Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
AKAthatoneguy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Viewing batter vs. pitcher stats in-game

Is there a way to view a batter's stats against a pitcher while in a game? It would be useful info when figuring out which pinch hitter to use or which pitcher to bring in against a certain hitter, but I don't see any way to find that info while in the game.

I know that before a game, you obviously see how every batter has done against the starter, and I've seen the info pop up randomly below the batter's face while playing the game, but I want to see this info when making substitutes.
AKAthatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Would rather see OOTP do away with the stat completely

There's zero evidence that previous performance vs a hitter/pitcher is at all predictive of future performance. So, hopefully, it's not in the game.

Maybe I'm too idealistic in thinking that OOTP can be a game AND a way for people to learn about their sport (and statistics)
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAthatoneguy View Post
Is there a way to view a batter's stats against a pitcher while in a game? It would be useful info when figuring out which pinch hitter to use or which pitcher to bring in against a certain hitter, but I don't see any way to find that info while in the game.
Its not useful at all. The game is ratings versus ratings not past performance versus past performance.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
To answer the OP the only way you can see that presently is to look on the player's card under batting> batting vs pitchers and then having to scroll to find it. A "vs current P" split on the lineup screen would be nice.

Well if one doesn't like the stat the easy option is to not look at it Why take out a stat that others want? One could argue to take out pitcher wins and rbi too,no?

Actually I believe the game is coded where some players do have a tendency to "own" certain Ps and vice versa. One can certainly argue it shouldn't be in the game and provide evidence and maybe it gets removed. Markus has always been good about looking at evidence and making changes to the game but, even if one was successful and got this "feature" removed there would be no reason to remove the stat. It adds some flavor that some like to see in their game even though, like many other stats in the game, may be useless in the context of future performance.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Well if one doesn't like the stat the easy option is to not look at it Why take out a stat that others want? One could argue to take out pitcher wins and rbi too,no?
Agreed! And to amplify, this is a game after all, isn't it? Not everything has to be edifying. Some things can just add flavor and be fun, no?

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Andy
Hall Of Famer

I know I'm in the minority, but I still play in Classic 2D and I have expanded batter and pitcher stats. It always displays the vs. pitcher stats in the expanded batter stats.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I still play in Classic 2D and I have expanded batter and pitcher stats. It always displays the vs. pitcher stats in the expanded batter stats.
I use the expanded boxes too, though in modern 3d and yes the batter v pitcher is in that box. I think though the OP is more concerned with being able to find this info on the substitution page to help in deciding PH or RP usage. I like the idea even if it were only for flavor.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Not a bad idea. I still wish we could see career batter vs pitcher stats instead of just the current season. I think Markus said saving this data would eat up a lot of memory?
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote