Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
grall1126
Minors (Single A)

Will Buy this game and a Few ?'s

Hi,

I tried the demo game 2012 and I like it. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them?

Purchase on Steam? Yes or no any advantage or disadvantage?

Secondly, I want to play the game as a recreation of the season and not much worry about the "fantasy" component. Therefore, I guess it's best to start at a quick game and just replay the entire season?

I also have a 24" widescreen, on the demo it doesn't use the entire screen for playing purposes. Therefore, the info on the screen is quite small.
Any suggestions?

Looks like a nice game.

I bought the game and now I need to change my forum name without the email address on it. How the heck did I do that?

By the way, I would like to play the Mets for 2013. However, I looked at the starting lineup and its way off as far as a few pitchers are concerned. What is the easiest method to move players from the minors to majors?

Last edited by grall1126; 01-04-2014 at 04:00 PM.
grall1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126@juno.com View Post
I bought the game and now I need to change my forum name without the email address on it. How the heck did I do that?
The only way to change your forum name is to send a PM to Andreas Raht (one of the developers) and he will gladly do it for you.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
grall1126
Minors (Single A)

Thasnks Bowtie thats what I ended up doing
Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

As to your other questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126@juno.com View Post
Hi,

I tried the demo game 2012 and I like it. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them? Sure.

Purchase on Steam? Yes or no any advantage or disadvantage? Well, do you like owning things or "renting" them? Purchase here, you own the game files. Purchase on Steam, you really are just buying the rights to the game for as long as it is made available by Steam (and as long as Steam lasts). People pooh-pooh that thinking, though, saying Steam will be around forever. The game just became available on Steam and it's a bit cheaper over there, but perhaps you want to stick to the tried-and-true file download method until Steam has ironed out any kinks.

Secondly, I want to play the game as a recreation of the season and not much worry about the "fantasy" component. Therefore, I guess it's best to start at a quick game and just replay the entire season? On the Start Screen, click "New Major League Game." It's as simple as that (except remember you are replaying 2012, not 2013).

I also have a 24" widescreen, on the demo it doesn't use the entire screen for playing purposes. Therefore, the info on the screen is quite small.
Any suggestions? Yes. In Start Screen, Preferences (or Game Menu, Preferences), look for Font Size. Try "Increased Font Size" first and see how that does for you. You may notice in just a few spots here and there that the font is a bit big for this window or that label. Only use "Maximum Font Size" if your eyes are truly bothering you, as the mismatched windows and labels problem will be worse. Bear in mind that if you change font size, you need to restart the game for it to take effect. Also, one other thing: Go to Game, Add-Ons Central, and download and install the three sets of skins files. Try the other skins; sometimes you are surprised by what looks better in another skin in terms of font legibility.

Looks like a nice game. Yes, it is.

By the way, I would like to play the Mets for 2013. However, I looked at the starting lineup and its way off as far as a few pitchers are concerned. What is the easiest method to move players from the minors to majors? As I said above, you will be playing with the 2012 Mets. Once you are GM of the team, you control moving players up and down UNLESS you delegate that responsibility to your AI managers: Manager Menu, Manager Options, Team Control Settings, Minor League Promotions/Demotions. This should be set to YOU, not to "Minor League Managers."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
grall1126
Minors (Single A)

Thanks Deja for the info, I ended up buying the game through Steam, however, next year I can buy it through the company. Either way, it looks like you get the new version each year anyway.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Snarf054
Minors (Double A)

I don't remember where it was but there is a "play in full screen" button somewhere. I've been using it since I started playing.
Snarf054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it's in Preferences as well. I have a 17-inch laptop display and I use the 1920x1080 window setting, which works well for me. OP may not realize that the maximum window size is 2560x1600 which may fill up a 24-inch screen (I assume he means diagonal, by the way) whether he plays in windowed or full-screen mode.

The thing I think he is talking about, however, is that the font may be so tiny on his display, since it is huge, that he needs that font adjustment that I mentioned. The game does not adjust the size of the font and graphics for those various window settings; they are window sizes, not screen resolution settings, AFAIK.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I tried the demo game 2012 and I like it.

What version are you playing? The version numbers do not corespond to years. OOTP14 was released in 2013. Are you playing OOTP13 (released in 2012) or OOTP12?

Quote:
I bought the game
OOTP14?

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 01-05-2014 at 11:44 AM.
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
demjansk1942
Minors (Single A)

I am playing the new version on Steam, I did get the program to fill the entire screen and let me look at the preferences again to get the baseball diamond in the middle. I had half the screen being utilized.
demjansk1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126 View Post
By the way, I would like to play the Mets for 2013. However, I looked at the starting lineup and its way off as far as a few pitchers are concerned. What is the easiest method to move players from the minors to majors?
Hi! The default rosters are from the beginning of the season and so don't reflect anything that happened in season. Try these updated rosters if you want something a little more current.

Hope you enjoy OOTP!
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
demjansk1942
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the link lucas. I did read the post and for now I will keep the roster of the 2013 Mets and play a season and see how it works. I am going to post a few questions in the new section and a problem I found with the Steam version.
demjansk1942 is offline   Reply With Quote