Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #41
DamPenguin
All Star Reserve

I'm all for it. Consistency is vital. We can ask Orange but I'm pretty sure the rule book doesn't say a strike is to be determined by whoever the umpire is for that particular game. Human element and controversy are most definitely NOT what I want to hear about when a game is determined. Here is my example:

Game 7 of the World Series, Angels are down by one in the bottom of the 9th; Mike Trout is up to bat with 2 outs and the bases loaded; and Angel Hernandez calls him out on a third call strike that was obviously 6 inches off the plate.

Sorry but no thank you. I rather have the best team win and if Trout let a close pitch go by so-be-it. You want "Human Error" and "Controversy" go watch reality TV or a soap opera. I prefer sports to be won by the better team that day, not because of a bad call. In every sport that I watch the best umpires/referees are those who aren't remembered after the game.
DamPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #42
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

The Bellinger at-bat shows exactly why human umpires are flawed. The umpire is setup on the inside corner. He cannot see the outside corner, anything that is close over there he is guessing.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:13 AM   #43
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I luv me some umps.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 08-10-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #44
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

ninth inning of a 4-2 game with a man on and no outs

ring up a guy on a pitch a foot high and wide

this is like NFL referees having discretion to decide that a team getting 9 yards is close enough for a first down
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #45
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
ninth inning of a 4-2 game with a man on and no outs

ring up a guy on a pitch a foot high and wide

this is like NFL referees having discretion to decide that a team getting 9 yards is close enough for a first down
It was so high, the catcher couldn't even pull his glove down far enough to make it appear it hit the strike zone.

Edit: I've now found my favorite Twitter account.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 08-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #46
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Update (although I thought this was already announced):

MLB Reportedly to Use Computerized Strike Zone in Minor Leagues in 2020

I mentioned elsewhere that I had changed my mind about this topic and I now welcome the innovation. This:

"Umpires have come under heavy criticism of late, especially with game broadcasts superimposing strike zones on the screen so fans can see every time one misses a call."

I argued for retaining the human aspect but the trouble is, modern technology has already made that inadvisable. You cannot virtually frame the plate, replay the call on Jumbotron, and still make allowance for human judgment and error.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #47
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I am still against it. I just enjoy the human element and watching a good catfight between managers and umps is part of what makes baseball fun.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #48
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
I am still against it. I just enjoy the human element and watching a good catfight between managers and umps is part of what makes baseball fun.
That's what I was saying but now that we know for sure whether the ump was right or not, some of the joy of that is removed. Ump wrong: He is incompetent and baseball is cheated. Ump right: The other side are crybabies who are trying to cheat. I preferred not knowing for sure and enjoying the controversy objectively. Now I know the truth and I don't like the outcome as much, either way.

- Bru

Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #49
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

While I have always hated instant replay with a passion. The robo ump thing is a bit different because it is not a replay. It is using technology to take the human element out of the decision making process. Which is essentially the essence of why instant replay doesn't really do the job in my opinion. So I find myself way more accepting of the robo ump than I thought I would be. I wonder how it's implementation would change the way pitchers are developed? Would there be a shift from fireball throwing no control guys to people that can actually pitch and locate? Would MLB be able to stomach the fact that offense would probably suffer since soup can strike zones would become a thing of the past if the zone was actually called by what the rule book dictates? To me those are some interesting thoughts.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #50
Reed
All Star Starter

Frank Viola, former player and current coach in Atlantic League, believes it will hurt control pitchers. His reasoning, control pitchers start out painting the corners and they get the called strikes. As the game goes on they start throwing slightly off the corners and the umps will usually continue giving them the strike call.
Interesting.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #51
Reed
All Star Starter

Frank Viola, former player and current coach in Atlantic League, believes it will hurt control pitchers. His reasoning, control pitchers start out painting the corners and they get the called strikes. As the game goes on they start throwing slightly off the corners and the umps will usually continue giving them the strike call.
Interesting.
Sorry for double post. Computer froze up.

Last edited by Reed; 11-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #52
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Interesting.
Sorry for double post. Computer froze up.
That's interesting because through that perspective the pitcher is trying to manipulate the human ump. So when you take that away their game would suffer according to Viola. I guess I would say good for the batters. They shouldn't be penalized for umpire manipulation either.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #53
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

One commentary I read mentioned that since the technology tracks the entire 3D strike zone, you end up with pitches called strikes that have never been strikes before. Balls that just cross the plate at the back of the zone, or the top of the zone, were the biggest changes that were mentioned.

Don't know if I think that is good or bad, but I never like it when technology that is supposed to make things more accurate actually changes things.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #54
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
One commentary I read mentioned that since the technology tracks the entire 3D strike zone, you end up with pitches called strikes that have never been strikes before. Balls that just cross the plate at the back of the zone, or the top of the zone, were the biggest changes that were mentioned.

Don't know if I think that is good or bad, but I never like it when technology that is supposed to make things more accurate actually changes things.
I think I read that somewhere myself. It brings up a bigger question of the role the plate plays. If I read the rule correctly, the strike zone is relative to where the ball crosses the plate based on where the batter is standing. Can the technology account for that? Which if that is how the rule reads is a major question that needs to be answered before the technology gets implemented.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #55
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post

I mean, is this worse than when Robles got rung up on a ball nowhere close to the plate?

The one thing we hear time after time is that players just want consistency. You can adjust to a slightly higher than current strikezone.

I get the concern somewhat. Basketball out of bounds reviews especially are taken to an absurd level of precision.

Last edited by dkgo; 11-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #56
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I mean, is this worse than when Robles got rung up on a ball nowhere close to the plate?

The one thing we hear time after time is that players just want consistency. You can adjust to a slightly higher than current strikezone.

I get the concern somewhat. Basketball out of bounds reviews especially are taken to an absurd level of precision.
I agree with the first part of your comment. If it is consistent people can adjust. This isn't a review though is it? This is a replacement of the human element. In a review we allow for human interpretation by allowing another look. If this is something that could be challenged I'm 100% against it as I dislike instant replay with the strength of a thousand burning suns.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #57
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Did the machine change the strike zone, or have the umps been manipulating the strike zone all along? Like when people say Jesus was born on Dec 25th & then historical evidence reveals it was actually sometime in October. Jesus' b'day didn't change. People through time had just been repeating a lie.

The way I see it, you can either redefine in the rule book what a strike is to modern interpretations and then recalibrate the computer. Or you can allow the game to go back to the way the strike should have been in the 1st place.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #58
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

An interesting tidbit concerning this, according to that article, is that the MLBPA must ratify this before it can be implemented in the major leagues, presumably as part of a new CBA after 2021. I wonder which way they will lean? They may not necessarily be in favor of robo-umps, although I cannot think of a reason why they would not.

- Bru

Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #59
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Anything MLB wants that MLBPA has to agree to can be used as leverage. They will try to get the owners to concede something
Old 11-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #60
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Did the machine change the strike zone, or have the umps been manipulating the strike zone all along? Like when people say Jesus was born on Dec 25th & then historical evidence reveals it was actually sometime in October. Jesus' b'day didn't change. People through time had just been repeating a lie.

The way I see it, you can either redefine in the rule book what a strike is to modern interpretations and then recalibrate the computer. Or you can allow the game to go back to the way the strike should have been in the 1st place.
I don't know that I oppose it, per se, I am just wary. While I dislike replay in almost all sports, I don't mind technology in place (like Cyclops in tennis or goal line technology in soccer) to get "static" calls correct. Static is not the best word, but non-judgement yes or no calls if the technology can improve on the naked eye.

I am not a cricket fan, but I am an inveterate browser of Wikipedia. I found it interesting that the advent of slow-motion technology was able to demonstrate that it is almost impossible for a bowler to do a throw without some flex to the elbow, which was illegal, so they changed the rule that the elbow cannot flex to a degree noticeable to the naked eye.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote