Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-04-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

A super-utility designation would be nice

It'd be much appreciated if in a future iteration of OOTP we would be able to designate at least one player on a team as a super-utility player. Either by adding a super-utility position or making it an option in the player strategy page.

The thought being that if a player is designated as super utility and they are getting PAs and defensive inning in line with regulars, that the player's "Role on Team" stat in the editor will drop less or no longer drop at all; due to not being slotted in a starting position on the depth chart. At least this is my takeaway of how it currently works. If you want to get fancy with it, the effects of the designation could be a function of certain personality ratings and/or come with a defensive penalty across all positions.

It's just annoying to me that I have to either cheat and manually reset the stat or turn off the morale system entirely if I want to use guys as super utility players; otherwise they're always super salty.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
CSUState23
Bat Boy

Jeff McNeil is the closest thing I have found to one
CSUState23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I’m pretty positive that players don’t care where they’re slotted in the depth chart, just how much they actually play and in some cases what lineup slots they’re in when they play. If you set up a depth chart where one guy is essentially playing every day despite not being listed as a literal starter, his Role on Team won’t necessarily go down. I mean, the AI will still choose where he starts in the lineup so if he wants to be a lead off man and the AI bats him 7th, he won’t like it, but that’s not the same as what you’re talking about here.

Also, I don’t think players particularly care what position they’re playing as long as they’re getting into the lineup, at least in terms of Role on Team. If you put a 1B at SS, his Performance will suffer (and in that case Team Performance will also suffer, especially if you put an unrated player there), but he’ll be like “well, at least I still start every day”.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

that would be ideal for a player such as Martin Dihigo ...
indeed, that would be a very good designation to have in the game.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:16 AM   #5
Furious
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I’m pretty positive that players don’t care where they’re slotted in the depth chart, just how much they actually play
I have a guy who I've been playing at all three outfield positions as well as first base all season. Sometimes I have him as a "starter" at one position in the lineup, other times I've just had him on the depth chart, but starting every 2nd day at one position, every 3rd day at another, etc., so that he's always starting 7 or 8 out of every 10 games. When I put him in the lineup he's happy, when I only list him as a reserve he gets pissy. He plays the same amount either way, but you can't tell him that. From my experience it's pretty clear that it does matter whether he's listed as a starter or not.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
koohead
Hall Of Famer

a Super Util role designation would be helpful on the player strategy page. The use case would be if I want to develop someone that has avg ratings at multiple positions in the minors into a utility role. My hope/expectation is by setting the Force start/use at position to UTIL, the AI would start him at multiple positions. Today, the only way I can see to maintain his ability at all those different positions is to manually set lineups, something that i'm not too keen on doing for the minors.