Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Hotstreak
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Scout recommends terrible hidden players

So it's the off-season in my game and recently my head scout has found a few hidden players, except when I actually look at the players he's finding/signing they all have terrible potential. His scouting reports on the players all but declare them talentless hacks who are destined for the minor leagues. My question is, why is my scout recommending these players on the one hand, and giving them terrible scouting reports on the other?

Thanks
Hotstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Well I've wondered that before, but I have come to the conclusion that it's because if he just recommended the good prospects, which are pretty rare, you would hear from him so rarely you might think the scouting system was broken. Good news though is that sometimes those no talent guys actually turn into something half decent, with enough time in the international complex.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
le receveur
All Star Starter

I assume you are talking about international 16 y.o. prospect who are signing for $0 bonus. correct? because same as in RL these are the guys in the Dominican League, and Venezuelan League... how many actually ever make it over to the US? you sign them, try to develop them in case one evolves into a major leaguer...
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
I assume you are talking about international 16 y.o. prospect who are signing for $0 bonus. correct? because same as in RL these are the guys in the Dominican League, and Venezuelan League... how many actually ever make it over to the US? you sign them, try to develop them in case one evolves into a major leaguer...
I realize just as many players are playing in the DR at 16, that are in the MAC conference, but the DR has has some great stars come out of their camps.
All-Time Stars of the Dominican Republic | MLB.com: Dominican Republic (DR)
Retired Players | MLB.com: Dominican Republic (DR)
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I realize just as many players are playing in the DR at 16, that are in the MAC conference, but the DR has has some great stars come out of their camps.

most of these guys are more comparable to the International Amateur FA (the July 2 guys) than the scouting find. For example Elvis Andrus first on link got a six figure bonus according to this

Article | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

and seriously MLB

Name:  pedro.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  19.6 KB

well at least it's not a redsox uniform...
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
most of these guys are more comparable to the International Amateur FA (the July 2 guys) than the scouting find. For example Elvis Andrus first on link got a six figure bonus according to this

Article | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
oh, I had thought thats what the OP and you were referring to. In an online league I have a 2 time All star come out of my Int Complex. He is only 21. The random finds tend to just be minor league filler.

"Stay Strong"

Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
oh, I had thought thats what the OP and you were referring to. In an online league I have a 2 time All star come out of my Int Complex. He is only 21. The random finds tend to just be minor league filler.
if he was, then I was wrong... but he did refer to 'hidden player'....

btw OP I found when I increase the budget of international scouting, and got a scout who was outstanding at it, I did get a few better talents,,, but no all-stats like the international FA... as TG said, most usually never make it above rookie league. but who knows.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well I've wondered that before, but I have come to the conclusion that it's because if he just recommended the good prospects, which are pretty rare, you would hear from him so rarely you might think the scouting system was broken. Good news though is that sometimes those no talent guys actually turn into something half decent, with enough time in the international complex.
^^^^^^This

A guys Potential at 16yrs old isn't the same as it will be when he's 17,19,21 etc... Like in real life, people grow up get stronger and better at things. I have seen players from the international complex who looked like dud's grow substantially and end up being significant contributors or even All-Stars. Remember this guy is just a kid with talent, his true potential wont be known for 6, 8 maybe even 10 years.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
le receveur
All Star Starter

After over 30 years of sim, my scout finally finds a 5Star 17 y.o. prospect (ie not a FA who I had to bid $10 million on)

Name:  scout.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  44.4 KB

i'll report when he flames out in AA
Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After over 30 years of sim, my scout finally finds a 5Star 17 y.o. prospect (ie not a FA who I had to bid $10 million on)

Attachment 322115

i'll report when he flames out in AA
Playing stats only?

"Stay Strong"

Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Playing stats only?

hybrid I guess. still using the other ratings and personality traits especially for the draft. will also sometimes notice number of pitches (even is you get no ratings, you still get the number of lines, though one might still be mediocre).

and I still have scout ratings on as low, but more to get an order of magnitude going through the draft and FA.

so yeah looking at IFA, is pretty meaningless to me. I actually really only find them useful to fill out my rookie league team, when I have gaps after the draft.

EDIT: and this may be why I am way intransigent on what I consider meaningless stats. :-)... I couldn't even tell you on my roster who leads in RBIs, W (saves I know, because when my former AS turned Mitch Williams after the WS fiasco I was curious who the PC would favour)

Last edited by le receveur; 01-20-2014 at 12:27 PM.