Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

new FHM player

Im new to the series, I am a huge baseball guy and I love hockey (in real life i worked for the plymouth whalers OHL team before they moved to Flint). I understand hockey but my knowledge of coaching and strategy are very basic.

i was wondering if you guys had any good resources or could offer any advice to a new FHM player and help a baseball sabermetrics guy out learning how to get the most out of a hockey team
cooperthegiantscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

Hey here's some i got bookmarked

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/info...-list/c-430807 contract info 50 max
https://www.icehockeysystems.com/ice-hockey-systems Hockey systems
http://www.nhlspecialteams.com/ explains special teams strategy
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...n_descriptions OOTP manual
http://www.nhlspecialteams.com/blog/...3-1-power-playGood article on 1-3-1 powerplay

Dunno if you like advanced stats but if so
https://www.rawcharge.com/2012/4/30/...-not-the-stats Explains advanced stats/how to read them
https://hockey-graphs.com/ Analytics
https://www.dispellingvoodoo.com/ Analytics
http://hockeyviz.com/ Visualizations
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

I would also recommend you

(A) Post any questions you have and ask them on the forum and;

(B) Watch some of the videos we've done on our YouTube page on www.youtube.com/user/OOTPDevelopments - or tune in (and ask questions live) on our Twitch (which we do Wednesday Nights at 10pm Eastern) www.twitch.tv/OOTPDevelopments
Adam B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

thanks guys, and i book marked the link for twitch, that way if im home i can watch those live shows
Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

So here is a question concerning roster management. I am running a Federal Hockey League team, the Port Huron Prowlers. I need at a minimum 14 prospects under the age of 26.

It looks like I am going to have to cut a few over age players or trade them away for younger because I only have 3-4 spots open on the club active roster and sending them down still gives me an error message.

How do more experienced players approach dealing with leagues utilizing age restrictions? According to the league "rules" page there is no maximum age but in order to have enough players under 26 you'll basically have a unofficial age limit to make use of the team's restrictions under the league rules.

Can anyone offer any advice on what they look for when deciding to keep older players vs younger players when there is a age limit present?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperthegiantscat View Post
So here is a question concerning roster management. I am running a Federal Hockey League team, the Port Huron Prowlers. I need at a minimum 14 prospects under the age of 26.

It looks like I am going to have to cut a few over age players or trade them away for younger because I only have 3-4 spots open on the club active roster and sending them down still gives me an error message.

How do more experienced players approach dealing with leagues utilizing age restrictions? According to the league "rules" page there is no maximum age but in order to have enough players under 26 you'll basically have a unofficial age limit to make use of the team's restrictions under the league rules.

Can anyone offer any advice on what they look for when deciding to keep older players vs younger players when there is a age limit present?
Honestly, it's really tough. Starting with one of the minor leagues is - since you sometimes lose control of your roster. I would recommend if you're going to do that make sure you're playing in Sandbox and not Path to Glory in case you get boxed into a situation.

Personally, what I look for when I'm coaching minor league teams is guys who fit the role. I look for my 3 or 4 veterans I want and build around that. Sometimes going younger is better.
Adam B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #7
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

I ended up cutting a few older players to make room for younger ones. At least now I'm able to sign younger guys and put them in the Low Minor affiliate in case some guys age from 25 to 26 mid season. I think the moves will serve well in the long run despite starting 4-6
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

im playing around with a spreadsheet trying to figure out thresholds and comparisons against league players. Is there a way to figure out exactly how many minutes have been played in a season for the whole league.

I mean you could add up all the games played multiple it by 60 and then divide it by 2 but that doesn't take in account over time play. So i am looking for a refined way of looking at league totals i guess you can say.

I am currently trying to add formulas for goalie GVT, forwards GVT, and defensive GVT into my spreadsheet but it appears I am having trouble either interpreting some of the information or finding it all together.

has anyone tried to work with GVT stats that can help me out in the context of FHM and where to find the information. If you are interested in helping me out I can provide the formulas.

This is not the only stat i am working with. I am also using GVS (Goals Versus Salary), Corsi, Fenwick, Hits60 Shotsblocked60, and a aswell as Takeaways and Giveaways per 60.

I am looking at these stats intensely because i am reading older copies of hockey prospectus and the book Stat Shot to help learn how to analyze hockey teams from a front office angle and its hard to eyeball test what you cant see happening. FHM is becoming my favorite game ever, more so than OOTP which i have been playing FOREVER and Football Manager series... with that being said Hockey in terms of team building and contracts is the sport i know least about and I want to make sure I am signing players that are productive and serve a purpose.

with that being said... what stats would you recommend adding to the sheet? so far i am using the following...

Goalies

Minutes
Shots Against
Goals Against
Goals Against Average
Shutouts
Saves
Save %
Goalie Goals Versus Threshold (GGTV)

Defense (this is where I am struggling the most to make sense of production or worth)
Time on Ice
Average Time on Ice
Goals
Assists
Hits
Hits Per 60
Shots Blocked
Shots Blocked Per 60

Forwards
----------------------------(Offensive Stats I am using for Play Makers, Snipers, Danglers, Etc.)

Time on Ice
Average Time on Ice
Goals
Assists
--------------------------(Defensive stats I am using for Grinders, Two-Way Forwards, and Enforcers)
Hits
Hits Per 60
Shots Blocked
Shots Blocked Per 60

I am pulling Fenwick and Corsi from the in-game menus since they are already calculated out. But I have a stats sheet on my workbook that is documenting how everyone did after each season for comparison.

Right now I am working a Boston save, i decided to abandon my FHL team save and try a NHL team per the advice from the official OOTP channel videos that way I can learn the intricate parts of managing a hockey team without age restrictions and extra regulations that are put in place to protect young players. I am also playing GM only to see what the computer does on its own that way I can get an idea what is going on.

Right now I am focusing on learning the stats and management of the team. My next plan is to do a GM + Coach save and get more into the player management and coaching stuff.

This game has so much to learn but like i said I am very quickly falling in love with it. I used to work for the OHL Plymouth Whalers team as an intern before they moved to Flint and I am remembering now why I love hockey so much!!!