Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Update From The Front Office:
August 16th, 1987
Team Record: 69-51
(1st Place In North, 0 GB)

Name:  STANDINGS7.png
Views: 206
Size:  19.8 KB

Duluth started the month of August on a positive note, winning 10-2 over Oshkosh behind a stellar pitching performance from Robert Snyder. The win came directly before the All Star Break, and left the Danger with an increased sense of confidence headed into the final six weeks of the season.

Following the conclusion of a nail-biting victory for the North League in the All Star Game, Duluth was slated to resume play against the struggling Cedar Rapids Rebels on the road. Although the Rebels have been less than spectacular in the 1987 year, prior to the three game set, the season series between the two clubs was split at an even 7-7. Behind quality pitching in each of the three games, Duluth walked away with the series sweep, having only allowed five runs combined in each contest.

"I've always subscribed to the mindset that if a team can't showcase a winning record against teams in the bottom half of the league, then they don't deserve to make the postseason." explained GM Giles "Although I certainly acknowledge the Rebels have a great deal of developing talent, we're the better team at the present time. These are games we should win!"

The next week would ultimately prove to be a defining moment for the Danger; three HUGE games against both Oshkosh and South Bend. A sweep in either of the two series and the Danger could potentially take the drivers seat in the North League standings.

Note: Click the headings of each game to see the complete box-scores.

South Bend Silver Sox @ Duluth Danger (August 9th, 1987)

Duluth called upon Pitcher Of The Year candidate Alfred Warren to kick off a week of key games. Warren was dominant from the first inning on, denying South Bend a single run in seven complete innings of work, striking out eight. The Duluth offense was powered by a pair of solo home runs by John Newman and Michael Sanders, and Larry Stanley came on for the 1-2-3 save in a 4-2 victory for Duluth.

South Bend Silver Sox @ Duluth Danger (August 10th, 1987)

With a five-game winning streak on the line, top prospect Gerald Humphrey took the rubber against former #2 HBL Prospect and 1982 first-round draftee Henry "Wolverine" Morrow for South Bend. After three quick innings of scoreless baseball, South Bend jumped ahead to a 1-0 lead in the 4th inning on Albert Bosel's 17th home run on the season. The Danger quickly responded with two of their own in the bottom half, and never lost the lead again. Humphrey went 8 innings, struck out 6, allowed one-earned, and one walk to earn the Player Of The Game.

South Bend Silver Sox @ Duluth Danger (August 11th, 1987)

Game three, and now a six-game streak for Duluth. Oh how good a sweep would feel right now (especially considering the opponent)! Unfortunately, despite striking for two early runs in the first inning, the Danger would fall in Game 3 due to an unlikely performance by Bakhitiyar Davis, who allowed four earned-runs in 1.2 innings of work. Final score, 5-3 South Bend.

Robert Snyder had his second consecutive impressive start since being moved to the rotation in place of Terry Knight, this time going 5.2 innings and allowing no earned runs. Both Preston Richards and Mike Young had three hits in the game in a losing effort.

Oshkosh Outlaws @ Duluth Danger (August 12th, 1987)

Domination is the best way to describe game one of the three game series against Oshkosh. The Outlaws CRUSHED Danger ace Steven Hembrow for three runs in the first inning, but Duluth's powerful offense didn't let that stop them, scoring four of their own in the bottom half. Hembrow steadied himself in the later innings, and Duluth went on to be victorious 11-4.

John Newman had another big night, crushing two home runs and driving in five to earn Player Of The Game honors.

Oshkosh Outlaws @ Duluth Danger (August 13th, 1987)

Former 1985 Pitcher Of The Year runner-up Logan Gleeson had his first quality start in forever, tossing 7.2 innings of two-run baseball as the Danger defeated Oshkosh 3-2. Where did Duluth get their runs you ask? John Newman hit two for the second straight night, further strengthening his chances of breaking the North League home run record!

Oshkosh Outlaws @ Duluth Danger (August 14th, 1987)

Duluth breezes through the final game of the series against Oshkosh with a 6-4 victory (okay, maybe not a breeze, but it sure felt like it). This is how we do it in Duluth.

At the end of the first half of August, Duluth is currently 9-3 on the month, having lost the first two games of a three-game set against Bay City after the sweep of Oshkosh. The Danger now posses the lead in the North, with a 2.0 game advantage over both South Bend and Oshkosh.

Big News:
- Mike Young signed a three-year extension with the Danger through 1990.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-16-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Update From The Front Office:
September 1st, 1987
Team Record: 76-57
(1st Place In North, 0 GB)

Name:  STANDINGS8.png
Views: 216
Size:  42.8 KB

Eleven games left in the regular season and the North League isn't any closer to crowning a champion than they were on Opening Day. Despite having a 4.5 game lead over Oshkosh on August 23rd, the Danger have all but lost their advantage in the standings since. Bay City has managed to remain relevant in the race, battling back from a once nine game deficit. Nevertheless, given that the season ends on September 11th, it's safe to say it's going to be a two team dual from this point forward.

Could you really have seen this ending any other way?

As the Danger prepare for a possible Championship birth, I decided to provide a look at the South League standings as well. The Canton Kernals are on the verge of their third straight South League title and their sixth championship run in ten years. Springfield and Jefferson City remain in the race, barely, and are pursuing their first Heartland Series appearance.

The Danger suffered a pair of injuries late in the month of August. Palmer Cooper (.314/.393/.403) was injured on August 30th and is out for one week. It might not seem devastating at first glance, but you gotta' consider the fact that there are only two weeks left!

Reliever Joe Buckley is suffering from forearm tendinitis and is out for the remainder of the season. Given that Buckley has a 1.52 WHIP in 1987, this isn't particularly heartbreaking.

Of course, I always come prepared with good news! John Newman recently tied the Single-Season NORTH LEAGUE record for home runs with 39. Keep in mind that the HBL Record is 51 by Kelvin Green in 1984. Also take note that our season is only 144 games, so 39 is pretty ridiculous. '

Terry Knight, the guy we basically traded our entire minor league system for last month -- sucks. Since being traded to the Danger, Knight has pitched in 11 games, posted a 1-3 record, 8.49 ERA and 1.85 WHIP. I took him out of the rotation three weeks or so ago, but Robert Snyder hasn't been much better despite a couple good starts.

To conclude, here's a look at the Danger schedule for the remainder of the year. Only one more against the Outlaws...

Name:  SCHEDULE1.png
Views: 231
Size:  35.8 KB

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-17-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Minor League Player Of The Year -- 1987!
September 1st, 1987

Every season the Duluth front office recognizes the best player in the system for an individual year. Prospect rankings, previous year stats, league level, potential -- it's all thrown out the door. The only thing that matters is performance. Given that this is a stats-only league, this is certainly the best indicator of potential to begin with.

Note: In order to qualify for this award, a player must be under 26.

Enough rambling...here's your 1987 Minor League POY for Duluth!

Name:  player_3653.png
Views: 189
Size:  24.9 KB

LF Emilio Cruz (AA/AAA/HBL)

I'm going to be entirely honest and admit that after a series of trades, the Duluth farm system is pathetic, ranking 10th of 12 in the HBL. The Danger have grown accustomed to having a stacked farm in recent years, but this isn't one of them. However, if there was a bright spot in the system this year, it was LF Emilio Cruz!

You know you've had a good season when you change levels in a positive direction twice in the same year. Having begun the league with Double-A Rockford Revolution, Cruz batted his way all the way to Duluth where he was just recently called up as a September call-up. Cruz was drafted with the 47th overall pick in the 1985 first-year player draft out of Northwestern University, and has thus far exceeded his expectations!

If there's one thing that might've hindered Cruz's earning of this award, it's his lack of at-bats. Though he batted just under 250 times in the minor leagues, Cruz still managed to strike for 84 hits, 22 home runs, and an OPS through the roof. He is regarded as a top of the line power threat with a solid ability to hit for batting average as well! His glove leads something to be desired, and he is not a threat on the base paths.

Name:  CRUZ.png
Views: 184
Size:  9.0 KB

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-17-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #24
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Tomorrow is the big sim guys! I've decided not to do a lot of September call-ups this year because I need to focus on winning over development. I've only called up five guys from the Minor League team, and most of them won't see any action. Can't wait to look over the results tomorrow!

If you've been following my Dynasty, you know I've flip flopped my starting rotation basically ever sim, trying to find solutions. Everyone is just so darn inconsistent! I've finally settled on eliminating one of the five starters for the last 11 games and going with a four-man rotation.

Here's what we're looking at...

1. Alfred Warren (12-5, 3.22 ERA, 1.29 WHIP)
2. Gerald Humphrey (12-9, 4.57 ERA, 1.51 WHIP)
3. Steven Hembrow (10-10, 4.22 ERA, 1.36 WHIP)
4. Robert Snyder (5-5, 5.18 ERA, 1.62 WHIP)

I know Snyder looks bad, but I can't seem to stop relying on him given that he has a 101 MPH fastball. It's either him or ice-cold Logan Gleeson and Terry Knight (both of which are usually really good).

Do I rely on small sample sizes from the last two months, my gut, or career history? I just don't know! AHHHHH!!!

Suggestions please?! Home Page

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

I feel like my pitchers look worse than they actually are because my defense has like a -78 ZR. I just noticed that Logan Gleeson has a 3.68 FIP this year.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Do not listen to the gut.

Go with career numbers

Besides I do not think OOTP has coding in place that causes streaks or slumps. True, it tracks them but I believe OOTP-caused slumps/streaks were removed versions ago. I'll look for the thread.

Anyway, go with the math and remember...regression towards the mean.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 08-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

4-man rotation is a good idea. In fact, I'd consider a 3-man rotation with a pitch limits to close out the last 11. Are there any off days in your last sim?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Do not listen to the gut.

Go with career numbers

Besides I do not think OOTP has coding in place that causes streaks or slumps. True, it tracks them but I believe OOTP-caused slumps/streaks were removed versions ago. I'll look for the thread.

Anyway, go with the math and remember...regression towards the mean.
I'm not blaming the slump on the game. But keep in mind that Terry Knight is old and regressing. I don't know if his slump is bad luck or him getting older. He hasn't been great for awhile. As for Gleeson, it's been two years since he was a star. He could have lost his ability also. That's what's getting me. The fact that both their FIP's are way under their ERA gives me hope.

Here's the schedule by the way. No off days

Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
4-man rotation is a good idea. In fact, I'd consider a 3-man rotation with a pitch limits to close out the last 11. Are there any off days in your last sim?
I might go with this idea actually. My bullpen is good enough to pull it off.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

suerte

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #31
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1987 Season Review -- That's A Wrap...
September 12th, 1987

Name:  NORTH1.bmp
Views: 208
Size:  171.8 KB

Well, that's it guys. I wish I had better news to deliver, but Oshkosh played 8-2 baseball in the last eleven days and clinched their sixth North League title in ten seasons. To nobodies surprise, the Outlaws will face off against the Canton Kernals, who have also won six pennants and will be competing for their third straight Heartland Series Championship. The Kernals delivered in a tiebreaking game #145 against the Jefferson City Jackalopes, a club pursuing their first playoff birth in history.

As for Duluth, it's time to move on and start preparing for 1988...

Duluth Record Breaking Seasons:
The following players broke organizational single-season records for Duluth in 1987. These are not HBL records -- only Duluth.

- 1B Andrew Rodgers: Single Season OBP (.408)
- 1B Andrew Rodgers: Single Season OPS (.964)
- 1B Andrew Rodgers: Single Season VORP (54.2)
- OF Michael Sanders: Single Season Runs (115)
- OF Michael Sanders: Single Season Triples (8)
- 3B John Newman: Single Season Home Runs (42)
- 3B John Newman: Single Season RBI (134)
- CL Bakhitiyar Davis: Single Season Saves (39)
- SP Alfred Warren: Single Season OSLG (.333)

Duluth Team Records:
The following organizational team records were broken in 1987

- Team AVG (.289)
- Team SLG (.444)
- Team OPS (.790)
- Team Hits (1444)
- Team Saves (50)

Possible Free Agents and Financial Situation

Headed into 1988, the Danger have 4.3 million in guarenteed money for next year. The official league salary cap is 5 million, so barring any last minute salary-dumps, Duluth only has about $700,000 to spend in the off-season.

The only players (as of now) that won't be returning next year are OF Palmer Cooper and CL Larry Stanley. It's highly unlikely that either of these two will be brought back unless they're willing to agree to a one-year deal.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #32
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1987 Draft Preview: Players To Watch!
September 13th, 1987

Here's a few guys you might want to keep an eye on for the upcoming first-year player draft! We have a particularly good pool this year with a couple of guys GM's have been anxiously waiting to graduate the past few years...

Draft Order:
1. Rochester Reapers (53-91)
2. Dayton Dawgs (55-89)
3. Cedar Rapids Rebels (62-82)
4. Evansville Twisters (62-82)
5. Poplar Bluff Predators (62-82)
6. South Bend Silver Sox (74-70)
7. Bay City Lake Monsters (78-66)
8. Springfield Storm (82-62)
9. Duluth Danger (82-62)
10. Jefferson City Jackalopes (85-60)
11. Loser of Heartland Series (Oshkosh/Canton)
12. Winner Of Heartland Series (Oshkosh/Canton)

Name:  ATOMS.png
Views: 187
Size:  25.3 KB
SP/CL? Robert Morris -- Dayton HS Atoms

Look, If anyone has a tenancy to be unfair on high school starters it's me. I guess I have a bad history of drafting 18 year-olds, waiting forever for them to develop, and the final product being less than satisfactory. Furthermore, they're more costly. When you draft a high school player, they're going to be eligible for free-agency well before their prime years, making them both risky and expensive.

With that said you know Morris must be an absolute gem for me to recommend him as a potential draft selection. I'm pretty high on the kid to put it mildly. Just last season, Robert Morris concluded the 1987 campaign with an 11-1 record, 1.50 ERA, 1.11 FIP, and a 12.75 K/9. Each year of his high school career his FIP has consistently dropped below his ERA, indicating that he could perform even better with adequate defense behind him. Morris' fastball tends to max out around 98 MPH, but with great work ethic, look for him to add a few more to his fireball in the next few seasons. Another plus? Morris has a 70% ground ball tenancy. Combine that with his strikeout rate and you're looking at a guy that can pitch out of a lot of big jams.

The only thing that could hinder his draft slot is his lack of pitches. Although he was a starter in high school, teams drafting him likely won't use him as such with only two pitches in his arsenal. He's one pitch away from having borderline legendary material.

Although he is easily the best arm in the draft this year, he could fall mid to late first round depending on how the GM's value closers this year. We'll see how it pans out.

Name:  ENGLISH.png
Views: 185
Size:  27.4 KB
OF Matt English -- Purdue University

You wouldn't believe the numbers on this kid! In four years at Purdue University, English batted just under 600 times with a career slash line of .337/.501/.704 while belting 53 home runs, driving in 133, and stealing 68 bags. English is a five-tool player if I ever saw one. Although fielding is the weakest of his skills, he still ranks as an above-average left fielder with plenty enough speed to make him an asset in center field as well. With incredible work ethic, a strong desire to win and a durable reputation on the field, English is a scouts wildest fantasy.

While GM's across the league continue to salivate at Matt's potential, only one team has a realistic chance of obtaining his services in the upcoming draft -- The Rochester Reapers. I'd be shocked to see him go anywhere but 1st overall.

Duluth Draft Watch -- GM Giles High On C Foster

Forget Morris and English -- there's no chance either of the two stars are headed to Duluth. The Danger have the eighth selection this season, therefor need to prepare to draft more realistic candidates. Although Giles has gone with college starters in each of the last five drafts, this may be the year to break the tradition. With a thin pool of NCAA hurlers, the organization may draft a batter in the first round for the first time since 1980.

Given that current Duluth catcher Melvin Shields just recently celebrated his thirty-fifth birthday, the time has come to begin looking ahead to his future replacement. Who better than Oshkosh High School catcher Ernie Foster!

Foster is a stud behind the plate. He's got great work ethic, a decent arm, extreme speed on the base-paths, durability, and HUGE contact potential. Foster spent four seasons with the Oshkosh HS Green Sox and never missed a single game. Playing in 240 career high school ballgames, Foster had a career .370 batting average, 376 hits, 93 stolen bases, and 41 home runs. Not to say that he's no power threat at all, but that's not his strongest asset. He did hit a career high 12 home runs in 255 at-bats last year though.

If Foster is still available when Duluth gets on the clock, there is a very strong chance the catcher will be donning the red and gold in his future. Don't get your hopes up though -- catchers are especially thin in this league.

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #33
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Comfortable text size ...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #34
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
Comfortable text size ...
Yeah, do my text sizes look normal to you right now? It's weird because they change every time I look at my threads. I don't get why.

Everything looks good on my end but for some reason size four seems to show up as size three for me.

It's been making me paranoid the last couple days lol

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-21-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Actually, the text is bigger than your normal text size ... BUT, I like it ... easier on the eyes ...
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

John Newman -- A Season To Be Remembered
September 13th, 1987

Name:  player_1023.png
Views: 209
Size:  24.7 KB
Looking strictly at the numbers from the past three seasons, it's difficult to point the finger at one particular year as being the best John Newman has had in his short tenure in the league. His numbers are so blatantly consistent that there seems to be little standing in the way of a Hall of Fame career for the now twenty-five year old Duluth third baseman.

This year was no different. In the sixth inning of a September 4th matchup against the Cedar Rapids Rebels, Newman dug in to the batters box with Palmer Cooper and Andrew Rodgers looking on from the base-paths. A crowd of 14,860 clung tightly to their ticket stubs, holding on to hope that this would be the day Newman would blast home run number #40 -- the most of any North League player in the HBL's ten-year history.

Four South League players had done it before, but that didn't matter then. The North is a league of it's own, and Newman was it's king. On the second pitch of his at-bat against prized Rebels starter Nate "Snitch" Mitchell, Newman belted a mythical 422-foot blast to center field. As he trotted around the base-paths he appeared to move in slow-motion as the fans roared with enthusiasm. This was his moment. The pressure was over and when the dust settled, he was the new North home run champ.

Newman would later homer again in the eighth inning, simply adding a little extra padding to his new high. When the season ended and Duluth was eliminated from the post-season race, this moment with Newman rounding the bases would be remembered as the greatest highlight to another great year of Danger baseball.

John Newman has now led the North in home runs three consecutive years. He currently ranks 28th on the all-time leader-board.

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 08-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

1987 In Review: League Leaders
September 13th, 1987

Just as an FYI, I'm too lazy to download the new image sets so the jerseys for most of the leaders don't match the team they're actually on right now.

Name:  BATTING HALF 1.png
Views: 151
Size:  207.4 KB

Name:  BATTING HALF 2.png
Views: 150
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  PITCHING 1.png
Views: 151
Size:  191.7 KB

Name:  PITCHING 2.png
Views: 152
Size:  197.6 KB

Old 11-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Snyder Resigns For 1990 -- Duluth Nation Rejoices!
May 21st, 1989

When Robert "Bhut Jolokia" Snyder, nicknamed after the infamously hot 'ghost pepper' for his 101-mph heater, was drafted by the Rochester Reapers at the tail-end of the 1981 first-year player draft, nobody would've ever expected him to one day emerge as one of the best arms in the Heartland. Today, he's well on his way to his 3rd All Star Game and ranks second in the HBL in ERA (2.39), while boasting an undefeated 5-0 record in 1989. He's finally overtaken long-term ace Steven Hembrow at the pinnacle of the Duluth rotation and is prepared to be a centerpiece in the future plans on the franchise.

On April 29th, Gavin Giles relieved some of his worries, choosing to resign the 26-year old Chicago product to a one-year extension worth $228,000. Although Giles has admitted he would've preferred a long-term deal, he explained that Robert wanted to prove to the franchise and management that he could be a consistent winner before subjecting the organization to potentially catastrophic financial implications.

"I don't want to take a dime that I haven't earned." explained Snyder "Although I have confidence in my abilities, I did struggle in 1987, and I want to show everyone that I can be consistently dominant before I sign a long-term deal. I don't believe I've earned that yet."

Snyder is one of eight potential upcoming free agents on the Duluth active roster. Contract negotiations are still ongoing for the following players; SP Steven Hembrow (reports indicate the 35 year-old wants a five year deal), SU Chris Hatfield, C Dean Hayes, 2B Jose Morales, MR Joe Buckley, MR Reese Peterson, 2B Preston Richards, and RF Sam Adams.

Recent rumors speculate that Joe Buckley is on the verge of signing an extension, though the exact numbers are unclear.

Last edited by Mr. Baseball; 11-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Mike Young -- The Silent Captain
May 21st, 1989

Very few people outside of Duluth are aware of the impact Mike Young has had on the Danger franchise over the past decade. Upon initial examination, one might incorrectly label John Newman or Steven Hembrow as the vocal leader in the Duluth clubhouse, though on the contrary, Young has been the honorary team captain since 1987.

"He's one of those guys that leads by example." explained rookie reliever Michael Yates "He knows how to give the occasional motivational speech when necessary, but picks his timing carefully. He's not an 'in your face kind of guy'. He just lets each of us do our thing and only steps in when he feels we need an emotional lift. We all respect him here."

Although just 28 years-old, Young has been a member of the Danger franchise since 1981, making him the longest tenured player on the roster. His most recent contract extension, signed during the 1987 season, is good through 1990 and there seems to be little doubt that GM Gavin Giles will be bringing him back following it's expiration.

"If you were to ask me who the most underrated player in the Heartland League is, I wouldn't hesitate before saying Mike Young" assessed Giles "He's only been to one All Star game, never won a Top Fielder award, and never won Player Of The Week, but he's a real gamer. He's put up some phenomenal numbers across the board his whole career."

Young was graciously given the nickname of 'Force Field' by his teammates due to his ability to keep any ball hit his way from escaping the infield. In his career at shortstop, Young has posted a 1.012 EFF, 26.6 ZR, and 4.59 RF. He is highly regarded across the league for his ability to turn double plays, avoid errors, and hit the first baseman from a country mile away. Offensively, Mike has a career 11.8 WAR, 91.4 VORP, .277 AVG, .347 OBP, 149 SB, and .740 OPS.

"He's never going to put up big numbers like Andrew Rodgers or John Newman might, but it's his ability to contribute across the board that makes him so valuable. He can run, he can field, he's got the leadership, the desire to win, the work ethic, he gets walks, and knows hot to rack up hits. There's really nothing he can't do. I'm blessed to have him on the team" concluded Giles.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #40
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Prospect Profile: CL Norm Miller
May 11th, 1989

Name: Norm Miller
Position: Closer
League Level: Single-A Grand Rapids Gargoyles
Drafted: 1989, 5th Overall by the Duluth Danger
1989 Prospect Ranking: #8
1989 Stats (A): 10.1 IP, 1.84 WHIP, 5 Saves, 8.71 ERA, 9.58 K/9

Although Duluth typically likes to draft pitchers in the first round, that's not to say that the Danger have had a particularly successful history when it comes to drafting arms. Since 1981, the Danger have used seven of their eight first-round selections on hurlers. Lee Wilson was a total flop, the infamous Alfred Warren is probably the most inconsistent pitcher in baseball, George Graves is now a middle-reliever with Oshkosh, Gerald Humphrey has all but been given up on, Mahmud Dingane is 26 and can't seem to get past Double-A ball, and Timothy Hill was traded to the Outlaws in the deal that brought Terry Knight and Larry Stanley to Duluth back in 87'. With that said, 'promising' isn't a word I'd use to describe the Danger's most recent first round pick -- Norm Miller. Does he have potential? Yes. But so did every other name on the above mentioned saga.

Duluth is where great prospects go to die. Simply put. For the sake of the future of the franchise, let's hope Norm Miller can put an end to the curse before things really get ugly.

Miller didn't exactly fit into the preexisting schema of Duluth draftees when he was selected. Unlike the others, he's a reliever and was selected out of High School. Destined to take over as closer following the likely departure of Bakhitiyar Davis at the end of 1990, Miller will have his work cut out for him.

Norm has been known to throw in the mid-to-upper nineties, with a cutter, slider, and changeup to compliment his fastball. In four seasons with Duluth's affiliate High School, Miller posted a career 12.95 K/9 ratio, 1.53 FIP, 2.39 W/9, 1.02 WHIP, 39 Saves and a 10-5 win loss record. These statistics were recorded in 121.2 innings and 85 games. Miller's stamina leaves something to be desired and he does have some rather unpleasant injury history in his past, having undergone Tommy John Surgery back in 1985. Though that was almost four years ago now and he's more than proven that he's already recovered from the setback.

Miller has been known to be excellent at holding runners, especially given his pin-point control. He gets more groundballs than the average pitcher, making him a viable option out of the pen with the bases drunk. Personality-wise, Miller's ability to lead his team and work hard during practice makes his development all the more certain.

Norm is currently on the active-roster for Danger Single-A affiliate, the Grand Rapids Gargoyles.