Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Cole
Hall Of Famer

50 team, one subleague schedule request

Hi,

If someone could do this schedule for me that would be great. I'm told gmo is the go-to guy when it comes to this stuff .... Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the specs:
50 teams, 1 subleague, 10 divisions, 5 teams per division.

It's an international league with each division corresponding to a nation (Canada, United States, Cuba, Dominican, Japan, China, etc).

I would like a cool/realistic schedule that will make sense logistically (ie. Not have a team playing in America one day and then in Australia the next, for example).

Anyway, the schedule I was thinking of was as follows:

Play each of the four teams in your division 15 times. 4 x 15 = 60 games.
Play each team in your “rival” division 6 times (ie. Canada v.s US is one rivalry, Japan v.s. China, etc.) = 6 x 5 = 30.

Play one team from each of the 8 remaining divisions. 4 series at home, 4 series on the road.

3 x 4= 12 games
3 x 4 = 12 games

If my math is right that is 60+30+12+12 = 114 games.

I'm not too strict on that game limit though, if it makes it easier to have a few more or less games/series that is fine. I'm just looking for somewhere in the 108 - 120-ish range of games with a similar division of games as the one I have presented above.

I'm hoping that the schedule can start on March 1 and finish sometime early to mid-September, but again that is flexible depending on how it all ends up shaking out.

What I would like is if the first month to month and a half of the season was only the games against teams in division and the one division rival - with only the occasional off-day. (teams won't be travelling across the globe so they can endure a more rigorous schedule)

Then, if the sets of 12 games against teams on the other sides of the globe could be done in the next month/month and a half/two months/however long it would take .... And to make sure there are at least 2-3 days off between the series.

Or if it worked out better, maybe even have maybe one in division series during the week, then a travel to one of the other countries (or host one of the other countries) during the weekend.

After that, I'd like if the season ended again for that last month or so with just in-division/rival division games.

I'm not opposed to doubleheaders if they are required, but it's not necessary if that complicates things.

Anyway, I have no idea about schedule making, so I'm not sure at all how easy or how difficult this will be to implement.

Please let me know if someone can step up on this and if there is anymore information required ...

Thanks so much,
Cole
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

You have to post what countries are what divisions, so we'll know what divisions are "rivals."
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Anyway, I'll take this schedule.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

There is one hitch: Australian teams would have to play all road games in July and August as it is winter there.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
You have to post what countries are what divisions, so we'll know what divisions are "rivals."
Okay, the rivals are as follows:

Canada - United States
Mexico - Puerto Rico
Cuba - Dominican Republic
Japan - China
Australia-Venezuela. This one makes the least sense/are the only ones that are quite far away, maybe you can tie that into what you were saying about the weather (I never even thoght of that before to be honest). Perhaps in July and/or August Australia could simply play all road games in Venezuela or something, then later in the schedule host them for all their games. I'm not sure if that makes it extremely more complicated.

If that is too much it doesn't matter too much to add that extra wrinkle.

Also, if the 'rival division' thing presents too much of a problem, we can get rid of that too. I'm not too stubborn on it. My biggest thing is that I'd love for the schedule to 'make sense' and for their to be adequate 'travel days' added in for when teams are having to go across the continent.

I really appreciate you volunteering to do this.

Let me know if you need anymore info.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Also bwburke, if you have any ideas yourself given that layout of divisions/teams and my parameters, feel free to suggest them.

Like I said, I'm not too fussy, I just want a schedule that is mostly played against teams in your own division and one that has realistic travel when you do play against other divisions.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Anyway, I'll take this schedule.

Sorry, now I'm a bit confused because I see you requesting a schedule in another thread...

When you said you'd take this schedule did you mean you'd make it for me, or if/when someone makes it, you'd like it as well?

Thanks,
Cole
Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk View Post
Sorry, now I'm a bit confused because I see you requesting a schedule in another thread...

When you said you'd take this schedule did you mean you'd make it for me, or if/when someone makes it, you'd like it as well?

Thanks,
Cole
Bump..

GMO can you take this? Haven't heard anything from bwburke so I'm not sure what's going on with that.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if you really meant early March through mid-September, since that is over 6 months which is a lot of time for the number of games you are talking about. Here is how I would approach it.

Assuming no All-Star Break/Game.

First 9 weeks: two 3-game series per week featuring only intradivision and rival-division games.

Next 8 weeks: one 3-game series (Fri-Sun) against distant-division opponents. There will not be a pretty pattern to this travel, meaning a US team might go to China, come home to play Cuba the next week, then go to Australia the following week. But the beginning of the week will be open for travel.

If you wanted an All-Star Break, this is where I found assume it to go.

Next 6 weeks: two 3-game series per week featuring only intradivision and rival-division games.

That is only a little more than 5 months, so when you could pick to start in early April and end in mid-September.

For a little variety I would suggest moving to 16 games per division opponent (add 4 games) to make one of the intradivision series against each opponent 4 games in length.

Another possibility for expanding the schedule is making the distant-division series 4 games and leaving only 3 days each week during that time for travel.
gmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo View Post
Not sure if you really meant early March through mid-September, since that is over 6 months which is a lot of time for the number of games you are talking about. Here is how I would approach it.

Assuming no All-Star Break/Game.

First 9 weeks: two 3-game series per week featuring only intradivision and rival-division games.

Next 8 weeks: one 3-game series (Fri-Sun) against distant-division opponents. There will not be a pretty pattern to this travel, meaning a US team might go to China, come home to play Cuba the next week, then go to Australia the following week. But the beginning of the week will be open for travel.

If you wanted an All-Star Break, this is where I found assume it to go.

Next 6 weeks: two 3-game series per week featuring only intradivision and rival-division games.

That is only a little more than 5 months, so when you could pick to start in early April and end in mid-September.

For a little variety I would suggest moving to 16 games per division opponent (add 4 games) to make one of the intradivision series against each opponent 4 games in length.

Another possibility for expanding the schedule is making the distant-division series 4 games and leaving only 3 days each week during that time for travel.
The proposed schedule you've suggested sounds great.

I didn't really map out how long it would take, but just assumed with the extra time off it would take a while, the playoffs starting early to mid-September is the target. Whatever type of schedule start date nets that is fine (the playoffs is four rounds, so it will take a while).

Making one of the intra-division series 4 games/adding 4 games per division opponent sounds fine to me as you've suggested.

I wouldn't mind an all-star game/break, but how is that handled in a one subleague game, do you know?

Yeah, feel free to make the distant division series 4-games long.

That will add 8 more games, so if my math is right, the next schedule will be the originally proposed 114 games + 4 + 8 = 126?

Sounds fine if you think that will work well.
I greatly appreciate the help!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Yes, 126 total games that way.

I will plan on it starting about the last week of March so that it ends the middle of September.

I think this is correct... With one subleague there can be an All-Star Game as long as there is an even number of divisions. The first half of the divisions (1-5 of 10) make up one AS team, and the second half (6-10 of 10) make the other AS team. You may want to test to confirm that. I know my 1-subleague, 5-division league does not have an ASG even though it was set for one.

I positioned the ASG after the last distant-division series, but when would you want it? The previous series ends on Sunday, so when should an ASG be - the following Tuesday with the next series then beginning Thu/Fri (the same way it is in MLB)? Or would you want that entire week off, except the ASG, between the last distant-division series and the next division/rival series?

The layout is in place, so with luck (time) I could have this done in another day or so.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, 126 total games that way.

I will plan on it starting about the last week of March so that it ends the middle of September.

I think this is correct... With one subleague there can be an All-Star Game as long as there is an even number of divisions. The first half of the divisions (1-5 of 10) make up one AS team, and the second half (6-10 of 10) make the other AS team. You may want to test to confirm that. I know my 1-subleague, 5-division league does not have an ASG even though it was set for one.

I positioned the ASG after the last distant-division series, but when would you want it? The previous series ends on Sunday, so when should an ASG be - the following Tuesday with the next series then beginning Thu/Fri (the same way it is in MLB)? Or would you want that entire week off, except the ASG, between the last distant-division series and the next division/rival series?

The layout is in place, so with luck (time) I could have this done in another day or so.
You can just do it the same way as MLB, that's fine.

Question, and I'm hoping this will be rectified, but one thing I really hate about the OOTP generated schedules is that all the off-days are on the same day for all teams, so you always end up with number 1 pitchers throwing against number 1s, number 2's against 2's, etc etc... This won't be the case in this schedule will it?

Anyway, that's again for this. Greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Question, and I'm hoping this will be rectified, but one thing I really hate about the OOTP generated schedules is that all the off-days are on the same day for all teams, so you always end up with number 1 pitchers throwing against number 1s, number 2's against 2's, etc etc... This won't be the case in this schedule will it?
This is why I recommended adding another game against the division opponents. Rather than having everybody always playing 3-game series, there will thus be the occasional 4-game series. It is not a lot, but it will mean not everybody is always exactly the same number of games into the season. You will see some half games in the GB column.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is why I recommended adding another game against the division opponents. Rather than having everybody always playing 3-game series, there will thus be the occasional 4-game series. It is not a lot, but it will mean not everybody is always exactly the same number of games into the season. You will see some half games in the GB column.

Sounds good, thanks for having a keen eye for that sort of thing
Old 10-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
gmo
Hall Of Famer

#
# 50 team schedule, 126 games
# Designed for the following configuration:
# 1 subleagues with 10 divisions, each with 5 teams
#
#
# 16 games against 4 other teams in division (7-9H/7-9A)
# 6 games against 5 other teams in one "rival" division (3H/3A)
# 4 games against 1 team in each of 8 other divisions of league (4H or 4A)
#
#
# The rival divisions are by order:
# 1st vs 2nd
# 3rd vs 4th
# 5th vs 6th
# 7th vs 8th
# 9th vs 10th
#
# First 9 weeks of season are division and rival-division games
# Next 8 weeks of season feature series against other opponents
# with one series each week Thu-Sun with Mon-Wed offdays for all teams
# Last 6 weeks after All-Star Break are division & rival-division games
#
#
# No homestands or roadtrips longer than 18 games
# No team plays more than 20 straight days without an offday
#
# All game times set at 7:05pm
#
# Season begins first Monday on or after April 1st
# Season thus ends mid-September
# All-Star Game set for first Tuesday on or after July 30
#
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
Cole
Hall Of Famer

I just took a quick look last night but the schedule looks great.

Thanks so much gmo, I really appreciate your work and time.

Good karma points +100!

Just for my information, how do you make these schedules? Is there a program you use?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just for my information, how do you make these schedules? Is there a program you use?
I have developed a system (and experience) over the years. Generally it involves laying out the series in a spreadsheet, juggling them into a coherent schedule, then making little tweaks like flipping the home/away of series between teams. I have a handful of other little programs to run on the data at various points of the construction to test things like making sure the total and vs-opponent numbers of games are correct or to count of the numbers of consecutive days playing a game for teams. When everything looks good enough I run something to spit out the actual schedule file.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

gmo-

whatever you use to make these schedules you should sell it to ootp for version 10!!

ofcourse you would lose your hobby, but hopefully gain some $$.

Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote