Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 AM   #181
4maddux_cy's
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Are you creating a fictional world with historical players in it, or a historical world with historical players? I.e. do you intend to have fictional players in your baseball world? Automatically import historical player creation modifiers is actually for fictional players. It helps the game create fictional players that will perform like the era they played in.

Yes, you need to check both "Use Random Rookies From All Eras" and "Automatically import real historical rookies". When checking the random rookies you can set the timeline for your pool. Some use 1901-2017 because the pitchers of the 19th century are absolute beasts with unbelievable stamina. They don't make 'em like they used to I guess. I myself cannot bear to limit the pool and render someone ineligible for my game, so I select minimum year to maximum year or 1871-2017 despite the warnings from others. Sometimes it's a bit ridiculous, but I'd rather have them in there because I just can't choose who to leave out.
'

I am creating a fictional pro/rel world that has the real mlb teams as the top of the pyramid and other fictional leagues below. I am seeing the current rosters though on the mlb teams. Can I somehow mass delete them all so they will repopulate over time?
4maddux_cy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:35 AM   #182
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
'

I am creating a fictional pro/rel world that has the real mlb teams as the top of the pyramid and other fictional leagues below. I am seeing the current rosters though on the mlb teams. Can I somehow mass delete them all so they will repopulate over time?
That's way over my head. I'm just a historical random debut guy. But this should bump the thread for ya.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #183
Edster007
All Star Starter

After Sim-ing through 100 seasons (started in 1955 no expansion/1984 locked) batting average and ERA wise it looks good but what I would like to see is team batting/pitching stats for all time in the view you can see in season-every team listed with totals. Anybody know if there is a way to do that? I can't seem to find it. I purposely avoided looking at individual stats and players or else I would get too absorbed. I can go on baseball reference to look one thing up and before I know it 2 hours are gone.I just wanted to generate numbers so when I start for real I have some faith in my setup.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #184
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I think what you are looking for is on a tab on the stats page called something like Historical Simulation Accuracy.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #185
Edster007
All Star Starter

Has any one played with the stolen base settings? I am really comfortable with where I am and will be starting my league. Far too many attempts and too many stolen bases. I have 7 players with over 1,000 SB and 14 players between 800-999 SB. I'd like to tweak that a bit. Attempts are at 3.033 and Success % at 1.019.

My top 100 hit leaders was high compared to actual but overall league wide team batting averages are where they should be so I don't want to mess with it.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #186
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I have never messed with SB settings but would appreciate feedback on settings you find for your sim. Could you look up a season you want to emulate on baseball reference and determine settings from that year?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #187
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I actually do mess with SB settings, especially in the dead ball era, by making success rates more common (the game puts them at like 55% in this period) and accordingly making attempt rates less common. This isn't so much to control there being too many steals - the primary difference between then and now is that nowadays you have say a player or two on your team who steals a lot of bases whereas back then basically everyone in the lineup save the catcher and sometimes the first baseman and/or an OF or two stole like 10-20 apiece - as it is two other things:

1. There for some reason aren't enough runs scored during this time period. Markus and co. have done a pretty decent job of making the runs to earned run ratio look right on a season-to-season basis (I'm not sure if the game scores unearned runs correctly so I'll leave that to the people who play those games out more) but there's still an overall lack of runs scored. I *think* this is because players took extra bases on hits way more often than they do now but of course there's no real way to look at that when we don't have game logs available for those years. Upping steal success rate doesn't fix this but it does help lower the gap.

2. You also get this weird, perverse thing with a 55% steal success rate where your faster players actually have lower WAR than slower ones, all other things being equal. While this is first up not how the game was played - speed in those days led directly to more hits, more extra base hits, and even more homeruns (considering that a *lot* of HRs then were of the inside-the-park variety, plus with error rates so high back then there was a hidden thing where fast players could not only beat out hits but force errors on bobbled grounders that would still result in outs for slower guys) - it also gives you as a human player an extra advantage, as you know to stay away from high-speed guys. Probably a lot of those extra CSes came on hit and run plays anyway...

This won't necessarily make guys have not-1000 steal careers but it will at least make speedsters super valuable during this era as they ought to be.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #188
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I actually do mess with SB settings, especially in the dead ball era, by making success rates more common (the game puts them at like 55% in this period) and accordingly making attempt rates less common. This isn't so much to control there being too many steals - the primary difference between then and now is that nowadays you have say a player or two on your team who steals a lot of bases whereas back then basically everyone in the lineup save the catcher and sometimes the first baseman and/or an OF or two stole like 10-20 apiece - as it is two other things:

1. There for some reason aren't enough runs scored during this time period. Markus and co. have done a pretty decent job of making the runs to earned run ratio look right on a season-to-season basis (I'm not sure if the game scores unearned runs correctly so I'll leave that to the people who play those games out more) but there's still an overall lack of runs scored. I *think* this is because players took extra bases on hits way more often than they do now but of course there's no real way to look at that when we don't have game logs available for those years. Upping steal success rate doesn't fix this but it does help lower the gap.

2. You also get this weird, perverse thing with a 55% steal success rate where your faster players actually have lower WAR than slower ones, all other things being equal. While this is first up not how the game was played - speed in those days led directly to more hits, more extra base hits, and even more homeruns (considering that a *lot* of HRs then were of the inside-the-park variety, plus with error rates so high back then there was a hidden thing where fast players could not only beat out hits but force errors on bobbled grounders that would still result in outs for slower guys) - it also gives you as a human player an extra advantage, as you know to stay away from high-speed guys. Probably a lot of those extra CSes came on hit and run plays anyway...

This won't necessarily make guys have not-1000 steal careers but it will at least make speedsters super valuable during this era as they ought to be.
It seems to me as I pour through player stats of that sim there are monsters and mice that even out the league average in some categories. So when locking 1984, I am close on league averages but its due in part to a much larger disparity from top to bottom. I have never played random debut (heck I have only played OOTP for a week) so I dont know if this a normal way to get these league averages.