Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

View Poll Results: Should we have a photos sub-forum?
Yes 11 78.57%
No 2 14.29%
Other (please explain in a post) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Photo sub forum

Both Cap and I have tried to start threads for photo eras but they have bombed. Matt just PM'd me about it, so let's discuss this.

I am not yet certain if we will be allowed to do this, but:

How would everyone feel about creating a photo sub forum?

It would be here within the mods forum and would have threads for each fighter era and for judges, et cetera. Users would not be able to add threads, they could be added by a mod - we could simply vote whether or not to add a new thread category if a need arises.

To begin with, it would contain the following threads (by way of example):

Fighters: 2000s
Fighters: 1990s
Fighters: 1980s
Fighters: 1970s
Fighters: 1960s
Fighters: 1950s
Fighters: 1940s
Fighters: 1930s
Fighters: 1920s
Fighters: 1910s
Fighters: 1900s
Fighters: pre 1900
Judges
Referees
Cornermen
Ring Card Girls
Venues
Generic photos

This would require a team of volunteers to systematically move photos and I am not going to be one of those volunteers.

If we could do it, the photos would be much more easily accessible and the fact that only a mod could add a thread upon request would keep that one area from becoming a tangled mess.

I know it would be a break from the wild-wild west posting mentality that we have all grown accustomed to but what does everyone think?

Christopher

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 09-27-2006 at 08:53 PM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Photos add a great deal to the fun of TBCB. Guys are always coming up with great photos. The value of this is mitigated somewhat by the fact that, you don't always know when a photo you want is posted.

Organizing this folder into a forum with folders is a great idea. Whether you are running a universe and want a dump of all of the photos available for fighters of a specific era, or you are just looking for a specific fighter from a specific area, right now there is literally no way to go about finding him.

So I vote a big time yes, and count me among the ones, if not THE one, to go about sorting them.

Matt
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

If this is wanted and if it is allowed by the powers above, we could proceed as follows:

1) Create the sub forum with fixed threads

2) The team, headed by bigMatt (or just bigMatt ) could let me know which thread or threads they want to work on.

3) the threads that they want to work on however they see fit could be locked (to draw a line) and temporarily stickied.

4) When they (or he) says they/he are/is done, the thread could be un-stickied but stay locked. It would be locked to avoid undoing what they have done as the photos in from that thread would be organized in the sub-forum.

Any thoughts?

And Matt will need help. This would be a huge undertaking and would require a few dedicated people that could work together through PMs.

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 09-27-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Persoanlly I think this would be a great idea, and would be a good idea for outside "the basement" as well. (Hint Hint Mods)

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
a87star
Hall Of Famer

I am in agreeance with having a separate photo sub forum and would be willing to help out Matt since I enjoy looking for photos of fighters.
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
SAL
Hall Of Famer

I would be willing to help.
SAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

Same here.

Hunting for photo's and reading backup articles on the fighters probably gives me as much pleasure as the game itself.
Tosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Andreas has informed me that we can do this.

Once he sets up the sub-forum for us, I will establish the threads.

I would suggest that we hold off moving photos immediately so we can get some feedback on what the fixed threads should be. The ones I set up will just be for example.

When most are happy, Matt can organize the team of beavers (bald and otherwise) and have at it.

Thank you to everyone that wants to help, this will be a big project and Matt will certainly need your assistance.

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 09-28-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #9
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ANDREAS FOR SETTING THIS UP SO QUICKLY FOR US!

The sub forum has been established above. Currently, we cannot post in it as all the threads are locked.

Please discuss the threads that you would all like to have fixed within that sub forum.

We can add, delete or merge threads. When it appears that we have consensus on what threads we would like to have, they will be un-locked and Matt can start organizing his team to move photos. The rest of us will also be able to add new photos up there at that time.

Initially, I thought of just moving the era threads that Cap, others or myself had previously started. However, those thread groupings were not started and organized based on what our group wants. So, let's start with a clean slate and get what the majority of us want to see there.

Christopher
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Oh, I should add that thread titles or naming conventions can be changed as well. Nothing is sacrosanct up there at the moment.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

To add a little flesh to the example, I moved the photos from the first page of my Oceania thread to the new sub forum.

Please offer feedback everyone.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Don't want to be a roadblock here, Chris, but is there someway we can sub-divide the era threads(?) into weight classes? I only have heavyweights in my universe so I'd have to wade through a sea of flies, bantams, feathers, etc. in each era to find anyone.

Cap
Old 09-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap
Don't want to be a roadblock here, Chris, but is there someway we can sub-divide the era threads(?) into weight classes? I only have heavyweights in my universe so I'd have to wade through a sea of flies, bantams, feathers, etc. in each era to find anyone.

Cap
We absolutely could create a separate thread for each division and era (can't make 'sub-threads). The only trouble that I see with that is that we would then have at a minimum, 96 threads rather than 12 for fighter photos and likely upward of 150 with modern division proliferation. That would get complicated and lead to people not wanting to bother sorting through all the threads to find the right one to drop the photo in. Then we are back where we started.

I'll do whatever the majority wishes, so throw all your thoughts out folks.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Another option would be to have the photos aligned by weight class rather than decade of debut.

The two problems that I see with that would be:

1) Many, many fighters would fall into more than one weight class.

2) Cap's problem of 'wading' is still with us; only now he would have to wade through HWs from eras that he does not care about.

To me, the most pragmatic set up is to organize by decade of debut. Fighters by definition can only fall into one bucket then.

When you think about it, we have perhaps 9,000 to 10,000 photos sprinkled around the board right now. Most are in one gigantic thread.

If we divide them by decade of debut:

1) There would only one thread where the fighter should be because he/she can only debut in one decade.

2) There would be 800 to 1,000 photos in each thread (give or take) and the search function should work much better for us within the thread at that point.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Any more comments on this? Pro/con, thread content, et cetera?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #16
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

The photos Sub Forum is open for business.

I would encourage everyone to post new photos there moving forward.

Matt will organize the effort to move what we have up to the new location. I am going to move the photos from the Asian and Oceania thread but will not do anything else until Matt and the other volunteers decide how they want to proceed.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 AM   #17
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably get started on this project over the weekend. I will PM those of you who have volunteered to help. Anyone else who wants to assist is very welcome - just PM me and we'll go from there. Thanks.

Matt
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #18
Romultiltus
Hall Of Famer

This is sure to be a massive project, and I'm willing to help out a bit since I've uploaded quite a lot of photos here.

I only have a few concerns. I mostly have posted in the "Missing Fighters" thread and have included the Boxrec#, division, nationality & career dates. Any additonal pics I have found of fighters currently already in the threads or in my pics database I have put in a secondary thread "Alternate Pics." I did this so that everyone would know that these were not truly "missing" fighthers. Also, I felt that it was unnecessay to repost the above mentioned data. Curious how the board wants to procede with multiple pics of the same fighter?

Also, I started what I thought was a fun little thread called "Faces Only A Mother Could Love." Here I put various pics of bloodied and bruised fighters. Does the board want these pics rolled into the sub-folders as well?
Romultiltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romultiltus
This is sure to be a massive project, and I'm willing to help out a bit since I've uploaded quite a lot of photos here.

I only have a few concerns. I mostly have posted in the "Missing Fighters" thread and have included the Boxrec#, division, nationality & career dates. Any additonal pics I have found of fighters currently already in the threads or in my pics database I have put in a secondary thread "Alternate Pics." I did this so that everyone would know that these were not truly "missing" fighthers. Also, I felt that it was unnecessay to repost the above mentioned data. Curious how the board wants to procede with multiple pics of the same fighter?

Also, I started what I thought was a fun little thread called "Faces Only A Mother Could Love." Here I put various pics of bloodied and bruised fighters. Does the board want these pics rolled into the sub-folders as well?
I love the bloodied pics and can just move that whole thread up there. The alternate pics we can decide on as a group. I would think that just posting them in the regular threads up there would work well because the idea is that we can use the search function within the desired decade thread easily now. All posts for a given fighter should pop right up.

I appreciate greatly all the photos that you find Dave, any thoughts that you have would be valued. I started era threads a while back but gave up on posting in them mainly because it was a pain in the neck to find the right thread. With the sub-forum, they are always right on the first and only page so that doesn't seem to be an obstacle. I hope that we/I have not created a situation that dissuades you from posting photos.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:49 AM   #20
Tosti
Hall Of Famer

I will volunteer to help out.

Let me know what is required.
Tosti is offline   Reply With Quote