Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

New player-some thoughts

I'm a long-time OOTP player, just bought FHM5 and set up a small (2x6 team divisions/no minors but reserve players) fictional to get a feel for the game. I understand that the majority of folk don't play out or watch games but I do, and the match screen seems sadly lacking. For instance-1) the rink image disappears after any goal is scored and reappears randomly, 2)on "many highlights" setting the rink appears bottom centre of the screen and obscures completely one of the goalies.3) The visiting team is on the left of the scoreboard and plays from left to right but the goalies are the other way round so that the visitor is on the right. 4) There seems to be wasted space on the screen, couldn't both teams' current lines be shown side-by-side showing matchups etc. It seems to me that some improvements here would help the immersion factor, particularly when getting to know players/teams in your league.
I've been a big supporter of Markus and OOTP since 2005 so these comments are meant constructively!!
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Thanks for the feedback. A couple of those are on the bug list already and will hopefully be fixed soon.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Jeff, thanks for the reply. I imagine that a major reworking of the match screen is a major task but if the goalie images can be reversed and the disappearing rink issue resolved in a patch, that would be a good start.
Perhaps the ability to input our own news messages/stories (like OOTP) would also aid immersion in a league.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I would like too see out of town scores or league news scrolling at the bottom of the game engine.

Scrap out the highlights and have a more detailed play by play in it's place.

Like OOTP-have right up to the minute player stats along side the ingame stats.

Have teams W-L-OL records underneath the team name on the scoreboard.

The goalies also should have up to the minute save pct. stats also instead of what now is present.

Besides that I like FHM5 and have yet to have a major problem or crash.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

It seems, according to the play-by-play, that short handed teams are being called for icing the puck and having a face-off back in the short-handed team defensive zone......isn't this an incorrect ruling?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
It seems, according to the play-by-play, that short handed teams are being called for icing the puck and having a face-off back in the short-handed team defensive zone......isn't this an incorrect ruling?
Yeah, that shouldn't be possible, the icing events are supposed to be converted to dump-ins when a team is shorthanded. We've had occasional reports of this before, but haven't been able to track down what's causing it. Do you recall if it was close to the end of a penalty, and/or what part of the ice the puck was in most recently when it happened?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Jeff, I'll keep a look out and make a note of those details.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Jeff, just noticed a defensive team called for icing when short-handed. Puck had been in defensive face-off circle, iced and called back after 30 seconds of a 2 minute minor.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

OK, definitely not right at the end of the penalty, then. We'll have another look at that.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Jeff, As far as I can recall, none of the icing calls have happened right at the end of a penalty. If that had been the case I would have assumed at the time that it was perhaps the clock and play-by-play being slightly out of sync rather than a bug.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

This is my first go w/ FHM. I'm only interested in single season replays, along the lines of Strat-o-Matic. What I'd love to see is the out of town scoreboard and also the ability to jump into ANY game as coach, just like OOTP. Finally, Strat's PC version shows ALL the players names on the ice, with an animated version option that shows a small puck that moves from player to player as you follow the play-by-play. It's a nice addition to the play-by-play. I understand it would require a rework of the game screen, but, anyway... thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the ring. Thx!
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
Ninja7x
Bat Boy

Id like to see the game stats screen back out in the main match engine screen rather than have to click into it to view stats. Bump on being able to see both lineups at the same time too. Far too much space wasted on the match screen I think. But this is constructive feedback. I love the game. The play by play section could be just half the left hand side. Personally I dont watch it at all as it scrolls so fast. I tend to be tracking shots, watching my lineup and following the highlights. Id like to make more informed decisions on tactics on the fly, this involves tracking the stats which are hidden from the main view so difficult to do so without jumping between screens. Maybe a tab view to be able to switch information out would work to allow people to set up their preferred views like the home screen tabs?

Last edited by Ninja7x; 11-20-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Ninja7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Jeff, a game I watched today had matching 5 minute fighting majors and a 10 minute misconduct apparently count towards match power play totals. When the fighting majors occurred the penalty description box appeared but was blank and the rink image disappeared. In the same game there were three examples of SH teams being called for icing....after 1.14/0.58 and 1.09 of minor penalties.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #14
BKL
All Star Reserve

New player-some thoughts

Quote:
Jeff, thanks for the reply. I imagine that a major reworking of the match screen is a major task but if the goalie images can be reversed and the disappearing rink issue resolved in a patch, that would be a good start.

Perhaps the ability to input our own news messages/stories (like OOTP) would also aid immersion in a league.

The disappearing rink has been a problem for over a year, so it would be nice for it to be fixed.

Also in my opinion I think the in-game display with the scrolling action list isn’t very useful - it moves so quickly etc that it’s hard to read. I’d rather have that space be used to show something like a rink shot indicator (like on the in-game stats page) so you can see the shots as they happen and from where or something like that.

It’s a great game overall, regardless. But I hope to see in-game features and play to be a major focus in FHM6. Right now, I more focus on team building and management rather than in-game play. This was the same with OOTP baseball in its early years and then I became more interested in the in-game play as it became more refined. I expect the same will happen with FHM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BKL; 11-25-2018 at 05:50 AM.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:08 AM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Jeff, As far as I can recall, none of the icing calls have happened right at the end of a penalty. If that had been the case I would have assumed at the time that it was perhaps the clock and play-by-play being slightly out of sync rather than a bug.
Sebastian found the problem, there was one situation where the icings weren't being disabled for the SH team. Should be fixed in the next update.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

It also seems to me that players are getting credit for "game winning goals" when their teams tie a game (I have ties/no overtime/no shootout). One of the teams in my league has an 0-5-2 record yet two players have GWG credited to their stats.

On a different (game screen) tack,would it not be possible to have the names of the players currently on the ice displayed on the rink image? The puck could be much smaller and it would be much easier to assess line match-ups etc. As I've said before, I realise that the majority of people may sim games/seasons rather than play them out but I guess there must be some interest in this area judging by the number of views that the thread has accumulated. Again, these are thoughts from a long-time supporter of OOTP and not an anti-FHM rant!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
Weiss
Bat Boy

Personally I play out all my games rather than just sim them, there's nothing like seeing your team go down 3-0 in the first 3 shots to then come back in the 3rd.

Other sim games such as Football Manager can allow you to sim the whole match but because they invest a lot of time and money (almost equivalent to FHM in terms of cost of game) on their match engine, it keeps people watching the matches.

Im not suggesting OOTP overhaul and create a 3-D engine - but it would be nice, considering its the 5th instalment to have a more slicker in game UI with some more detailed info.
Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #18
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

I've watched quite a few games now in my fictional set-up; my intention was, at some point, to take over coaching the worst team but I'm having great difficulty in deducing tactics that teams are using from the play-by-play/scrolling highlights and "puck" image. The puck seems too large to pinpoint where the event is taking place and doesn't always correspond with the play by play (which, on occasion, seems quite vague and contradictory).
Can any more experienced players help with what to look for and what inferences to draw from the information presented by the game screen.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #19
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Following on from my last post re play-by-play/highlights it seems that "takeaways" and "giveaways" are all being described as "giveaways" on the highlights scroll, I have to check the box score immediately following the play to clarify which is which. Also some events like face-offs and blocked shots are being shown on the "highlights" rink image at the opposite end of the ice to where they're being shown on the large "play-by-play" rink image. This adds to the confusion as far as I'm concerned. I'll post them on the bugs board but has anyone else noticed other discrepancies? If these things can be addressed it'll surely make paying out games far more interesting and immersive.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #20
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Following on from my last post re play-by-play/highlights it seems that "takeaways" and "giveaways" are all being described as "giveaways" on the highlights scroll, I have to check the box score immediately following the play to clarify which is which. Also some events like face-offs and blocked shots are being shown on the "highlights" rink image at the opposite end of the ice to where they're being shown on the large "play-by-play" rink image. This adds to the confusion as far as I'm concerned. I'll post them on the bugs board but has anyone else noticed other discrepancies? If these things can be addressed it'll surely make paying out games far more interesting and immersive.
the bold part gets me crazy as well
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote