Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
el_habes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

2-Person Online Private League?

I've been playing single-player OOTP baseball for a few years, and I finally convinced my brother to buy OOTP. Since we live on opposite coasts of the US, we had the idea of setting up an online league for just the two of us, as a way to keep in touch and play more baseball. The idea is that we would each control our favorite (obviously different) teams, then AI would control the other 28. Basically take single player mode and expand it so that there is a 2nd player in the league (who happens to live 3000 miles away).

Is there a way to do that in online league function? If so, how does it work re: advancing each day. Can we still manage individual games?

I apologize if there is another thread with these answers - I had no luck searching through the forums.
el_habes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

I've not done it and have only played in an online league once. That said, I think if you set up an online league it will work with only two players. Online leagues have players drop out here and there and occasionally end up with fewer than 30 for a while and the game still functions.

Now, you should probably figure out before you start if you think you need any off-line agreements about trades or free agents or whatever. You might look at some online leagues' rules for ideas. Or, if you two can play together nicely, have at it

I don't think there's a way to manage individual games, though. I think the sims are always run on the league host computer. I recall playing EA NHL that way, we had a lot of fun.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

The short answer is yes.

You will need a server to upload to and download from. OR
You can use a program/service like Dropbox. I have not used these services. You will have to investigate. Basically you need a means to move your league file back and forth between your computers.

You can run 2 teams and have the AI run the others. I would recommend a slower sim schedule. The AI will make waiver claims and FA offers on a daily basis. If you sim longer you cannot. It really isn't a huge deal. I think FA and the offseason would be the most important time to slow down to almost daily sims. The AI can respond to player counter offers daily.

If you go the server route you will need to figure out FTP settings and server info to get the league files up.

If you go the file sharing route you will need to figure out what files (minimum all .dats) you want to send. It will effect your file size.

You can definitely do this, it will take a little front end research, unless you know this stuff, and you will have to compromise something in the game. Sim lengths, etc.

Simming games: OOTP does not support head to head. I would imagine you can manage a game in Real Time Mode, after the game is over, save the file and upload or send it. Then your brother can manage his game and finish the day. I am not 100% on this. You could quickly build a league, make it an online league in the options and see what it allows you to do.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

If you were willing to pay a fee, ping fmontoya regarding his online league services. I'm considering the same idea and the cost is very reasonable.

See link

AllSimBaseball

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

Would you post the successes, failures, and issues that you have with your two person league? I think that there are more people that would be interested in what you are attempting.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
el_habes
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
The short answer is yes.

You will need a server to upload to and download from. OR
You can use a program/service like Dropbox. I have not used these services. You will have to investigate. Basically you need a means to move your league file back and forth between your computers.

You can run 2 teams and have the AI run the others. I would recommend a slower sim schedule. The AI will make waiver claims and FA offers on a daily basis. If you sim longer you cannot. It really isn't a huge deal. I think FA and the offseason would be the most important time to slow down to almost daily sims. The AI can respond to player counter offers daily.

If you go the server route you will need to figure out FTP settings and server info to get the league files up.

If you go the file sharing route you will need to figure out what files (minimum all .dats) you want to send. It will effect your file size.

You can definitely do this, it will take a little front end research, unless you know this stuff, and you will have to compromise something in the game. Sim lengths, etc.

Simming games: OOTP does not support head to head. I would imagine you can manage a game in Real Time Mode, after the game is over, save the file and upload or send it. Then your brother can manage his game and finish the day. I am not 100% on this. You could quickly build a league, make it an online league in the options and see what it allows you to do.

Good luck,
Tom
So from what it sounds like, it really only works in GM mode (or rather, the mode in which we build our teams, set lineups and rotations and bullpen assignments, then let the computer manage the in-game decision-making)? And we need a way to be able to share the game files?

Will definitely update the thread once I get into actually trying to set this up. Will let you know how it works.
el_habes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So from what it sounds like, it really only works in GM mode
I am not sure of that. Do a quick start league, change it to an online league in the league setup and see what it allows you to do. You may be able to manage games against the AI, just not against each other.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
gbwitheyes
Minors (Triple A)

I did a quick search and found this.
gbwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote