Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Draft Improvements

I'm a draft nut and the draft system in OOTP is very underwhelming to me. There are a lot of things that could be improved about the default draft system. I'd like to offer a couple suggestions on how to improve it to become more realistic. These mirror real-life draft processes and could work in a fictional league, too.
  • View a high school player's college commitment. Could be in player info near signability.
  • If a high school player does not sign and goes to college, they spend 3 years at college before being eligible next, accumulating 3 years of stats.
  • Remove the "all players after Round 5 auto-sign" rule. Players in rounds 1-10 have a slot bonus assigned to their pick, teams have a bonus pool they can distribute among these players. Players after round 10 can be signed for $100K or less, otherwise the extra money goes towards the cap pool. Why do this? Well, I can snag "extremely hard" signability HS players in the sixth round and then they are an easy sign.
  • On that note, more clear signability. Maybe instead of "signability", "College Commitment Strength". Players would be grouped in different ways, like Firm (think Kyle Serrano of this year), Unknown (Chris Okey for instance), Loose (Any HS first-rounder), or none (Hunter Harvey). High school players with Firm would almost never sign unless given HUGE bonuses or something. Remove the "slot bonus demand" and negotiate based on the slot bonus for that player's pick. Some players (a la A.J. Puk this past year) are so raw that scouts don't think they are worth drafting even if signable. Dunno how to implement that, but it would be cool.

That's all I have for now... there's probably more. Ha.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
ChrisG
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
I'm a draft nut and the draft system in OOTP is very underwhelming to me. There are a lot of things that could be improved about the default draft system. I'd like to offer a couple suggestions on how to improve it to become more realistic. These mirror real-life draft processes and could work in a fictional league, too.
  • View a high school player's college commitment. Could be in player info near signability.
  • If a high school player does not sign and goes to college, they spend 3 years at college before being eligible next, accumulating 3 years of stats.
  • Remove the "all players after Round 5 auto-sign" rule. Players in rounds 1-10 have a slot bonus assigned to their pick, teams have a bonus pool they can distribute among these players. Players after round 10 can be signed for $100K or less, otherwise the extra money goes towards the cap pool. Why do this? Well, I can snag "extremely hard" signability HS players in the sixth round and then they are an easy sign.
  • On that note, more clear signability. Maybe instead of "signability", "College Commitment Strength". Players would be grouped in different ways, like Firm (think Kyle Serrano of this year), Unknown (Chris Okey for instance), Loose (Any HS first-rounder), or none (Hunter Harvey). High school players with Firm would almost never sign unless given HUGE bonuses or something. Remove the "slot bonus demand" and negotiate based on the slot bonus for that player's pick. Some players (a la A.J. Puk this past year) are so raw that scouts don't think they are worth drafting even if signable. Dunno how to implement that, but it would be cool.

That's all I have for now... there's probably more. Ha.
Agreed on all of these! Especially on the autosign thing. Never made sense to me that you could get an "Extremely Hard" sign extremely easily.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
If a high school player does not sign and goes to college, they spend 3 years at college before being eligible next, accumulating 3 years of stats.
This feature exists already, it's called "feeder leagues".
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Bump with a new idea.

One of my favorite things each year is Baseball America's draft map, where they list the best prospects state-by-state. Maybe something like that in OOTP? An interactive map where you highlight a state and it shows maybe "Number of Prospects" and then when you click on it, shows all the draft prospects from high schools and colleges within the state. Even more maybe a list of prospects from outside the state who were born inside the state? To add on to this, I'd like to see a state-by-state view in Explore Game World. Like, you can view "Player from Connecticut" or "Player from Florida" as opposed to just all players from the United States.

Cheers!
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I want some of the old draft rules. Such as draft-and-follow. Or the two draft types (regular and secondary). Or the two draft periods (January and June).

But I'd be happy at this point just to be able to have more control over how the draft order is determined. E.g. alternating by subleague; without regard to subleague; random; random by halves.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
garrioch13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm a draft nut

as well and would love to have realistic names and info on the players out as far as reasonable, which would be 2016 at this point for college players and 2015 for high school players. I have seen the vast majority of the players that are highly rated and would be happy to help you with bio info, ratings, commitments, etc.

A "showcase" for prep draft prospects could be a fun addition and add realism.
I think this would be a fun addition.
garrioch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrioch13 View Post
as well and would love to have realistic names and info on the players out as far as reasonable, which would be 2016 at this point for college players and 2015 for high school players. I have seen the vast majority of the players that are highly rated and would be happy to help you with bio info, ratings, commitments, etc.
I've been bugging the team to add the ability to have future draft classes, as well as on some other draft related suggestions. I've put up some stuff in the beta section, and Markus has been been favorable to the idea(s). When/if it'll happen though, who knows.

I have a lot of info on prospects stretching into 2015 right now, mostly whatever PG has behind the pay wall and what I find from you and some other free sources.

But anything you can give me is helpful. If it doesn't immediately go into the game itself, it will go into my College/HS roster project, and from there eventually into the game.

Do you still have my email address? Please, if you would, send me whatever you have, that you're willing to part with, even if it's just raw info and random observations. It'll be much appreciated and I can guarantee it'll make it into the game one way or another.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-03-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
garrioch13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I sent you a spreadsheet with a lot of info on 2014-2016 guys including where I have them ranked. I'll work on ratings over the winter as well and send it to you as soon as I've made some progress. I hope we can get this in the game. It would add a ton in my opinion.

Last edited by garrioch13; 08-02-2013 at 10:34 PM.
garrioch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

In regards to the signing bonus pool used in real life, for any such system to be in OOTP it must be able to scale to different size leagues and different length of drafts and draft rounds. Fictional leagues have to be able to use such a feature with equal ease as would an MLB league. And that matter of scaling poses some questions that would need to be answered.

For example, in real life the bonus pool covers the first 10 rounds of a 50-round draft. So how would it scale if the user's draft is only 12 rounds in total? Or just 7 rounds long? In real life the slot values are tied to league revenue. How would that work in OOTP with its very different financial structure? And so on.

I'm not saying the idea of an MLB-style signing bonus pool shouldn't be pursued. It's just that it's not an easy or simple addition due the questions surrounding how such a feature should scale for fictional leagues, which it must. It would need to be carefully thought out.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 08-03-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
MrBug708
Minors (Single A)

I think the ability to spread the draft out over a length of time to help with online leagues. As soon as the draft is up, have commish's be able to implement the picks as we go and not done on one single day
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
EHR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
For example, in real life the bonus pool covers the first 10 rounds of a 50-round draft.
Actually it is 40 rounds IRL now.
EHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think the ability to spread the draft out over a length of time to help with online leagues. As soon as the draft is up, have commish's be able to implement the picks as we go and not done on one single day
There's an app for that - OOTPOU
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHR View Post
Actually it is 40 rounds IRL now.
Yeah, I thought it had been lowered to 40 but couldn't remember for sure. So I went with 50 instead.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I would like to be able to "Add Player(s) to all draft lists" from the draft pool screen instead of just the draft list screen.
Color code the draft pool screen to match the draft list screen.

I have always been bothered by how small the available players section of the draft list is.

In online leagues I will set up draft lists with 200-300 players. Having double the screen size for available players would be welcome.