Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #81
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Here's why.

I've spent some money on one of my teams (about $50). I decided that it was a waste of my money so I wouldn't spend any more. Since then, I've almost bought PP about 100 times and only my stubbornness has kept me from doing it. I know that most people are not nearly as stubborn about spending money as I am.

So for anyone who is in a FTP league and is starting to get that itch to spend money, the fact that it's FTP would be the only thing that prevents them from spending money. That is what they're not going to do.

It's just like stopping the roster changes in the playoffs. The playoffs are the perfect time to add that $50 card to push your team over the top to win a championship. Some have suggested that this not be allowed. But OOTP isn't going to stop people from spending money at the time they're most likely to spend money just because it seems unfair compared to real life baseball rules.
To me Markus and company should be able to make as much money as they can. I am having a ball playing in this mode. I spend money because I am blessed with a wife who says enjoy yourself because we are not here on this earth that long. But others who are not as fortunate as me can still play the game the same as me. They might not be in the Perfect league but the game is played the same in any league they happen to be in. Markus was smart enough and thoughtful enough to those who cannot afford to spend like me and others to be able to play also. I think that was a wonderful thing for him to do. He made it a game that everyone can enjoy. The spender and the non spender. I don’t think we give him enough credit for this. It took a lot of thinking and tinkering to make a equal playing field for all. And in 20 he is even adding a extra level. 😁
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #82
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Here's why.

I've spent some money on one of my teams (about $50). I decided that it was a waste of my money so I wouldn't spend any more. Since then, I've almost bought PP about 100 times and only my stubbornness has kept me from doing it. I know that most people are not nearly as stubborn about spending money as I am.

So for anyone who is in a FTP league and is starting to get that itch to spend money, the fact that it's FTP would be the only thing that prevents them from spending money.
I am not talking about a FTP league. I would pay to be in a league with a salary cap. People would also still be able to buy points in that league as well. You could spend $50 to put your team over the top in the playoffs if you wanted to you just couldn't exceed the point cap. So OOTP would be getting a fee for me to be in the league AND any money I spent on cards.
dman7666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #83
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman7666 View Post
I am not talking about a FTP league. I would pay to be in a league with a salary cap. People would also still be able to buy points in that league as well. You could spend $50 to put your team over the top in the playoffs if you wanted to you just couldn't exceed the point cap. So OOTP would be getting a fee for me to be in the league AND any money I spent on cards.
It's still restricting the spending of money which they aren't going to do.

Plus, tournaments in OOTP20 will probably address all of your concerns. They'll be able to have roster limits.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #84
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman7666 View Post
What about the auction house? Will you have access to it or would you have your own? What if players want to join after it starts? What if you have an odd number of teams? What if people want to leave... do they get a refund on their entrance fee?

You see that you are designing a whole different mode of play here? It's a new universe, not just one league.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #85
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
To me Markus and company should be able to make as much money as they can. I am having a ball playing in this mode. I spend money because I am blessed with a wife who says enjoy yourself because we are not here on this earth that long. But others who are not as fortunate as me can still play the game the same as me. They might not be in the Perfect league but the game is played the same in any league they happen to be in. Markus was smart enough and thoughtful enough to those who cannot afford to spend like me and others to be able to play also. I think that was a wonderful thing for him to do. He made it a game that everyone can enjoy. The spender and the non spender. I don’t think we give him enough credit for this. It took a lot of thinking and tinkering to make a equal playing field for all. And in 20 he is even adding a extra level. 😁
Well, I'm in a different spot in life. I can certainly afford to spend a lot of money on this game, but I'd rather retire earlier so I can spend more time playing. I'm in save a ****load of money mode so I can quit slaving away at my job.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #86
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I work just as hard on my pay team as I do on my 2 FTP teams. If you have a full 25 man roster of OVR 100 players and do not work your team, I promise there are several managers here on these forums with teams with much lower OVR's that will give you a spanking in the playoffs. Money is an advantage, nobody denies that. But it is not the end-all in Perfect League level that some people think it is. Money is a much bigger advantage coming up through the ranks to get to Perfect League where the great whales are often harpooned.
As an owner of three FTP teams, I am glad that I am competing against teams that spend money, especially if it allows the game to grow and be successful.

I am against salary caps, segmented universes into FTP and pay leagues, or any other changes that would prevent me from challenging my teams against the very best.

I can personally vouch that a FTP team can compete and win championships at least through the Diamond level, primarily through developing a strategic approach and executing it- platoon lineups, ballpark factors, pitching staff make-up, paying attention to defense at key positions, etc.

Why would I want to be forced to compete against a lower level of competition than I have currently have success with? Beating a money team with your well-managed FTP team is tremendously satisfying.

The argument that you cannot win without spending money comes up thread after thread, despite dozens of posts from FTP players sharing their own success stories. There is a difference between something being easy and something being possible.
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 PM   #87
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
It's still restricting the spending of money which they aren't going to do.

Plus, tournaments in OOTP20 will probably address all of your concerns. They'll be able to have roster limits.
Well, it may actually be increasing the amount that you spend not restricting it since the way that I would do it would be to require a weekly fee to stay in the league from season to season. Once players were invested in their team they would want to keep paying to keep their team. On top of that people would be constantly wanting to buy this card or that card to tweak their roster so they would still be spending money to get cards. So in the end, it could actually generate more revenue. Plus, it would be a whole different way to play and people could be paying a fee to be in a CAP league and competing in the uncapped league as well spending money to get cards and packs in that format as well.

I am excited about the tournaments and think they will be very fun. I am not so much "concerned" about the idea of a salary cap and all, so much as I would take it as another kind of challenge within the game and I think it would have potential to generate extra revenue for OOTP and grow the game as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #88
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post
As an owner of three FTP teams, I am glad that I am competing against teams that spend money, especially if it allows the game to grow and be successful.

I am against salary caps, segmented universes into FTP and pay leagues, or any other changes that would prevent me from challenging my teams against the very best.

I can personally vouch that a FTP team can compete and win championships at least through the Diamond level, primarily through developing a strategic approach and executing it- platoon lineups, ballpark factors, pitching staff make-up, paying attention to defense at key positions, etc.

Why would I want to be forced to compete against a lower level of competition than I have currently have success with? Beating a money team with your well-managed FTP team is tremendously satisfying.

The argument that you cannot win without spending money comes up thread after thread, despite dozens of posts from FTP players sharing their own success stories. There is a difference between something being easy and something being possible.
That's always the argument that comes up, but it's a strawman. Most people complain that they are at a large disadvantage when going up against people who spend a lot more money and that's just the truth that can't be debated. Some would like to have a level competition at some point to see what happens.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #89
dman7666
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
What about the auction house? Will you have access to it or would you have your own? What if players want to join after it starts? What if you have an odd number of teams? What if people want to leave... do they get a refund on their entrance fee?

You see that you are designing a whole different mode of play here? It's a new universe, not just one league.
Right, my dream would be to have Perfect League grow to the point where I could pay to compete in a universe with a cap and have the traditional uncapped league as well; different universes with different rules. Tournaments with restrictions on rosters will be a welcome addition to the Perfect League universe, no doubt, just for me I like the season format with a cap as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #90
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I'm in a different spot in life. I can certainly afford to spend a lot of money on this game, but I'd rather retire earlier so I can spend more time playing. I'm in save a ****load of money mode so I can quit slaving away at my job.
I can certainly understand that. I am where you want to get. (Just maybe not as old) I am very fortunate that money or time is not a problem for me. I have plenty of both and thank God and my wife for letting me enjoy it..😁
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #91
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post

Spoken like a true winner. 👍
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #92
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I just wish there was a way to promote without harming a team. In 2 recent consecutive seasons with minimal roster changes, I made 2115 points in Perfect and 11430 at Diamond. Though the sample sizes are obviously small, those totals have been fairly representative of the points I've earned via achievements in both levels on a consistent basis. Promoting to Perfect was the worst possible thing to happen to my team's ability to improve itself.

I can live with being non-competitive. I can live with the losses that pile up like sand dunes and snow drifts. However, few things are more demoralizing than seeing the path to improvement close in front of your eyes, all because your mediocre team got lucky one level down and somehow isn't lucky enough to get relegated back there... 4 seasons stuck in Perfect when my "lucky" team couldn't even consistently compete at Diamond hurt. A lot.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #93
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I just wish there was a way to promote without harming a team. In 2 recent consecutive seasons with minimal roster changes, I made 2115 points in Perfect and 11430 at Diamond. Though the sample sizes are obviously small, those totals have been fairly representative of the points I've earned via achievements in both levels on a consistent basis. Promoting to Perfect was the worst possible thing to happen to my team's ability to improve itself.

I can live with being non-competitive. I can live with the losses that pile up like sand dunes and snow drifts. However, few things are more demoralizing than seeing the path to improvement close in front of your eyes, all because your mediocre team got lucky one level down and somehow isn't lucky enough to get relegated back there... 4 seasons stuck in Perfect when my "lucky" team couldn't even consistently compete at Diamond hurt. A lot.
I think the new 6th Level (Iron) will reduce the difference between levels your seeing - at least that's the theory. Spreading the talent out across 6 levels instead of 5 mathematically suggests this.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #94
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post

Yeah, That does suck....
Old 03-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #95
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I think it was a mistake basing promotions on playoff results. There is just too much randomness in a short series, so you have wild card teams winning 85 games getting promoted to places they don't belong. Then being stuck in that awkward position where you know you can't compete, but also that tanking is not allowed. That's how players lose interest.

On the flip side, it also keeps whales down in lower leagues longer than they belong. Leading to a lot of complaints about whales in bronze/silver leagues.

I'd be in favor of basing the promotions/relegations on regular season record alone, or even something closer to true talent level - Pythagorean record.

Last edited by chazzycat; 03-07-2019 at 02:39 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #96
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
I think it was a mistake basing promotions on playoff results. There is just too much randomness in a short series, so you have wild card teams winning 85 games getting promoted to places they don't belong. Then being stuck in that awkward position where you know you can't compete, but also that tanking is not allowed. That's how players lose interest.

On the flip side, it also keeps whales down in lower leagues longer than they belong. Leading to a lot of complaints about whales in bronze/silver leagues.

I'd be in favor of basing the promotions/relegations on regular season record alone, or even something closer to true talent level - Pythagorean record.
I agree with you. Most of the time the team with the best record in the season (Which really is the best team) does not win the Championship. Or even get to that series.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #97
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post

A good balance would be to promote the two teams in the WS and the two teams with the best pythag or real record.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #98
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A good balance would be to promote the two teams in the WS and the two teams with the best pythag or real record.
Agree 100% as a team (233-91) who lost the first 2 seasons to Wild Card teams.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #99
mwadsit
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Agree 100% as a team (233-91) who lost the first 2 seasons to Wild Card teams.
Having at least 4 promotions and 4 relegations each season should help this quite a bit. Plus the addition of the extra league (iron) should mean all teams in a specific level are much closer.

It just seems after about 4-5 weeks in 20 there should very rarely be a point with multiple whale teams in the same lower league.
mwadsit is offline   Reply With Quote