Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Lets Talk about Defense Part 2 - The Upgrades

So far my team, the Hungary Hungry Hippos, have excelled at what they were built to do. Stop other teams from scoring.

Even though we are tearing up the bronze league for the second season (I was upset in the playoffs in season 1) I am already looking at parts of the team that I could upgrade without sacrificing too much on the defensive side.

So here are some of my thoughts

1. Harrison Bader (CF) - Probably my weakest outfielder in terms of both Fielding and Hitting ratings. I have flexibility here and could replace him with any outfielder. The obvious choice would be to replace him with perfect Trout. I would not lose out defensively and it is an obvious offensive upgrade. The other option would be a different outfielder that I could put in a corner spot where I may be able to sacrifice a little defense for some offense. I am leaning toward Trout although I would need a few more days of PP to even be able to afford him.

2. Brooks Robinson (3B) - Hard to find a stellar defensive 3B in the market. I was thinking that I could pick up a SS like Lindor and convert him to 3B where he would be a 91 rated 3B with better offensive ratings than Robinson.

3. Oquedo - Solid 2B. Decent average and good defense. Not looking for a ton of offense out of second so eventually I could see me replace him with Ozzie Smith who could be a 109 rated 2B with the ability to get on base and steal bases at the top of the lineup.

4. Molina - Obvious first choice without breaking the bank would be Posey. I would sacrifice a little arm rating for added offense.

I am open to all suggestions in regard to finding upgrades to the offensive side of things without sacrificing the defense. I am sure there are players I have not seen yet or am not thinking of.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maddox; 01-25-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Kushiel
All Star Starter

For defensive 3rd baseman Buddy Bell is an OK choice that only costs about 6k with I think 92 Defense. The OBP for Trout with his defense makes it hard to not take him. Lindor is not too expensive and rocks 2nd if you do not need a big bat there.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
For defensive 3rd baseman Buddy Bell is an OK choice that only costs about 6k with I think 92 Defense. The OBP for Trout with his defense makes it hard to not take him. Lindor is not too expensive and rocks 2nd if you do not need a big bat there.
Phil Rizzuto can be had for 4550-5550 right now and he's a better OBP guy (worse SLG), better speed, similar 3B defense and better 2B & SS D. Buddy does get pretty elite at 1B. So, Buddy for power or focus on Corner IOF, Phil if you want someone who can play high level 2B/SS, too. EDIT: Dark green is top 25 of all players, light green is top 50.
Attached Images

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-25-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added defensive comparison chart
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Take a look at Vizquel for 2B (trains to 100) or 3B (94). Should be reasonably cheap and is performing well for me in Gold, though I don't know his ratings off the top of my head. Better against LHP even though he's a switch hitter.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Phil Rizzuto can be had for 4550-5550 right now and he's a better OBP guy (worse SLG), better speed, similar 3B defense and better 2B & SS D. Buddy does get pretty elite at 1B. So, Buddy for power or focus on Corner IOF, Phil if you want someone who can play high level 2B/SS, too. EDIT: Dark green is top 25 of all players, light green is top 50.
I like Rizzuto. I might like a little more power there. I can't find Bell in the market or any of my 3 leagues to look at his batting ratings.

I could use them both possibly since I am going to eventually upgrade 3b and 2B. I just liked the idea of Ozzie at 2b. A 109 potentially at 2B with better Eye and Strikeout ratings. Just seems like a natural fit at the top of the order in front of, potentially, Trout, Albert Belle and McReynolds
Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Take a look at Vizquel for 2B (trains to 100) or 3B (94). Should be reasonably cheap and is performing well for me in Gold, though I don't know his ratings off the top of my head. Better against LHP even though he's a switch hitter.
Thanks, I will take a look at him
Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
However, if you're looking for power, save yourself the time!
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I will get power with Trout if I get him and I have Belle and McReynolds. I would like a little pop out of my 3b position since I don't have any power at all at SS (Aparicio), 2B (Oquendo) or LF (Ichiro)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I will get power with Trout if I get him and I have Belle and McReynolds. I would like a little pop out of my 3b position since I don't have any power at all at SS (Aparicio), 2B (Oquendo) or LF (Ichiro)
Brooks is your best option unless you want to go up to the diamond Brett (96) or Santo (96).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like Rizzuto. I might like a little more power there. I can't find Bell in the market or any of my 3 leagues to look at his batting ratings.

I could use them both possibly since I am going to eventually upgrade 3b and 2B. I just liked the idea of Ozzie at 2b. A 109 potentially at 2B with better Eye and Strikeout ratings. Just seems like a natural fit at the top of the order in front of, potentially, Trout, Albert Belle and McReynolds
Rizzuto has been very good to me. This is his seventh year on my team. He hit's right around .300, and has won three straight Gold Gloves at 2B. I've got him playing 3B this year, and he'll at least be in the running for a Gold Glove. He definitely won't give you much pop though.

Here's Bell's ratings:
Name:  Bell.png
Views: 683
Size:  443.9 KB
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Trout is definitely a better long term option, but I'll throw out Paul Blair as a more affordable interim step. He put up a few 5 WAR seasons before Trout, and did well as a fourth outfielder after Trout.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
Thalion
Major Leagues

I love your team name, Maddox
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #13
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
I love your team name, Maddox
Thanks, just don't ask me how I thought of it. It just popped in my head when I was trying to come up with something unique.

It's a shame none of the potential targets are on the Market right now. I am anxious enough that I may have even purchased points. I am less than 3,000 away fro the standard perfect Trout price

Last edited by Maddox; 01-25-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks, just don't ask me how I thought of it. It just popped in my head when I was trying to come up with something unique.

It's a shame none of the potential targets are on the Market right now. I am anxious enough that I may have even purchased points. I am less than 3,000 away fro the standard perfect Trout price
Wait for Perfect Trout. I don't see a single reason that every team shouldn't have Trout and Betts. I've been contemplating what the End Game team looks like and I think they are both on it.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #15
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Buddy Bell is on the market this morning for 5500. Also, I use Jay Bell for my 2nd baseman on my Lone Stars. He gives 105 D at 2nd.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

On your catcher situation, you might as well break down and buy some elite defensive catcher (like one of those 130+ rated catchers that go for 2-4k) AND you can buy posey as the backup (this solves another problem for you as well (backup catcher, but also backup RH 1B that you can sub in for hernandez if you like). All told, cost you 4-6k PP but then you wont have to worry about that for probably another 2-3 seasons at any rate. Its a setup ive used, and it works pretty effectively.

Whether you do this first or get the perfect trout that you want is something you have to figure out though. Hopefully you will get some PP from playoffs/end of season to make both possible. GL
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
daves
Hall Of Famer

Sandoval is a real good defensive 3b. He's an 89 overall. When he was with the Giants.

Last edited by daves; 01-26-2019 at 09:12 AM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Vern Stephens goes for under 7K and gets to 91 at 2B with very good pop. Check out that zone rating!
Attached Images
Image Image 
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #19
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Vern Stephens goes for under 7K and gets to 91 at 2B with very good pop. Check out that zone rating!
He can also get pretty good at 3b, but man, it's taking him a while to get there. I started trying to teach him last year but he was so bad and so slow at learning I had to change plans. This year stuck with it, but now a season in and he's only barely playable there.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #20
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Okay, I broke down when I saw Trout listed with a reasonable buy it now price so I caved and bought some points. I was only 3,000 points shy of the buy it now price.

I will still continue to debate Bell, Rizzuto and Ozzie smith as potential replacements at 2nd and 3rd. Brooks Robinson came around some and pulled his average up to .255 so I don't feel any other move is urgent. Actually none of the moves are urgent as I am running away with the division.