Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Contract auto. renewal question

I'm still a little unclear on the "Contract gets automatically renewed" mechanic.

I thought that any player on the 40-man Roster making ML league minimum salary would have their contract automatically renewed at season's end, provided they are not eligible for arbitration.

But it appears that if a player on the 40-man roster (making minimum salary) gets sent to the minors before the free agency period begins (Nov. 22?), their contract will get renewed as a *minor league contract* -- is that correct? That's what appears to have happened to several of my players -- I was (pleasantly) surprised by this but still not sure I understand what happened.

Any further clarification on how auto renewal works would be much appreciated.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

anyone?

this is from the manual, but it contradicts what I have seen in my league -- I had players on the 40-man roster who were sent down to the minors, and then had their contracts renewed as *minor league* contracts. These players were *not* waived, just sent down -- ??

Major League Contracts

Major league contracts run for a fixed number of years, and have a specific salary amount for each year in the contract. Major league contracts can also include no-trade clauses or incentives. A player with a major league contract remains under the team's control until one of the following events occurs:
  1. The player's contract expires.
  2. The player is traded or retires.
If a player's major league contract ends, one of the following three things will occur:
  1. He will become a free agent.
  2. He will undergo salary arbitration.
  3. If he has less than three years of major league service time, he will be automatically signed to a contract for the league minimum.
Major league contracts are guaranteed. If you choose to release a player from his contract, you must immediately pay all of the remaining salary due on the contract, even if it spans multiple years. Players who retire void the remaining portion of their contracts.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
anyone?

this is from the manual, but it contradicts what I have seen in my league -- I had players on the 40-man roster who were sent down to the minors, and then had their contracts renewed as *minor league* contracts. These players were *not* waived, just sent down -- ??

Major League Contracts

Major league contracts run for a fixed number of years, and have a specific salary amount for each year in the contract. Major league contracts can also include no-trade clauses or incentives. A player with a major league contract remains under the team's control until one of the following events occurs:
  1. The player's contract expires.
  2. The player is traded or retires.
If a player's major league contract ends, one of the following three things will occur:
  1. He will become a free agent.
  2. He will undergo salary arbitration.
  3. If he has less than three years of major league service time, he will be automatically signed to a contract for the league minimum.
Major league contracts are guaranteed. If you choose to release a player from his contract, you must immediately pay all of the remaining salary due on the contract, even if it spans multiple years. Players who retire void the remaining portion of their contracts.
This is OOTP's way of mimicking 2 way contracts. During the actual MLB season a player with options who is on the 25 man roster at any time will show on the Salary page as getting the league minimum. If they do not make the team the following year ie don't get to ST then they will show as having minor league contracts.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
This is OOTP's way of mimicking 2 way contracts. During the actual MLB season a player with options who is on the 25 man roster at any time will show on the Salary page as getting the league minimum. If they do not make the team the following year ie don't get to ST then they will show as having minor league contracts.

Thanks -- although doesn't this hold for any player othe 40-man roster, not just the active roster?

And is a player who is on the 40-man roster but in the minors *with a contract that has automatically reverted to a Minor League contract* actually costing me anything?

The game could afford to be a little clearer on these points --
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
Thanks -- although doesn't this hold for any player othe 40-man roster, not just the active roster?

And is a player who is on the 40-man roster but in the minors *with a contract that has automatically reverted to a Minor League contract* actually costing me anything?

The game could afford to be a little clearer on these points --
Not sure. You could look at player expenses sim a week and back calculate the amounts.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Hmmm, re: the bolded. The only way they can't get to spring training is if they're not on the 40-man roster, which ought to mean right there they are on a minor league contract. Right?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote