Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
OOTP Is it too late?

With the new major league baseball rules they came into effect today specifically speaking about the number of visits to the mound Are those too late to be implemented into the game at this point?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
texasmame
All Star Starter

Ugh. More crappy rules. Nice job, MLB:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ock/351466002/

I. Mound Visits

(1) Number.

a. 2018 Championship Season. Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six (6) per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each Club shall be entitled to one additional non-pitching change mound visit per inning.

b. OBR 5.10(l). Official Baseball Rule 5.10(l), which governs mound visits by a manager or coach, remains in effect (i.e., a pitcher must be removed on the second visit by a manager/coach in an inning).

(2) Definition of Mound Visit. A manager or coach trip to the mound to meet with the pitcher shall constitute a visit. A player leaving his position to confer with the pitcher, including a pitcher leaving the mound to confer with another player, shall also constitute a mound visit, regardless of where the visit occurs or the length of the visit. . .

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I'm a fan of this. You really need more than 6 mound visits in a game? If there's one thing to be cut, it should be this
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

It's not going to be in the initial release. We don't model catcher visits to the mound at this point, which is basically half the purpose of the change to cut down on.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

These rules are going to save what, 6 minutes in a 200-minute game? That's not enough for a casual fan to notice.
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Once the players see how this works it may not last. kind of like the rule where the batters were not allowed to step out of the box unless they fouled a pitch off.

The pitchers will kind of be on their own now. Catchers are going to have to save mound visits for later in the game in case they need them. Don't want to use all 6 mound visits to early and run out.

Of course I would not be surprised if pitchers and catchers come up with a signal to pretend there was a cross-up in the signs, so the catcher can get the umpire's permission to go to the mound.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
I'm a fan of this. You really need more than 6 mound visits in a game? If there's one thing to be cut, it should be this
It's should cut down on the pitcher and catcher always meeting so they don't need to use signs when there's a runner on second base to avoid sign stealing which really is annoying, some teams do this all the time.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
texasmame
All Star Starter

Since we're on crappy rules, MLB - if you're going to keep the silly rule that skips the throwing of the 4 balls for an intentional pass, can we at least get a signal from the home plate ump that it's been done. Maybe he could stand on the plate with 4 fingers held up?

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus007 View Post
These rules are going to save what, 6 minutes in a 200-minute game? That's not enough for a casual fan to notice.
If Manfred and the rest of what passes for the brain trust at MLB really wanted to reduce the length of games by an appreciable amount they'd more severely limit the time allotted between innings. Of course, they'd never do that because that would cut significantly into advertising revenue. Instead, they'd rather bastardize the game itself with a plethora of idiotic, half-baked rule changes that you'd swear were first drunkenly conceived in crayon on the back of a lipstick stained cocktail napkin in the darkened corner of some sleazy bar somewhere....all while they claim (without irony, I might add) to honor the traditions of the game.

I was willing to give Manfred the benefit of the doubt his first year as commish, but he has proven himself to be even more inept and vacuous than his perpetually bad-hair-day predecessor, which is really saying something. Bud Selig may have been Pharaoh of fools, but Rob Manfred is the Mahatma of morons. Fredo Corleone would make a better commissioner. The only thing inherently wrong with MLB as a product is its piss-poor leadership.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-19-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Thank God we won't see Joe Girardi manage against Buck Showalter. They had a contest too see who could make the most pitching changes and when the rosters were expanded the games would never end.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

The catcher visiting the mound is also a tactic to waste time to get the relief pitcher closer to being ready while warming up. Honestly this is actually one thing I wish the game did half the option for the catcher to go up to the pitcher to buy some time for my relief pitcher warming up in the bullpen

Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Actually, a few versions back I used to edit catchers visiting the mound into the pbp, along with more brush backs. Both cosmetic, but added nicely to the tension when put in just the right spots. Don't do that anymore as the pbp file is much larger and I lack the patience anymore, possibly due to aging.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus007 View Post
Time-wise, you are probably right. However, I believe the casual fan does in fact notice when they are engaged in watching a tight game, it's late innings, runners on, key situation, anticipation building, etc., as the pitcher stares in for the sign... and then that seems to drag on for an eternity, only to be interrupted when the catcher calls time-out. Irritating, especially when it happens multiple times during an at-bat... (When I think of this scenario, in particular I picture Posada of the Yankees in the playoffs...)
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
DB930
Major Leagues

So no more watching Gary Sanchez walk out to the mound every 3 or 4 pitches...
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #15
Irrelevant Dude
Minors (Triple A)

I think this rule is unnecessary, but won't have much impact on the game. It is certainly more tolerable than a pitch clock.

As for implementing the new rule in OOTP, does it really matter?
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #16
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrelevant Dude View Post
I think this rule is unnecessary, but won't have much impact on the game. It is certainly more tolerable than a pitch clock.

As for implementing the new rule in OOTP, does it really matter?
It will if we were allowed to have our catcher visit the pitching mound to be able to kill some time as your guys warming up in the bullpen

Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #17
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Unlike with the automatic intentional walk, there is nothing to model here.

A "visit mound" button does exist in-game, but I seriously doubt any human player would hit it seven times in a nine-inning game.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

SBNation watched one game from 1984 and one very similar game from 2014. The 2014 game was more than half-an-hour longer. It's a great read: https://www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-...ew/game-length

The analysis found that time between pitches was the single biggest culprit.
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #19
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

A "visit mound" button does exist in-game, but I seriously doubt any human player would hit it seven times in a nine-inning game.
I'm a mound visitin' fool. Walk two in the first inning? That's a mound visit.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

I thought that buttom was for the coach not the catcher