you have a chance.

EDIT: Also a good read on Pitcher Abuse Points(PAP), when you have some time. I just wanted to show you this as an example of how true to life this game is. Not that playing him as a position player will give him PAP, but any game that uses something this detailed, well I wouldn't put it past them to also have an injury/fatigue model that somehow combines position and pitcher fatigue in order to determine injuries.

Last edited by farmkidD2; 01-21-2014 at 01:41 PM.
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjoe0813 View Post
So I am new to OOTP and I started play in a fictional league. One of my new draft picks is a pitcher who also happens to have pretty good ratings at offense / outfield.

If I wanted to use him as a DH on days he doesn't pitch will he be able to recover pitching stamina?

Also, is there a way to make him hit for himself rather than use a DH on the days that he does pitch?
See Painmantle's thread. You can not use a SP as a DH when he is not the SP
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...babe-ruth.html
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
farmkidD2
Minors (Single A)

Yeah, if you do this, I would highly recommend to follow painmantle's advice and give them rest after a start and before a start before throwing them into the lineup. It looks like one GM didn't do that and has had no problems of injury from over-use, but he could have just been lucky. As I said before, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Proceed with caution, but like Painmantle says, it can be a lot of fun. Post your results in that thread, it would be fun to follow up on this.
farmkidD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

In my current fictional league, I have a lefty pitcher/center fielder who is my No. 5 starter and he plays CF three days a week. He's doing very well at both spots. As someone else mentioned, you have to follow painmantle's advice, most importantly the six-man rotation and make sure his position is set to SP.

Although I believe painmaintle suggests a day off before the guy pitches. I haven't done that. On the six-day cycle starting with the day he pitches, this is how I do it and have had no injury problems at all.
Day 1: Pitch (95-pitch limit; I sim games)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Start in CF (usually showing 70% health/rest prior to the game)
Day 5: Start in CF (shows 100% health/rest prior to the game)
Day 6: Start in CF

Now, this has led me to wonder if it's kind of cheating the system because it clearly looks as if his health/rest is being determined based on him being a pitcher. In real life, it doesn't seem plausible that a guy could be at 70% after making a start, play CF that day, then be more rested the next day. But that's what's happening in my game. Of course, if he blows his arm out when next time I play, then I'll rethink that theory.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote