Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #41
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
lol.. yeah.. I'll write him down.. just got Eric Thames from the CPU.. they offered me him for an ok 3B prospect. We have some power in this lineup.. but can we makeup 11.5 games in the WC race?
With your avatars looking so similar I thought you were talking to yourself for a minute.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #42
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Haha yes, a thread about Cardinals by Cardinals.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #43
rink23
Hall Of Famer

OK, while my MLB Cardinals are cruising through the 2018 season -- 41-20 and owner of a 5.5 game lead over the Cubs -- I do have one issue.
My AA team at Springfield stink. It is in last place with a record of 15-44, although if you'd look at the roster you'd think it would be fairly good.
A glance at the chemistry page and while there is no disruptive, outspoken, selfish or unmotivated players cited, there is "The clubhouse is in a complete shambles, and nobody is trying to fix it. This club needs some leadership, and none of the players on the roster are providing it."
The chemistry overview is listed as feuding and only a couple of players don't have an unhappy face.
Do I fire the manager, probably, bye-bye J-Rod, the coaches all of them? How do I selected his/their replacements?
Also, it says I need a team leader in the clubhouse. Do I find that in Class A and move its best player up?
I can get a handle on how to do it at the big league level, but in the minors, that's another story.
Attached Images
Image Image 
rink23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #44
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

my 2019 cardinals made the wildcard game. that despite having starters Wainwright, Wacha, Alec Hansen, relievers Jace Fry, Tuivailala and Brad Brach all on the 60 day DL

and that's just the pitchers - also LF Tyler Oneill on the 60 day

wainwright had a nice 13-9 record 3.69 ERA in 2018 but was injured in spring training Hansen got 1 start in, and Wacha was injured in September so at least I got most of a season out of him, but lost for the playoffs

Last edited by Whoofe; 04-25-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #45
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Rink... 1. Improve the team, 2. Get a captain. For 2, you can go into the free agent market and sign one to a minor league contract. It doesn’t matter if he plays so long as he is on the AA roster.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #46
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

You guys will also appreciate this:

I just started another KC attempt. Before the season started, I dealt Perez, Duda and my best three prospects to STL for Carson Kelly, Tyler O'Neill, Max Schrock and Voit.

I need the money space and in a few years, I'll need the youth of Schrock and Voit.

Game 1: Duffy goes down for 5 months in the first inning. Game 2, Merrifield goes down for year.

So...yeah.... I don't imagine this is going to turn out well.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #47
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
You guys will also appreciate this:

I just started another KC attempt. Before the season started, I dealt Perez, Duda and my best three prospects to STL for Carson Kelly, Tyler O'Neill, Max Schrock and Voit.

I need the money space and in a few years, I'll need the youth of Schrock and Voit.

Game 1: Duffy goes down for 5 months in the first inning. Game 2, Merrifield goes down for year.

So...yeah.... I don't imagine this is going to turn out well.

not nearly as bad a deal that I made with KC. at trade deadline I dealt Moustakas batting .290 and 40HRs, along with Mondesi, to Atlanta for Max Fried and a couple other prospects.

2 years later Fried has dropped from AAA to A and i'll probly be waiving him in the offseason, as not only has he not developed but his potential has crashed as well. the other prospects I don't remember exactly, one may be on my staff as a reliever, but other than that I think I got zero value from that trade.

on the other hand, Duda and Nick Pratto to the Rangers for Willie Calhoun , Yohander Mendez, and Ronald Guzman was a great one for me. Mendez is a mediocre 5th starter, but Guzman was rookie of the year 2019 and Calhoun was 7th in MVP in 2019. that was the core of my rebuild. I kept Merrifield one season too long, however...
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #48
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I started my new 2018 Cardinals league with today's patch release (19.5.49).

I went with the DH for both leagues but stayed with the 25-man roster (7-man bullpen, 13 position players). Carpenter is my DH with Martinez at 1B and Gyorko at 3B. I kept Luke Voit as the extra position player instead of Munoz because I would not be double-switching or substituting during the game as much as I would if the DH were not in effect.

I used a lineup suggested by Derrick Gould in one of his chats. I had to insert Gyorko in the 7-spot to account for Carpenter being the DH instead of playing third, and I moved Wong ahead of Molina. I think it will be interesting to see how this lineup performs. I like how it spreads the lefties and gives me a leadoff/two-hitter type at the bottom.

RF Fowler
CF Pham
LF Ozuna
1B Martinez
DH Carpenter
SS DeJong
3B Gyorko
2B Wong
C Molina

I kept Jordan Hicks at AAA as the closer. I would like to see him get a full season there instead of pitching out of the bullpen in the majors.

I am playing out every game as manager. In order to keep things interesting with the DH, I am using the warmup rule. I usually don't play this way, but it should keep me in the game and on my toes.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good luck!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #50
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I started my new 2018 Cardinals league with today's patch release (19.5.49).

I went with the DH for both leagues but stayed with the 25-man roster (7-man bullpen, 13 position players). Carpenter is my DH with Martinez at 1B and Gyorko at 3B. I kept Luke Voit as the extra position player instead of Munoz because I would not be double-switching or substituting during the game as much as I would if the DH were not in effect.

I used a lineup suggested by Derrick Gould in one of his chats. I had to insert Gyorko in the 7-spot to account for Carpenter being the DH instead of playing third, and I moved Wong ahead of Molina. I think it will be interesting to see how this lineup performs. I like how it spreads the lefties and gives me a leadoff/two-hitter type at the bottom.

RF Fowler
CF Pham
LF Ozuna
1B Martinez
DH Carpenter
SS DeJong
3B Gyorko
2B Wong
C Molina

I kept Jordan Hicks at AAA as the closer. I would like to see him get a full season there instead of pitching out of the bullpen in the majors.

I am playing out every game as manager. In order to keep things interesting with the DH, I am using the warmup rule. I usually don't play this way, but it should keep me in the game and on my toes.
I will be interested to see how it goes. Flipping Ozuna/Martinez is intruiging. I have wanted to see them try that IRL as then you have the first three potentially doing a lot to put #4 up with the opportunity to make something happen. Martinez is simply amazing at making something happen.

One comment, I would flip Molina and Wong. Molina is very good at getting on base in the game, it seems, but Wong can be a power and speed player, so you get Molina on and Wong might really help you out there. Also, Wong is a lead off option the way he plays in OOTP, so batting him 9th in a DH league gives you that sort of 2nd time through the lineup. Molina just clogs the bases for those guys. Not gospel in any way, just some thoughts.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I want Wong ahead of Molina for precisely the reason you mention... speed. Wong can keep Molina from hitting into so many double plays by stealing or just getting a jump and preventing the relay throw. In addition, he can get to second on a steal and score on Molina’s single. I am not so worried about Molina being on base ahead of Fowler and Pham because they have extra-base power.

P.S. Can you imagine Molina batting ninth in real life? Matheny would never do that.

Last edited by Orcin; 04-26-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #52
rink23
Hall Of Famer

OK Cardinals fans, my next issue -- 2018 ace Carlos Martinez.
At 7-6, he leads my team in victories, but we all know victories don't matter.
His 4.93 ERA is the worst on the team and if you look at the chart of his last nine starts he's given up four runs ormore in six of them
His latest outing, against the Cubs, was the worst lasting just 4.1 innings, ending in a fifth inning which featured a flurry of hit batters and wild pitches.
Looking at his chemistry, outside of performance which he obviously isn't happy with, nothing sticks out as an issue.
So any hints on how to fix him?
I don't think you can send him to Memphis. Let him skip a start to see if he can get his head together?
Attached Images
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #53
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Skipping a start probably wouldn't hurt. I have seen my AI managers bench players at various times, and sometimes they come back strong. I think that is worth a try. Otherwise, I would just keeping pitching him and hope he comes out of it.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Martinez is just like RL, he will have a 10K, 8 IP, 3H 0R game and then next game give up 6 runs in 3 innings. I just keep rolling him out there.

We didn't make the playoffs for the 2nd straight season but we are looking good for 2020. Took me awhile to make up my mind, but I fired Matheny and hired a new manager. Too many players didn't like Matheny.

I'll post opening day roster once I get past spring training. I made a couple more trades, Dejong being one of them as I don't like his contract and he strikes out way too much, plus he's horrible at SS.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #55
ra24mpa
Minors (Triple A)

I assume everyone posting in this thread follows the Cardinals IRL to some extent, so I'll ask here instead of creating a new thread: How would you tweak Tommy Pham's personality ratings in order to make them more realistic? I ask because his profile page states, "Been called humdrum," yet everything that's been written about him this season would prove otherwise. Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.
ra24mpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #56
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Looking for some opinions from fellow, I would are Cardinals GMs.
On June 20, my team is 47-25 and leads the Cubs by 3.5 games.
Going into the season, I was considering making some kind of blockbuster trade near the All-Star break.
With July approaching, I have turned my attention to Baltimore's Manny Machado. He's having an MVP caliber season, but the Orioles are already 12 games out of first place.
The deal I was looking at is
Machado, who can play both SS and 3B for
* Carson Kelly -- Blocked by Molina as a starter for at least one more year -- may start the year after that when Molina will become a headache -- and I have Andrew Knitzner and Jeremy Martinez in the system.
* Harrison Bader -- Probably MLB ready but I have O'Neil, Arozorena, Garcia and others in the system. Plus my starting OF is probably the best in the NL.
* Sam Tuivailala -- A three-star reliever, but he's out of options. He's on an injury rehab and my bullpen is the best in the NL without him
* Paul DeJong -- Had a great rookie season but is batting .223 this year without the power. Not great defensively at SS.
This is the deal I am eyeing, other players on the table include Kolten Wong, John Gant and other minor leaguers with high upside.
The reason I am considering trading DeJong is based on the performance of SS/2B Tommy Edman.
Edman was called up from Memphis when DeJong and Greg Garcia were both injured and I needed a middle infielder.
I put him in the lineup to see what he could do, and for the past 70 games all he's done is bat. .350 avg./.407 obp./.517 slg/.925 ops. with 2 homers and 22 RBIs. He's been batting second between Fowler and Ozuna. He's a top-tier bunter with 12 sacrifice hits.
Edman also is a better defender than DeJong.
Am I putting too much stock in Edman on a short-sample size.
I don't expect him to hit .350, but .280-.300 with good defense would be nice.
He's rated by Viva El Birdos as an Major League caliber player, but nothing more than an Aaron Miles type.
Also, what are my chances of re-signing Machado? Are sign and trades allowed/possible in OOTP?
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #57
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

In my leagues last year, Edman developed into a starter and a captain. I don’t know if you can expect that this year, but I think your stated expectations are pretty reasonable. You know he can field and the personality will be the same or better. The only chance you are taking is on the hit tool and .280 doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.

As far as the Machado deal, you cannot negotiate with the player before you acquire him, i.e. sign and trade. I would not give up that much unless I knew I could sign him. I might do it if he were even controllable for a couple of years like Ozuna was, but I would rather roll the dice that I can get him on the free agent market and use those assets to bolster something else. Having said all that, the only piece that really bothers me there is Kelly and you do have other catchers.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #58
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra24mpa View Post
I assume everyone posting in this thread follows the Cardinals IRL to some extent, so I'll ask here instead of creating a new thread: How would you tweak Tommy Pham's personality ratings in order to make them more realistic? I ask because his profile page states, "Been called humdrum," yet everything that's been written about him this season would prove otherwise. Thanks, and I'll hang up and listen.
I am not looking at the editor right now but if I had to characterize him it would be outspoken. Adaptability should be low. Work ethic should be high. Loyalty should be below average. Dealing with success and failure both good. I think he is pretty intelligent. I would rate him about average or a little higher in leadership.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #59
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
I want Wong ahead of Molina for precisely the reason you mention... speed. Wong can keep Molina from hitting into so many double plays by stealing or just getting a jump and preventing the relay throw. In addition, he can get to second on a steal and score on Molina’s single. I am not so worried about Molina being on base ahead of Fowler and Pham because they have extra-base power.

P.S. Can you imagine Molina batting ninth in real life? Matheny would never do that.
That’s because he would have double switched him out in the fourth inning.

Good point on Molina/Wong. Molina is also a real plus for hit and run if you play p-x-p, it would seem. He’s going to connect and Wong has speed.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #60
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
I am not looking at the editor right now but if I had to characterize him it would be outspoken. Adaptability should be low. Work ethic should be high. Loyalty should be below average. Dealing with success and failure both good. I think he is pretty intelligent. I would rate him about average or a little higher in leadership.
I would agree, outspoken would seem to be his type. OOTP is interesting in personality. I noticed last year that Matt Holliday was that, I believe, which I never felt was the case. I did play with his ratings a bit to get more in line with real life, but to be honest, that’s the only time I remember ever doing it so am likely of little help.

From what I know, those ratings sounds about accurate.