Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 08-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #1921
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Signature at bottom of posting

Testing to see if I get my blog website link at the bottom of a posting as a signature.

Rocco
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 AM   #1922
Rspen46
Minors (Single A)

Blog

Nice blog, good idea to try to get things in one place, but who plays TBB 2013, I've done my best to try to like it, but can't, the interface is absolutely awful to look at, it looks and feels cluttered, the color, the background, I don't know, just everything looks bad.

It has a lot to like, but just as much if not more to hate, the fighter pics and how they look are terrible, it's difficult and clunky to manuever around the entire game.

I went back to TBB 2.5 after importing everything to 2013 and giving it a very long try, but right now, I could not recommend it to anyone, I love the 2.5 and how looks, how easy it is to get around inside the game, if they could have either just taken 2.5 and updated it, or now if you could add the 2 together and take the best of both games, you would have 1 excellent game. I'm sticking to 2.5 TBB.
Rspen46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #1923
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspen46 View Post
Nice blog, good idea to try to get things in one place, but who plays TBB 2013, I've done my best to try to like it, but can't, the interface is absolutely awful to look at, it looks and feels cluttered, the color, the background, I don't know, just everything looks bad.

It has a lot to like, but just as much if not more to hate, the fighter pics and how they look are terrible, it's difficult and clunky to manuever around the entire game.

I went back to TBB 2.5 after importing everything to 2013 and giving it a very long try, but right now, I could not recommend it to anyone, I love the 2.5 and how looks, how easy it is to get around inside the game, if they could have either just taken 2.5 and updated it, or now if you could add the 2 together and take the best of both games, you would have 1 excellent game. I'm sticking to 2.5 TBB.
I still play 2.5 also. Some though still deal with 2013. I reference to the 2013 on the site because it's the "official" presence of the game to direct someone to to get an intro to it at least.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #1924
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

Been doing more reading lately more than anything.

I happened upon a couple articles in the New York Times, June 29th and 30th 1945, giving an account of Rocky Graziano / Freddie Cochrane fight. Cochrane was the reigning welterweight champion who'd enlisted in the Navy on August 7th after winning the welterweight title in June 1941. it was a non title fight, Cochrane's first since returning from 3 years service in the navy. The fight in which Graziano won by KO, 16 seconds into the 10th round was named 1945 Fight of the Year by the Ring.

Anyway in the same fight card that June 29th at Madison Square Garden was a 4 round heavyweight bout between an Sal Barardino and one Charley Lomski. Didn't see either in my DB so, here you go a couple new fighters, I think.

Sal Berardino - HW - USA
Career Record: W7(KO 6) / L2(KO 1) / D0

Unknown information has been left blank.
DOB has been estimated.

Fought Charley Lomski in 4 round undercard of the Madison Square Garden matchup of Rocky Graziano vs then welterweight champion Freddie (Red) Cochrane in a non title bout fight. In the June 30th, 1945 New York Times account of the Graziano/Cochrane fight, a brief review of the Berardino/Lomski matchup doted Berardino knocking out Lomski at 2:49 of the 3rd round.

All of Berardino's fights recorded in BoxRec were listed in 1945 except for his last record fight, a 2nd round KO to Bill Wilson in January 1951. Looked through Ring Magazines around the months this fight might have been reported but found no record of it.

Charley Lomski - HW - USA
Career Record: W3(KO 1) / L10(KO 9) / D0

DOB has been estimated.

Fought Sal Berardino in 4 round undercard of the Madison Square Garden matchup of Rocky Graziano vs then welterweight champion Freddie (Red) Cochrane in a non title bout fight. In the June 30th, 1945 New York Times account of the Graziano/Cochrane fight, a brief review of the Berardino/Lomski matchup doted Berardino knocking out Lomski at 2:49 of the 3rd round.

After winning a 6 round points decision over Jimmy Crawford in August 1945 to bring his record to 3-3, Boxrec shows him then loosing his last 7 fights by knockout in each.

By the way, I've not done much of anything with the Blog. As said, been just doing more reading and researching about 1940's boxing and been working on collectiong 1946 and 47 Ring magazines to help my history reading!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Berardino_Sal_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Lomski_Charley_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 09-28-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #1925
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

The August 23, 1945 edition of the New York Times ran account of the bout between Jimmy Bivins and Archie Moore in Cleveland, Ohio. BoxRec notes this fight taking place at Lakefront Stadium which would be the old Municipal Stadium, the "Mistake on the Lake". The Times article doesn't specifically state it being at Lakefront, but it mentions that "A cround of 9,254 braved threatening weather to see the slugfest" which would indicate it being staged outside and so would most probably it then being at Municipal Stadium.

Boxrec records..."time: 0:38 Moore was knocked down three times in the 2nd round. He was counted out on the 3rd trip down, but was hit with an uppercut while he was on the floor. The judges decided to give Moore a five minute rest and awarded him the round on a foul. Moore was dropped twice more in the 5th, and once more in the 6th for the count." This account appears to be a recount of the Times article. Did sound like a great slugfest to have seen in person.

Fighting in one of the undercard fights was the matchup between Danny Kapilow and Bobby Giles. Had both of these in my data base so decided to look at them. The Kapilow file is from the TBCB3 DB team. The Giles file was provided by Bob Bask back in 2014. I've only updated some bio info in both and so wanted to go ahead and post those updates here if you'd like. Included also is photo of Kapilow off of boxrec. I'd not had that before.

Bobby Giles - MW - USA
Career Record: W21(KO 15) / L27(KO 15) / D3

DOB has been estimated.

Rating from Bob Bask posted in 2014. Have not changed anything with the rating, only updated some Bio info...Rocco

Giles fought up and down in weights from low 150s to Low 170's and fighting welterweight to Light Heavyweight opponents, mostly though in and against middleweight. He fought welterweight Danny Kapilow on August 22nd 1945 as part of a card at old Muncipal Lakefront Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio in which the main event was a bout between heavyweight Jimmy Bivins and light heavy Archie Moore.

Danny Kapilow - WW - USA
areer Record: W48(KO 16) / L12(KO 1) / D7

The included website does not want to access. Poblem with the address as it is entered?

Kapilow's career down turned after mid-1946 as he finished 2-7-1.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Giles_Bobby_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Kapilow_Danny_WW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #1926
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

On September 4, 1945, Tami Mauriello faced off against a heavyweight from Elizabeth City and Jersey City, Johnny White. The New York Times June 5th account of the fight notes that Mauriello is considered at the time one of the top contenders for Joe Louis' heavyweight title. Louis of course has been inactive the past 3 year in the Army. Mauriello manages to register his fourth straight knockout doing so against White.

In the 3rd round Mauriello finally breaks through against White, putting him down for counts of two and four. Then in the 4th round at the 53 second mark, Tami puts White back down on the canvas and that is it for the scheduled 10 round bout.

I went ahead and did a rating for Johnny White. I could not find anything on the internet about him. Maybe some later looking into Ring would have something but most likely not.

Johnny White - HW - USA
Career Record: W11(KO 5) / L23(KO 7) / D2

Some of the more recognizable name opponents of White are an 8 round decision loss to Steve Dudas. A 1st round KO to Elmer Ray, 3 round KO to Yancey Henry, 4th round KO to Tami Mauriello and 10 round UD loss to Pat Comiskey all came in succession in 1945 and early 1946. Later in 1946 first beat a 12-0 Harry Bernsten but then lost on points to Freddie Schott, Lee Savold, Bill Weinberg, Jimmy Carollo and Bill Polland.

His only bout in March 1947 was a NC with Lee Q. Murray when the referee stopped the bout when White went down from a seemingly light blow per account in BoxRec. After that White fought very infrequently, but suprisingly with a decent 3-2 record to finish his career winning against Johnny DeNero, Jimmy Hooper adn Lee Q. Muarry to finish his career. In between those wins he lost decisions to Vern Mitchell adn Ted Calaman.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 White_Johnny_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #1927
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

Another bit of info about Johnny White that you can add to his bio if you wish. I happened about in the New York Times after looking at the Mauriello and White matchup and working on White, an article on a fight between Freddie Schott and a Freddie Fiducia. Schott I've heard/read of before but not Fiducia but found him in my data base. A heavyweight done originally by Mark Elwood. So I started looking at this fight and Fiducia as BoxRec noted with it that Fiducia was suspended along with his manager for 60 days after the Schott fight.

I found some other articles later the same week in the Times about this suspension and the reasons why. I'll cover Fiducia more next as I've started looking at his career to break down into MW, LHW and HW versions as he did fight in the lower divisions first earlier in his career including even down into very light divisions. While looking through the Fiducia articles in a couple of the articles talking about Fiducia's suspension some other fighters were investigated by the NYSAC for shall we say less than satisfactory fights as deemed by the commission in thier most recent bouts. One of those fighters was Johnny White!

The Sept 13, 1945 NYTimes ran an article after White's bout with Mauriello, in which White was called before the NYSAC along with Freddie Fiducia, Johnny Jones and Al (Bummy) Davis as the they were being investigated for having "unsatisfactorily" performed in each's respective recent fights. On Sept 15th then, it was announced in the Times along with Fiducia being suspended, Johnny White was suspended indefinitely. As it turned out, that indefinite period only lasted about 3-1/2 months as White was back in the ring in late January the next year against Comiskey.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #1928
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

TB 2.5 Link added to the Blog site

I added a link to the site menu to take you to purchase a license for TB2.5

It's still out there to be had.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #1929
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Tb 2.0.27

Which brings me to ask this question out there to you all Title Bout players.

I tried loading my exe file that I still had for this version of the game. Partly surprised it loaded up ok and the Demo starts up. Course with the Demo you'r limited what you can do and good for only 10 days. I tried to do a license purchase for it but it apparently is not supported by the e license site any longer.

Anyone know of any way to work around this? Know of some other source or site with OOTP maybe to attain a new license? I know your probably wondering why I'd want to mess with this if I have 2.5, but that's just it I like to mess with stuff! I kept the 2.0 for the longest time on an older PC and after it gave out and had been using 2.5 and 2013, I did the stupid thing and didn't bother to uninstall the license I had for it.

Rocco
Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #1930
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

Freddie Fiducia - FW, MW, LHW, HW - USA
Career Record: W63(KO 31) / L22(KO 5) / D2

Original file for heavyweight rating in my data base is credited to the TBCB3 DB Team. I did find back in my old files an original rating for Fiducia by Mark Elwood...Rocco

A New York Times death notice for Fiducia noted he died on May 10, 1966 from a heart attack and that his age was 52. Said he as stricken in his car while stopped at a trafic light. He died in Newark. The article says Fiducia lost 21 of his 225 prizefights having fought in every division from flyweight through heavyweight. It mentions he fought Willy La Morte as a flyweight but BoxRec listing for Willie La Morte does not show this fight. He worked as a dispatcher for the Continental Can Company of Paterson.

A NYTimes account of his 2/2243 fight with Pat Valentino says Fiducia of Nutley, N.J.

Fiducia's career as noted by BoxRec started back in May 1929 looks as a Featherweight. BoxRec shows him with 6 fights in 1929 at Featherweight with a record: W6(KO 3) / L0(KO 0) / D0. I looked up the Al Mason fight in June in the New York Times and cofirmed the fight and fight weight.

Then there are no fights till Feb 1932 and fights at Middleweight in 5 fights: W3(KO 2) / L1(KO 0) / D1.

Then in June 1932 against Lew Ferry he weights up to Light Heavyweight and appears to fight in that division through his 3/1/34 fight against Jackie Murray compiling a record of: W6(KO 2) / L4(KO 0) / D0.

From there on out his fights From there out Fiducia battles regularily it looks like as a Heavyweight starting with his 3/27/34 bout against Don "Red" Barry through til September 10, 1945 when he looses by 9th round KO to Freddie Schott.

A 9/11/45 New York Times account of the fight notes that youthful heavyweight Freddie Schott scored a knockout over the veteran Freddie Fiducia at 0:51 of the 9th round. All toll through the fight, Fiducia was put down 6 times by Schott, the final a left hook to the jaw that ended the fight. After the fight, the NYSAC announced that the fight purses would be held up and the fighters were ordered to appear before the board on that Friday.

A NYTimes article the next day on 9/12/45 detailed how Freddie Fiducia's manager Willie Gilzenberg had revealed to the NYSAC as early as the Friday before the fight that a gambler had offered Fiducia $20,000 to throw the fight with Schott. It noted that the commission waited until referee Benny Leonard had completed the 10 count in the 9th round and only then did the commission announce an investigation into the fight and that the purses of both fighters would be held until then. Chief Deputy Commissioner James Bruno actually stepped over to the Fiducia corner at the end of the 4th roundto warn Gilzenberg that Fiducia's purse would be held unless he fought harder believing Fiducia not putting up a legit good fight. On 9/15/45, the NYTimes reported that Fiducia and his manager, Gilzenberg were suspended by the NYSAC for 60 days for "their laxity in reporting a purported bribe". Schott and his manager, Bill Daly were absolved of any connection with the bribe.

After the suspension, Fiducia then did not box for four years until a comeback was staged in October 1949 and fought 6 more times till Sept 1950 compiling a W(KO 2) / L2(KO 1) / D0 Record in that span. Only found a brief mention in the March 1950 Ring, "Freddie Fiducca (note the spelling), veteran Newark slugger, looked good in his latest comeback attempt." Had brief account of Fiducia's Dec 1949 bout defeating Abel Gonsalves on points.

I've taken Fiducia and rated him accordingly.....

Featherweight from 1929-05 W6(KO 3) / L0(KO 0) / D0
Middleweight from 1932-02 W3(KO 2) / L1(KO 0) / D1
Light Heavyweight from 1932-06 W6(KO 2) / L4(KO 0) / D0
Heavyweight from 1934-03 W48(KO 24) / L17(KO 5) / D1
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Fiducia_Freddie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (6.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #1931
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

I was looking around some on the BoxingForum24 website and came on this discussion about Lem Franklin. Heavyweight from the late 1930s through to 1944 when he tragically died from injuries suffered in his last career bout. A real good heavyweight with a punch some opinions place on par with Joe Louis at the time.I did some looking around the Times and found a good number of articles about Lem.

I did a bit a play testing of the TBCB3 DB Team rating I have and results were pretty good so I did nothing with the rating itself. I did some updating of this fighter record and bio to post here and hope you enjoy the updated file.

Lem Franklin - HW - USA
Career Record: W32(KO 28) / L13(KO 8) / D1

New York Times article on August 4, 1944 about the death of Franklin from injuries suffered in his bout with Larry Lane on July 24th, placed Franklin born in Mobile, Alabama, won an international amateur crown and fought his way to the heavyweight finals in the Chicago Golden Gloves and National A.A.U.before turning pro in 1937. Article noted that the medical examiner reported Franklin had suffered multiple concussion hemorrhages from a blow or blows to the middle of his forehead.

Some different accounts of Frankling fights in the NYTimes notes Franklin fighting out of Cleveland, Ohio so his record is changed with his hometown to Cleveland.

The N.B.A. quarterly boxing rankings posted in the NYTimes on Jan 2, 1942 showed that Lem Frnaklin was ranked the no. 2 heavyweight contender to Joe Louis' crown behind Billy Conn and head of no. 3 ranked Buddy Baer. The Ring Magazine Feb 1942 Annual Rankings also had Franklin ranked 2nd behind Conn but had Bob Pastor ranked 3rd. Buddy Baer was ranked 7th. Interesting despite these rankings, Baer was due to meet Louis for the heavyweight title on January 9th. Franklin apparently attained this ranking with 19 consecutive wins and an NC called in a bout early in the streak.

From that pinacle of his career, it spiraled down and out of the next 2 years as he lost 8 of his last 10 bouts finishing with that faithful bout against Lane.

On February 24, 1942 Franklin met Bob Pastor in Cleveland in a big production billed as possible winner being the next opponent for heavyweight champ Joe Louis. Pastor entered the ring a 13-5 underdog, registered the first full count knockout suffered by Franklin as Franklin was counted out at 2:08 in the 8th round. After about a 32 second battering that sent Franklin to the ropes, a savage right hook to the bounce bounced Franklin off the ropes and he nose dived to the canvas.

Franklin's next bout on March 30th in PIttsburg was against Harry Bobo, a Pittsburgh fighter with a dynamite right according to the NY Times piece on the fight. In turned into a shocking quick defeat for Lem. After putting Bobo down for a quick 3 count earlier in the first, Bobo bounced back and his dynamite punches sent Franklin down for a 7 count, then a 9 count on a second trip to the canvas.

June 24th, 1942 NYTimes pieces accounts Franklin's next fight, against Joe Muscato and it ends in another 1st round loss, this TKO as referee Joe Sedley stops it a 2:58 af Muscato had "slapped" Franklin around with a flurry of rights and left.

Noteable wins by Franklin included against Freddie Fiducia,Charley Belanger Abe Simon, Curtis Sheppard, Tony Musto, Jimmy Bivens, Carl Vinciquerra, Eddie Blunt, Willie Reddish, Abe Simon, Lee Savold, and Paul Williams.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Franklin_Lem_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #1932
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

While actually looking around the New York Times archives for articles on Mike Jacobs I ran across some about the Tony Zale / Georgie Abrams middleweight title fight in 1941. Reading some on that, I started looking around for more about Georgie Abrams. Turned out and interesting search finding out some of the back ground on how that title fight came about!

Here's some of the info I dug up which I've put in Abrams bio included in the file I've attached. A couple of minor things updated in his fighter file also but did not look at the TBCB3 DB Team rating I have.Many of you true boxing historians may know about a lot of this, but it was all new interesting finds for me to learn a little bit about the middleweight division back then. I'm going to do a little more digging around about Billy Soose whom you'll read about below.

Georgie Abrams - MW - USA
Career Record: W48(KO 9) / L10(KO 3) / D3

In June 1931, then Middleweight Champion, Mickey Walker dropped his claim on the title to move up and fight heavyweights. To fill the Middleweight crown, the New York Boxing Commission and the National Boxing Association each staged elimination tournaments. Gorilla Jones came out the winner of the NBA tournament and Ben Jeby won the New York crown. So for the next 10 years there was a 1930s-1940s version of the modern day aphabet titles of today for the Middleweight crown.

In July 1940, Tony Zale knocked out Al Hostak to take the NBA title and on May 9th, 1941, Billy Soose defeated Ken Overlin to fill the NYSAC version of the Middleweight crown.

On July 30th, 1941, Georgie Abrams defeated Billy Soose in a 10 round UD, that was an "overweight" bout thus not being for Soose's NYSAC Middleweight title. Each fighter was in fact over the weight limit for the division. Even though Abrams was given the decision, the NYTimes account of the fight notes that decision did not meet with the general approval of the ringside observers. This was Abrams third victory over Soose.

An August 1, 1941 NYTimes piece notes that Promoter Bill Rand had signed Tony Zale, the NBA champion to fight a 10 round "overweight" bout on August 21st with Billy Soose. This bout did not come about. Soose later drew a technical draw against Ceferino Garcia on Sept 15th, when the bout was halted midway through the 8th round due to an eye injury. This bout took place about the time that Georgie Abrams and Tony Zale were to meet for a non title bout match.

A Sept 13, 1941 NYTimes article noted that a scheduld 10 round non title bout at Madison Square Garden between Abrams and Tony Zale had to be cancelled due to a painful skin ailment that Zale was suffering from. Promoter Mike Jacobs announced he would reschedule the bout on November 28th. Then on November 1, it was announced in the NYTimes that Billy Soose formally gave up his NYSAC middleweight championship due to him not being able to get down to the middleweight class 160 pounds. Soose informed the board that he would campaign as a light heavyweight in the future and wanted to be considered as a challenger for Gus Lesnevich's crown.So the Zale / Abrams fight that was cancelled in September 1941 and rescheduled for November 28th suddenly became a unifying title bout for the World Middleweight Championship!

The NYSAC accepted Soose's resignation and announced then that the NYSAC would recognise the winner of a 15 round bout to be held on November 28, 1941 between Georgie Abrams and NBA middleweight champion Tony Zale which was won by Zale in a 15 round unanimous decision scored by referee Billy Cavanagh and judges George Le Cron and Charley Draycott despite being knocked down in the 1st round for a 9 count. Abrams went into the bout favored to win at odds 5 to 7.

Abrams record in BoxRec shows him fighting and defeating Steve Mamakos in May 1942 and then not fighting again till 1946. During 1941 in various Times artlicles note that Abrams was already serving in the Navy apparently going to active service during the war. Did not find any record of where he may have served. A Times article about him getting ready for his first fight with Steve Belloise in August 1946 says Abrams since coming back to boxing after his military service had fought 3 times, winning two and drawing with Jimmy Mandell.

The Times article did not mention who the two wins were against. The August 1946 Ring Magazine though accounts the first fight BoxRec lists against Johnny Lawer mentioning it was Abrams "first appearance in four years, having been in the service." The September 1946 Ring Magazine accounts for Abrams fighting in Richmond, VA, and winning a unanimous decision over a Tommy Lawler of Cleveland with Abrams weighing in at 161 and his opponenet one pound heavier. This the fight BoxRec shows on June 13, 1946 listing Johnny Lawer a second time and with fighters weights reversed. The 1948 Ring Record Book has both Abrams and Johnny Lawer listed in it's records of fighters and it shows Lawer fighting Abrams in Richmond on that June 13, 1946 day. So the Ring magazine account incorrect at the time.

One last bit of interest of note concerns then Abrams last career fight listed against Aton Raadik on April 21, 1948. April 21st and 22nd NY Times accounts of this fight note that Abrams was to have fought Ray Robinson in this bout. The April 20th article notes that the fight between Abrams and Robinson due on the 21st was cancelled late in day on the 20th when Robinson came down with influenza. An article then the next day on the 21st accounts that the fight happened between Abrams and a last minute replacement for Robinson, Anton Raadik. Abrams was knocked to the canvas first time in the 9th and then in the 10th was floored twice before referee Davey Miller ended the bout. Intersesting that the article mentions Abrams as ranked with the nation's top-flight middleweights. Doesn't say anything about Raadik. A quick look in the April, May and June Ring Magazine and they have Raadik listed in their top rankings of Middleweights in those months and Abrams is not listed! The July 12, 1948 NBA Quarterly Rankings lists Raadik under their Honorable Mentions Middleweights. Again no Abrams!
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Abrams_Georgie_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (6.9 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 10-06-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #1933
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

40s LHWs HWs

Jimmy Ruzzo - LHW - USA

Career Record: W22(KO 20) / L5(KO 5) / D0

Unknown Information has been left blank.

DOB has been estimated.

From an article on Rhode Island prospects in the Jan 1945 Ring, mentions that Jim was a great athlete in high school playing basketball and baseball. This was a miracle in itself as Jimmy almost lost his left leg in a car accident when he was two years old. Operation on his leg removed some bones that ended up making his left leg shorter than his right and thus he was rejected for the military come World War 2.

Ruzzo was originally a left hander but was converted to right handed by manager Larry McManus.This same article places Ruzzo's first pro fight, never having fought as an amateur, as February 15, 1944. BoxRec places it as March 6, 1944 against Johnny Mello.

An account of Ruzzo's fight with Jerry Berthiaume, in the Dec 19, 1944 The Times Dispatch (Richmond, VA), says Berthiaume's victory ended Ruzzo's winning streak at 17 straight fights. BoxRec accounts for 15 fights and 15 wins before the Berthiaume bout.

Looking for more info on Ruzzo through Newspapers.com and Ring, found no articles to shed light on the two year break between 1945 and 1947 and then over 7 years from 1947 to December 1954 when he fought twice to end his c areer.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Ruzzo_Jimmy_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #1934
bear
Global Moderator

Nice seeing you back

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #1935
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Nice seeing you back
Thanks for the welcome bear! Good to hear from you and Cap!

Just been busy indulging in other pasttimes with board baseball and basket ball. Been spending time on and off though just spending time researching on line for information on different fighters, both for my own pleasure but been helping out Gary Brown here and there with his LOB game helping him find information on different fighters he's been rating for his game over the past months.

I have subscriptions to the NYTimes and to Newspapers. com and boy a wealth of information looking up old newspaper articles on fighters. I really like maybe more than working on rating fighters, looking up to see what I can find out their personnel and career backgrounds. A lot that can be found in these articles.

Anyway got done with some things for now for Gary so decided to take some time back here and looking at some guys for the 1940s. Interested to see how boxing transititioned itself back from WW2. I'm actually looking up info on a guy that you rated some time back, Bear, Dixie Lee Oliver. So hope to post an update for him sometime soon for everyone. Maybe not so much a new rating but just some good Bio into on him.

Hopefully others here will injoy that kind of info.

Which I guess I'd mention that if anyone has some fighters that maybe the've rated but without a lot of information available on the web about them. let me know,, I'd be willing to take some look at some of them. See what could be dug up. I screen capture and then paste them into Word to make like a newspaper document for each.

Hope everyone here has been safe and well through the past months of crazyness we've been through.
Rocco
Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #1936
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see you're still alive and kicking, Rocco. I often look up background info on old time fighters when I come across somebody interesting. Every once in a while you come across a boxer who was doing well and then suddenly went on a losing streak or quit the game all together and it makes you wonder what happened. I often get sidetracked looking up stuff when I started out just looking at a fighter's record.

Cap
Old 12-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #1937
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Del Sesto View Post
Thanks for the welcome bear! Good to hear from you and Cap!

Just been busy indulging in other pasttimes with board baseball and basket ball. Been spending time on and off though just spending time researching on line for information on different fighters, both for my own pleasure but been helping out Gary Brown here and there with his LOB game helping him find information on different fighters he's been rating for his game over the past months.

I have subscriptions to the NYTimes and to Newspapers. com and boy a wealth of information looking up old newspaper articles on fighters. I really like maybe more than working on rating fighters, looking up to see what I can find out their personnel and career backgrounds. A lot that can be found in these articles.

Anyway got done with some things for now for Gary so decided to take some time back here and looking at some guys for the 1940s. Interested to see how boxing transititioned itself back from WW2. I'm actually looking up info on a guy that you rated some time back, Bear, Dixie Lee Oliver. So hope to post an update for him sometime soon for everyone. Maybe not so much a new rating but just some good Bio into on him.

Hopefully others here will injoy that kind of info.

Which I guess I'd mention that if anyone has some fighters that maybe the've rated but without a lot of information available on the web about them. let me know,, I'd be willing to take some look at some of them. See what could be dug up. I screen capture and then paste them into Word to make like a newspaper document for each.

Hope everyone here has been safe and well through the past months of crazyness we've been through.
Rocco
My current to do list involves rating every unrated fighter from the 1949 Ring Record Book. I've reached letter -C-.

Bought my 1st RRB back in 1981 and began trying to create fighters for my Title Bout Board Game. That RRB listed Ring top 10 fighters by year and weight class. I created an index card for each one and began cross referencing through fighter records looking for fights that these men had. Box rec is ever so much nicer. Began, initially, collecting record sources and that expanded into anything I can read and learn from.

Tend to get side tracked as well. This leads to expanding my to do list

Old 12-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #1938
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Reminds me of the time I first visited the Ring Magazine offices in New York. I was gobsmacked at the shelves filled with old Ring Magazines, posters, boxing history books, and Ring Record Books. I left with two shopping bags of stuff. Also met Herb Goldman, Bert Sugar, Randy Gordon and their really hot receptionist. What a day that was. Pretty sure it was late seventies.

Cap
Old 12-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #1939
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Reminds me of the time I first visited the Ring Magazine offices in New York. I was gobsmacked at the shelves filled with old Ring Magazines, posters, boxing history books, and Ring Record Books. I left with two shopping bags of stuff. Also met Herb Goldman, Bert Sugar, Randy Gordon and their really hot receptionist. What a day that was. Pretty sure it was late seventies.

Cap
Used to love the "Solid Goldman:" column in the Ring. Thought I made my bones as a boxing historian years ago when I was able to answer a question Herb had posed regarding referees for early Joe Louis bouts in Chicago. They weren't reported in the Chicago Tribune, but we had 3 other dailies back then and I had to go to our main library branch and check old micro film.

Used to enjoy reading old sports sections from the 20's and 30's on microfilm. The coverage given to boxing was amazing. Golden gloves and amateur fights got covered. I even once found some baseball reports that coraborated a yarn by dad had fold me about the old time pitcher for the Cardinals, Flint Rehm. Rehm was awol from his ballclub and found drunk. He claimed to have been kidnapped by desperate men who forced him to drink a lot of whiskey.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #1940
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Nice to see you're still alive and kicking, Rocco. I often look up background info on old time fighters when I come across somebody interesting. Every once in a while you come across a boxer who was doing well and then suddenly went on a losing streak or quit the game all together and it makes you wonder what happened. I often get sidetracked looking up stuff when I started out just looking at a fighter's record.

Cap
Thanks Cap! Yes doing well. Glad to see you also still here. Just doing different things occupying my time, but, still keep getting the urge to come back on line here and look at some boxers! This past year I'd subscribed to the NY Times and Newspapers.com and just fell in love looking through them and seeing what I can dig up about old fighters. To see If i can pick up anything about what kind of fighter they were for sure, but, I'm more interested in finding out about the person and just the history of thier career. Think it adds for intersting info to put into a fighters rating in TBCB or any boxing game for that matter.