Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
OttoGott
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Question Scouting and Training

Hello everyone -

I'm trying to wrap my head around the scouting and training game mechanics and I have few questions that the manual and quick search of the forum have not been able to answer for me.

1. Scouting: If a scout has a region assigned, I do not need to set an assignment duration, correct? They will simple scout this region in perpetuity or until I change the region?

2. Scouting: If a scout has a region assigned, and I assign a duration, the duration will just get reset to '-'? I am seeing this in the game and I am assuming that is due to the answer of question 1 above being yes. Just want to confirm.

3. Scouting: Can I set a scout to scout a region, etc. with no duration set? The shortest duration I see is 1 week, and the longest is 16 weeks. I had set those scouts with regions already assigned to 16 week durations and for these scouts, the duration was reset to '-'. For those scouts that DID NOT have a region already assigned the duration setting stuck, which I also set to 16 weeks. This is confusing to me.

3. Scouting: Assistant coaches can not be given scouting assignments, correct?

4. Training: On the training screen where I can tick the appropriate training focus areas, if I take the action 'AI Setup the Organization' will the AI only setup the training regimens or will it setup the training, line tactics, etc. So the question is, is this action specific to the screen I am currently on or is this action global?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I have missed the obvious.

Cheers.
OttoGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoGott View Post
1. Scouting: If a scout has a region assigned, I do not need to set an assignment duration, correct? They will simple scout this region in perpetuity or until I change the region?
No, if you set a duration of one week, the scout will return after this week and you have to give him a new assignment.

Quote:
2. Scouting: If a scout has a region assigned, and I assign a duration, the duration will just get reset to '-'? I am seeing this in the game and I am assuming that is due to the answer of question 1 above being yes. Just want to confirm.
No, I can't reproduce this problem. Can you please explain exactly how you get the duration reset to "-".

Quote:
3. Scouting: Can I set a scout to scout a region, etc. with no duration set? The shortest duration I see is 1 week, and the longest is 16 weeks. I had set those scouts with regions already assigned to 16 week durations and for these scouts, the duration was reset to '-'. For those scouts that DID NOT have a region already assigned the duration setting stuck, which I also set to 16 weeks. This is confusing to me.
No, you always have to set a duration.

Quote:
3. Scouting: Assistant coaches can not be given scouting assignments, correct?
Yes, only scouts can get scouting assignments.

Quote:
4. Training: On the training screen where I can tick the appropriate training focus areas, if I take the action 'AI Setup the Organization' will the AI only setup the training regimens or will it setup the training, line tactics, etc. So the question is, is this action specific to the screen I am currently on or is this action global?
The "AI Setup the Organization" is not in connection with the selected table set and it will not change the training assignments. If you want the AI to take care of training, you have to assign the assistant to "Setting Training" on the Manager Options screen.
Malte Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
OttoGott
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malte Schwarz View Post
No, if you set a duration of one week, the scout will return after this week and you have to give him a new assignment.

No, I can't reproduce this problem. Can you please explain exactly how you get the duration reset to "-".

No, you always have to set a duration.

Yes, only scouts can get scouting assignments.

The "AI Setup the Organization" is not in connection with the selected table set and it will not change the training assignments. If you want the AI to take care of training, you have to assign the assistant to "Setting Training" on the Manager Options screen.

Thanks for the quick reply Malte; I appreciate it.

In regard to the duration reset to "-", let me describe the sequence:

I started a new modern game as GM and HC. I went to the scouting page of the team and saw about 5 or so scouts with no region selected, but the other 16 had a region selected.

So I figured I would set those without a region a region and saw that I needed to set a duration for the assignment, and I chose 16 weeks and to send a report after 4 weeks. For those scouts already set to a region, I also set them to a 16 week duration and to report back in 4 weeks.

This was during the offseason; first year of the sim. I simmed a month; essentially over the month of August. I got reports back from the 16 scouts that ALREADY had regions selected in 4 weeks like I requested, but their durations were set back to '-' when I went back to the team scouting page. The 5 or so scouts who I set a region for did not send me reports back as I set (also, after 4 weeks). When looking at them in the team scouting page, their durations were at 14 weeks...so I assume it took them 2 weeks to get where they needed to be and that I will get reports back from them in 2 weeks.

I hope the above is clear. My apologies if I am doing something wrong.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
OttoGott
Minors (Rookie Ball)

* bump *

Not sure if this is an issue with a bug or my brain...just didn't want it to get lost in case it is a bug. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Does sound like a bug. We had a report of scouts not obeying the durations properly a little while ago, but what you're seeing appears to be slightly different than that one. We'll take a look.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Redeemed143
Minors (Single A)

[QUOTE=JeffR;3936798]Does sound like a bug. We had a report of scouts not obeying the durations properly a little while ago, but what you're seeing appears to be slightly different than that one. We'll take a look.[/QUOTE

was that every addressed or confirmed
Redeemed143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed143 View Post
was that every addressed or confirmed
Still on the bug list, there are a few things in front of it that need to be dealt with first before that's checked out.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
will.arnold
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Another scouting question

I just started a new game, and assigned all my scouts to 1 week assignments for specific top draft picks for next season. After 3 weeks of play (into early September), all scouts still show as working on the initial 1 week assignment, and no reports back yet. Is there something I missed in the assignment?
will.arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
tarashnat
Major Leagues

Scouts don't seem to start until the preseason games start, or thereabouts.
tarashnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarashnat View Post
Scouts don't seem to start until the preseason games start, or thereabouts.
Starts in September, runs through June. July and August have no scouting now, although thinking about it a little more, it might make sense to cut that down to just July.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
DarthYoda
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malte Schwarz View Post
I have put it to Assistant, but when entering Training there are no boxes ticked there? The Assistant does not seem to do it after all?
DarthYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
I have put it to Assistant, but when entering Training there are no boxes ticked there? The Assistant does not seem to do it after all?
It won't change them immediately, but will update at the beginning of the next month.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
bialanoc
Bat Boy

In my last season both I and the other GM in my league noticed that, after scouting very diligently throughout the season and generating A-level ratings for the top 300 or so players, a large number of players reverted to B-level ratings in roughly the final month of the season. We both made a short list of projected first and second round picks in order to do damage control, and that helped for a while. Unfortunately, at the conclusion of the playoffs the ratings for many of these players reverted to B-level yet again, but this time with only ten days to go between the conclusion of the playoffs and draft day.

Is this intended? If so, is there a recommended way to manage it so that we can go into the first and second rounds of the draft with confidence?
bialanoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
josephyw
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialanoc View Post
In my last season both I and the other GM in my league noticed that, after scouting very diligently throughout the season and generating A-level ratings for the top 300 or so players, a large number of players reverted to B-level ratings in roughly the final month of the season. We both made a short list of projected first and second round picks in order to do damage control, and that helped for a while. Unfortunately, at the conclusion of the playoffs the ratings for many of these players reverted to B-level yet again, but this time with only ten days to go between the conclusion of the playoffs and draft day.

Is this intended? If so, is there a recommended way to manage it so that we can go into the first and second rounds of the draft with confidence?
As the "other GM," just to add some additional information, what seemed to often happen is that our scouts would run out of people to scout and, instead of maintaining their assignment length in order to keep up on scouting and maintain those ratings, they would just suddenly have no assignment. We would re-assign them to their regions, and our reports would bolster back up to A ratings. Then, right before the draft, tons of ratings would revert, even if the scouts were still in that region.This also happened with us and the NHL rosters. Right after the playoffs and before free agency, all of the sudden a majority of free agents turned into a B despite the fact that we had numerous scouts in the NHL in order to maintain those ratings.

As an online league, we typically like to sim large chunks of the season. So it's really hard for us to micromanage scouting, especially for me as a non-commish GM. And because we're taking bottom-basement expansion franchises, scouting and free agency are critical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
josephyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialanoc View Post

No, that wasn't working as intended - Malte corrected it last week, it should be fixed in the next update.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Hi guys, I would like to piggyback on this thread a little....

When giving/assigning your scout a region, and a region shows up as green in the pulldown list, is this the preferred/best region for the scout to work in?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHippie View Post
Hi guys, I would like to piggyback on this thread a little....

When giving/assigning your scout a region, and a region shows up as green in the pulldown list, is this the preferred/best region for the scout to work in?

Thanks
To my knowledge, I think that means it's a region that is important to your league or team, like if you're in the OHL, the only regions you'd need to focus a lot on are Ontario and Eastern USA (or sometimes Midwest USA) because that's where you'll get the most talent. Same for scouting leagues below you.

Of course, someone else may correct me on this if I'm wrong, this is just an observation I've made in my playing experience.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #18
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post
To my knowledge, I think that means it's a region that is important to your league or team, like if you're in the OHL, the only regions you'd need to focus a lot on are Ontario and Eastern USA (or sometimes Midwest USA) because that's where you'll get the most talent. Same for scouting leagues below you.

Of course, someone else may correct me on this if I'm wrong, this is just an observation I've made in my playing experience.
Thanks. I find it funny the AI thinks the Danish league is important to my team. Another Lars Eller, haha?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
josephyw
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord PichuPal View Post

This is indeed wrong. The green text signifies that the option corresponds to your scout's region, which means they get a boost when scouting that league/area. That's all.
josephyw is offline   Reply With Quote