Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #41
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Understanding that many of you enjoy tournaments, I would have to say the final product turned out to be more of a JOB than entertainment. Someone said a long time ago that the Whales would be the driving force in tournaments, and they were right. Sure, one can spend every waking hour and ultimately take a few tournaments away from the big guys, but a small percentage of players still have the time and resources to control this branch of the game too.

I've started to sell off my lower collection for points to reinvest in my original PT teams, and spend a lot more time with the classic game.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #42
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Understanding that many of you enjoy tournaments, I would have to say the final product turned out to be more of a JOB than entertainment. Someone said a long time ago that the Whales would be the driving force in tournaments, and they were right. Sure, one can spend every waking hour and ultimately take a few tournaments away from the big guys, but a small percentage of players still have the time and resources to control this branch of the game too.

I've started to sell off my lower collection for points to reinvest in my original PT teams, and spend a lot more time with the classic game.

Oddly, my junior FTP teams are (by far) more successful in tournament W/L records.

But they're just in smaller ponds. No one's throwing any valuable cards at us.

If you ran a micro-transaction game, would you? Feeding the whales only makes sense, from the business side.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 AM   #43
El Jeffe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

There is no engagement at all in tournaments. You set a team and next time you log in you see a result. I thought it would be like mini-seasons of Perfect team- set up a team, follow results, see how your players are doing, make adjustments. But it's none of that. I'd rather have far fewer tournament options and be involved in the thing than the current click and forget model.
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #44
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It would definitely be a lot better if I didn't have to activate every single card just to look at their defense or rating splits
I like the idea of the collection screen this way becoming entirely ACTIVE.

Right now, They show the image of each of your cards and you can take action on the ones that are active.

Maybe in the future you can sell any of the cards from that screen and a right-click or something would show you the "back of the card" / ratings etc.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #45
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
I think tournaments - and PT mode in general - would benefit greatly from a host of UI improvements. Such as simply being able to see how your 3 tourney teams are doing (their record, which round they are in) without having to click into each one. Hopefully improvements like these are coming in 21.
Probably are. Tournament mode is just past beta.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #46
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyKarkovice View Post
It's been an alright experience. I do have to enter a lot of tourneys (about 15 I'd say?) to place. Not bad odds. Never in any with more than 32 teams. If I want to ignore my job and family I could accumulate like 4 packs a day which wouldn't be half bad I guess. But yeah that whole ignoring the rest of your life thing. That's me and I might not be a good manager, haven't found a winning combination.

I have a lot of cards so I would love to not have to activate to see ratings. Once you get a good roster that makes semis and finals, saving your lineups and strategy for a type of tournament expedites the process. But getting there has been very time consuming. Really only confident in a 1875cap (public doesn't like those) and a gold historical team.

250pp payout tourneys are not worth it ever. How do those fill? I can quick sell 50 duplicate iron Live cards for a faster 250pp (yes I'm a pack ripper). No payout less than 1000pp or regular pack would probably garner more interest. I really didn't understand why it took two weeks to fill the Tuesday tourney with a great 100 Whitaker payout (besides 128 is A LOT of spots to fill).
Probably because it wasn't highlighted in any way and there is a big long list of tournaments, players missed it.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #47
screamingpalm
Minors (Single A)

I like tournaments, and have done pretty well in them overall- except for the point cap ones- but have to agree that it isn't a very engaging experience. Once my teams are set, it's just a matter of signing up when active and adding occasional new players from packs.

Still a cool new feature, but maybe not as cool as new league formats could be perhaps? It is helping me snag new packs of cards quickly though.

screamingpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #48
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
Oddly, my junior FTP teams are (by far) more successful in tournament W/L records.

But they're just in smaller ponds. No one's throwing any valuable cards at us.

If you ran a micro-transaction game, would you? Feeding the whales only makes sense, from the business side.

I fully understand the need to be successful on the business side - I was just hoping tournaments would have engaged us more than they did.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #49
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jeffe View Post
There is no engagement at all in tournaments. You set a team and next time you log in you see a result. I thought it would be like mini-seasons of Perfect team- set up a team, follow results, see how your players are doing, make adjustments. But it's none of that. I'd rather have far fewer tournament options and be involved in the thing than the current click and forget model.

Good point.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #50
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. And if you actually look at them you have to open them up one by one, download the tournament league file, download every stupid team logo, etc.

There needs to be a way to see how your players performed across all their tournaments.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone said a long time ago that the Whales would be the driving force in tournaments, and they were right.
You mean like this post from six months ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
There will be a meta for these tourneys, and the whale will quickly have the cookie cutter build to win them if the reward is good enough to justify the effort. It is not hard to develop the "best" roster to win a capped tourney, and the price of the key cards will go up relative to the reward.

The bulk of the player base will be mucking around in the tourneys that award one pack or whatever the lowest reward is. The limit of three at a time will ensure that some tourneys will be available to mortals, but the whales will concentrate on the best rewards.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #52
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I fully understand the need to be successful on the business side - I was just hoping tournaments would have engaged us more than they did.
I suppose it would be even less engaging, but less job-like, to have an auto-re-enter button so that you did not have to log in every hour to see if you need to re-enter. Tournaments would fill fast and everyone would win more packs. After a 32-man starts just 70 minutes later there would be 16 automatically entering the next one etc. Once it got rolling, a new 32-man might be starting every 10 minutes or less....

Last edited by bailey; 12-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #53
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Tournaments at this point are similar to challenge mode. Keep playing and eventually you’ll have some packs to open. I do like them, though. A great way for f2p to enlarge their collections.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #54
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jeffe View Post
Yeah, I guess that's a product of short series, even do or dies, the 8-10 minutes between games in many tournaments...

They would be much closer to small seasons, and classic baseball with longer series and time between games but...

There's a large buzzy crowd that like to join many tournaments and move everything along very quickly.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #55
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
A year? You mean a week.
No, I meant a year... As in, after the first several weeks of play, you use the same team week after week (season after season) with a few minor adjustments along the way.

But with tournaments, I can build an iron team, and a bronze team, and silver team, and a Live! team, and a 1625-cap team, 1750-cap team, etc.

Without tournaments 99% of the cards I "own" would just be sitting around gathering dust.

It's also a great equalizer. In league play, in a given season (week), I might have three whales in my division --- with mostly historical perfects --- or I might be up against teams that you wonder how they even got to perfect level in the first place. In tournaments (exception: open, which I don't play), I will generally never get any teams that are much stronger than the team I have put togther.

For example, in league play, my Caspers team is the weakest of my three teams. Many seasons they don't even make the playoffs in perfect league. But this season, there is not a single whale in the NL in their perfect league. Their record was 70-11 at the halfway point. Meanwhile, my Southpaws, who are MUCH stronger than the Caspers, have a very difficult league setup and were only 49-32 at that point.

Last edited by allenciox; 12-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.
allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #56
bphilb
Minors (Single A)

I usually work in tiers. I'll sign up for a few tourneys before I head to work, a few when i get home and a few before I go to bed. It's nice when I log on and have a few extra points or packs which I wouldn't have otherwise received. If I get deep into a bigger tourney it's fun to follow along with the games. I like to watch the replays and it's fun seeing cards in play that I wouldn't use with my normal team. It's much different than season play but is a lot of fun to me. I really look forward to OOTP 21 and working through tournaments with a much more limited card base.

bphilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #57
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Tournaments at this point are similar to challenge mode. Keep playing and eventually you’ll have some packs to open. I do like them, though. A great way for f2p to enlarge their collections.
F2P in the technical sense only. A typical casual F2P player isn't close to winning anything meaningful from tournaments. By this point in the game life cycle there is barely any distinction between whales and an experienced F2P player's roster, or you have hyper-efficient newly started additional teams by experienced users that are way past Joe Blow who doesn't know any better than to incrementally upgrade to a live gold player when he gets 1500 points available.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #58
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Pretty much my thoughts. I don't bother with the big ones full of whales, but it seems like there are enough options for most players to find a niche and add a few packs per week at minimum. Can't complain about that. I just wish my packs would have something good inside once in a while.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #59
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Pretty much my thoughts. I don't bother with the big ones full of whales, but it seems like there are enough options for most players to find a niche and add a few packs per week at minimum. Can't complain about that. I just wish my packs would have something good inside once in a while.
No kidding!

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #60
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You mean like this post from six months ago?

Yep, that's probably the one. 3 points!