Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
toml
Bat Boy

Waiver Wire Question

I just started messing around with the waive wire system, and the claims I've made on players seem to not be going through. From what I can tell, players I've claimed are being released before my waiver claim is executed, and then becoming free agents. Is there a way to disable player releases while a player is on waivers? Thanks!
toml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml View Post
I just started messing around with the waive wire system, and the claims I've made on players seem to not be going through. From what I can tell, players I've claimed are being released before my waiver claim is executed, and then becoming free agents. Is there a way to disable player releases while a player is on waivers? Thanks!
Two questions back at you:
  • Is this happening consistently or has it just happened here and there?
  • Why would this be a problem anyway as, if the players have been released, why couldn't you just sign them? Unless you are worried about their price going up and costing more than the waived contracts you were trying to acquire.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
toml
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Two questions back at you:
  • Is this happening consistently or has it just happened here and there?
  • Why would this be a problem anyway as, if the players have been released, why couldn't you just sign them? Unless you are worried about their price going up and costing more than the waived contracts you were trying to acquire.
I do not see this happening every time, but it tends to happen more if the player is better. I'm seeing this happen about 50% of the time overall.

It's a problem because of the cost issue, mainly. One released claim was a cost controlled 4th outfielder, whose free agency asking price was above my budget limit. I can of course simply assign him to my team, but it can become a bit onerous to keep track of since I don't get an email letting me know my waiver claim failed...not to mention AI clubs whose claims are released don't have that option.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Ah, thanks for your response. Well, I don't think there's anyway of preventing the AI from doing what it thinks is right (which may seem illogical at times) short of temporarily taking over the team as commissioner (Act as . . .) during the player(s) waiver period. Maybe somebody else will know something better about this.

- Bru

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
toml
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Ah, thanks for your response. Well, I don't think there's anyway of preventing the AI from doing what it thinks is right (which may seem illogical at times) short of temporarily taking over the team as commissioner (Act as . . .) during the player(s) waiver period. Maybe somebody else will know something better about this.
OK, thanks for taking a look.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
toml
Bat Boy

Quote:
Just in case anyone else has this problem, I think it was because I had the Waiver period and DFA period equal; I shortened the waiver period by a day and have not seen any waived players released since.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just in case anyone else has this problem, I think it was because I had the Waiver period and DFA period equal; I shortened the waiver period by a day and have not seen any waived players released since.
Cool! I swear, I could learn something new every day about this game if I hung around here long enough, even after seven years. Yeah, come to think of it, that could explain it. Thanks for coming back and sharing.

- Bru

Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Things brings to mind a question I had.

Wouldn't a released player be available for the MLB minimum in real life (or even a prorated percentage of it, based on season remaining)?

I was under the impression that the team releasing the player is still on the hook for their contract the rest of the year.. maybe OOTP just doesn't model this correctly...

which brings to mind a second question.

I am halfway through the season, and I see guys sitting out there as free agents that I'd like to sign. It seems as though I'm going to be hit for the full value of their contract demand , even though only half a season is remaining. Shouldn't it be a prorated amount? Or , alternatively, does OOTP just reduce their demand to account for the shorter season remainder? Doesn't seem like their demands have dropped all that much.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187 View Post
Wouldn't a released player be available for the MLB minimum in real life (or even a prorated percentage of it, based on season remaining)?
It works like that in real life but OOTP doesn't model it that way financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187 View Post
I am halfway through the season, and I see guys sitting out there as free agents that I'd like to sign. It seems as though I'm going to be hit for the full value of their contract demand , even though only half a season is remaining. Shouldn't it be a prorated amount? Or , alternatively, does OOTP just reduce their demand to account for the shorter season remainder? Doesn't seem like their demands have dropped all that much.
I assume you're seeing the salary stated on an annual basis but you'll only pay the player for the amount of time he's actually on your roster. So with half a season gone, while the salary asked might be $2 million per year, you'll only actually pay $1 million since there's only half a season left to play.

By keeping the salary in an annualized format it makes it easier to compare to the other salaries on the club.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I assume you're seeing the salary stated on an annual basis but you'll only pay the player for the amount of time he's actually on your roster. So with half a season gone, while the salary asked might be $2 million per year, you'll only actually pay $1 million since there's only half a season left to play.

By keeping the salary in an annualized format it makes it easier to compare to the other salaries on the club.
I hoped this was the case, but this is what I saw (example numbers)

Cash Remaining for Free for Free Agents 600k
Salary Demand 580k
Leftover for free agents 20k

When he signed for 580k, i did in fact only have 20k left. I'm at work but if necessary I could get screen shots at home.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote