Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #21
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post

In the good news department the White Sox/Indians game was over in 2 hr 30 min last night. Both starters pitched into the 7th and yet 6 total pitchers were still used. The only one that really slows it down though is when pitchers are changed between batters which only happened twice. Some MLB exec needs to watch that game and find a way to replicate it. Lol

3 walks in that game, total

brewers/philles - 10 walks 3:57
Oakland/seattle, 12 walks 3:47 (10 innings)

low walks isn't a guarantee of a short game, but I do believe there is a correlation
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
Reed
All Star Starter

1919 Giants beat Phillies 6-1 in 9 inning game. Time, not 4 hours, not 3 hours, not 2 hours, not 1 hour. 51 minutes.
Yes 51 minutes for a 9 inning game. Heck you now have at least 51 minutes in commercials between half innings in 9 innings.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #23
pilight
All Star Starter

The length of the games isn't a big deal. Nobody's complaining about college football games and they take forever. The problem is too much down time with nothing happening.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
The length of the games isn't a big deal. Nobody's complaining about college football games and they take forever. The problem is too much down time with nothing happening.

I don't buy that, tbh. football has plenty of downtime too. more time spent in the huddle than actual on field play
Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #25
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
I don't buy that, tbh. football has plenty of downtime too. more time spent in the huddle than actual on field play

But football is more violent and I think that gives an illusion of more going on. Both baseball and football are 3+ hour broadcasts with 15 minutes of action. Neither are games that I can sit down and watch start to finish.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #26
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
But football is more violent and I think that gives an illusion of more going on. Both baseball and football are 3+ hour broadcasts with 15 minutes of action. Neither are games that I can sit down and watch start to finish.
162 games vs 18. Games every day (your team plays 5-6 games per week) vs 1 game a week with the majority centered on one magical day. I think this will always tilt things in favor of football when it comes to viewership.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Football has the play clock, which gives the viewer a sense of urgency
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #28
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
162 games vs 18. Games every day (your team plays 5-6 games per week) vs 1 game a week with the majority centered on one magical day. I think this will always tilt things in favor of football when it comes to viewership.

I think you are right and I also think that football is a better TV sport than baseball. Slowness actually gives a chance to show each play from various angles, especially if there is a big hit, or it is an important play. I just know that for me, and I can't really say why, I flip baseball games on as soon as the season starts and have them on as background noise whenever my wife and I aren't specifically watching something else.

Football, on the other hand, I find I cannot get interested in until the World Series and the MLS playoffs are done.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #29
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

I can understand that, yeah

which is yet another reason Thursday football is a bad mistake
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Football has the play clock, which gives the viewer a sense of urgency

fair enough, that makes a bit more sense to me
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #31
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can understand that, yeah

which is yet another reason Thursday football is a bad mistake
I think it would pass if they gave the participating teams the Sunday before off. I think it makes for bad games when they have short turnaround times. But as it is presently implemented, I agree.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #32
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
You live in the US? But you're from somewhere else, correct?
nope, all american. been to canada and mexico, lol. only speak one language etc...

i find when i take a year off (or 2) of going to the park, it's a much better experience for me. a good baseball product helps a lot too. it'll by at least 3 years before that's possibly true again where i live. even that is a lot of sports radio pipedreaming type expectations. detroit is a very poorly run club for decades now - my entire lifetime at the least. some assemblance of competency with dumbrowski, but he also slowed down progress (statistical analysis was ignored while the rest of the league adapted during his tenure) while being hampered by a desperate billionaire's ill-conceived wishes (heavy reaching and waste involved).

most of deteroit's sports teams are run like they were in the 1950's. slow to adapt. always behind on any cultural or intellectual shift in the league. they choose not to employ any creative thinkers and stick to tradition with 3" spikes for traction. get a bunch of derivative thinkers that can only follow a herd... toward the back

Last edited by NoOne; 05-16-2019 at 01:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote