Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Robinson Cano in OOTP 14

Seriously underated, or maybe I'm not understanding how the devs rate....

His range and turn double play, should be around 90-95 and his infield Arm should be at least 80.... also his Contact and Gap power should also be in the 70-80 range...

Am I dreaming here?
X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post
Seriously underated, or maybe I'm not understanding how the devs rate....

His range and turn double play, should be around 90-95 and his infield Arm should be at least 80.... also his Contact and Gap power should also be in the 70-80 range...

Am I dreaming here?
Based on what and compared to who? How are his current numbers representing him in the game and why do you feel that they are incorrect?
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Based on what and compared to who? How are his current numbers representing him in the game and why do you feel that they are incorrect?
I'm basing the numbers on comparing him to Kinsler and Pedroia for example... none of those two players are better defensive 2nd base than Cano is, yet their ratings are much higher....

Sorry I'm comparing defensive ratings on a 0-100 scale.

Here's what I'm comparing.... Cano seems very underwhelming...

Last edited by X3NEIZE; 09-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Also If I edit the players, will the actual ratings increase?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

I agreed that Cano should be in the same area of defense rating, as these two ... even though I am a big Muddy Chicken's fan ... I am, also, a big fan of Cano ... he does have an edge on the hitting dept ... the defense is close, among these peers ... but I would bet my lunch on Pedi ...
Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Do you have scouting on, and what level of accuracy is it set to? If scouting is on, what you are seeing aren't the players' true ratings, they're your scout' s ratings. And the whole point of the scouting system is that the scouts aren't right 100% of the time.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Do you have scouting on, and what level of accuracy is it set to? If scouting is on, what you are seeing aren't the players' true ratings, they're your scout' s ratings. And the whole point of the scouting system is that the scouts aren't right 100% of the time.
Nah, that's apparently how we have them rated in the db. I dunno why, it's totally wrong. Someone screwed up the ratings. I'm going to change that right now.

Cano isn't underrated, he's fine. I definitely don't agree with the Op when he says this:

Quote:
His range and turn double play, should be around 90-95 and his infield Arm should be at least 80
That would make Cano a legendary SS, not to mention the greatest 2B to ever live, which he's certainly not.

He is absolutely right that there's a problem though, but it's not that Cano is underrated, rather the problem is that Kinsler and Pedroia are drastically overrated.

They have absurdly high ranges, equivalent to the range you'd see from an elite SS like Iglesias or Simmons.

It's fixed now. You'll see the changes next year.

btw, the hitting ratings for Cano are fine. The MLB players were rated according to PECOTA. So if they're off, and they aren't for Cano, then you can blame BP

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-28-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Fyre ... I forgot all about the scouting ... well, at least, they can be fired ...
Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Pedroia and Kinsler are both better defensive second basemen, with higher DWAR scores. IIRC Pedroia's DWAR is twice what Cano's is.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

So if I edit Cano, the actual ratings showing won't change until my scout re-scouts the players? how does that work?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Pedroia and Kinsler are both better defensive second basemen, with higher DWAR scores. IIRC Pedroia's DWAR is twice what Cano's is.
Yeah, this is true too.

Cano's defense isn't all that great.

Still Pedroia and Kinsler's ranges were just too darn high. That's fixed now. They'll still be better defenders than Cano, just not so absurdly good.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
So if I edit Cano, the actual ratings showing won't change until my scout re-scouts the players? how does that work?
you could always go to league setup and click on 'Run OSA & Human Scouts Rescout', that would do it immediately.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Right. You can also turn scouting off and then the changes will show up right away.

It's your game, do what you want, but see my comments above first. Wolf's comment is very applicable too.

I definitely don't recommend boosting Cano, and certainly not to the levels you suggested. That would make him as good a defender as Iglesias or Simmons, which would be ridiculous.

You'd be better off nerfing Pedroia and Kinsler' ranges. I set them at around 140 or so, which is still darn good.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

As a general rule, players don't become 20% better just because they play for your favorite team.

As an aside, typical Yanks fan.
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Thanks guys, I didn't have much to go on but compare Cano to Kinsler and Pedroia and the gap was just insane.... I'll lower Pedroia and Kinsler, however, there's no better 2nd baseman turning in a DP than Robbie..... I may be delusional but to me he's the best in the game at that.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

There's no doubt regarding to the amount of DPs and his range ... but I'm more into the total package of the defense area ...
Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks guys, I didn't have much to go on but compare Cano to Kinsler and Pedroia and the gap was just insane.... I'll lower Pedroia and Kinsler, however, there's no better 2nd baseman turning in a DP than Robbie..... I may be delusional but to me he's the best in the game at that.
You're delusional.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

2013 Regular Season MLB Baseball 2B Fielding Statistics - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

How is that relevant? that just shows numbers, does it take into account the velocity of the ball and the base runners ability? All you have to do is watch him turn insanely impossible DP. What Cano does Pedroia and Kinsler cannot do.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Well, if you click on the DP column you are both wrong. It's Jose Altuve.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote