Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 04-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
gmo
Hall Of Famer

15 variations of 2019 MLB schedule to vary interleague matchups

^^^See notes at bottom of post for fixes/updates/etc.

The attached zip includes 15 schedules that are variations on the 2019 MLB schedule. Their names have an "x" followed by 2 digits. The x11 is the (slightly tweaked - see note at bottom***) 2019 MLB schedule, and the others involve adjustments done to rotate the interleague matchups year-to-year.

If these 15 schedules are the only schedules in your Schedules OOTP folder, I believe the game will cycle through the 15 of them across 15 years. Standard disclaimer - as always, I fully intend for things to work right, but I cannot guarantee it and depend on the user to implement.

The schedules allow for rotations across the interleague division matchups like this...
  • The files named like "x#1" (e.g., x11, x21, etc) have the 2019 interleague matchups - AL East vs NL West, AL Central vs NL East, AL West vs NL Central
  • The files named like "x#2" (e.g., x12, x22, etc) have interleague matchups - AL East vs NL Central, AL Central vs NL West, AL West vs NL East
  • The files named like "x#3" (e.g., x13, x23, etc) have interleague matchups - AL East vs NL East, AL Central vs NL Central, AL West vs NL West
In those cases the teams in a division play each of the teams in their interleague matchup division in 3 or 4 games.

In the actual 2019 MLB here are 4 additional interleague games though, which are the "rivalry matchups" against teams from the corresponding interleague division:
  • AL East vs NL East : BAL v WAS, BOS v PHI, NYY v NYM, TAM v MIA, TOR v ATL
  • AL Central vs NL Central : CHW v CHC, CLE v CIN, DET v PIT, KC v STL, MIN, MIL
  • AL West vs NL West : HOU v COL, LAA v LAD, OAK v SF, SEA v SD, TEX v ARI

However rather than trying to maintain those rivalry games, those slots rotated around the schedules through divisions just like the full divisional matchups. E.g., the "x12" has these "rivalry" interleague matchups...
  • AL East vs NL West : BAL v SF, BOS v SD, NYY v LAD, TAM v COL, TOR v ARI
  • AL Central vs NL East : CHW v ATL, CLE v MIA, DET v PHI, KC v WAS, MIN v NYM
  • AL West vs NL Central : HOU v CIN, LAA v MIL, OAK v STL, SEA v PIT, TEX v CHC

The "x#3" schedules then have these as the extra interleague "rivalry" alignments - AL East vs NL Central, AL Central vs NL West, AL West vs NL East

The first digit in that section of the schedule name goes 1-5, and five versions involve cycling through how the teams exactly line up. E.g., for the "rivalry" extra interleague games BAL has those extra games against WAS in x11 (again, that is the real*** 2019 schedule), ATL in x21, MIA in x31, NYM in x41, and PHI in x51.

With that rotation across the 15 seasons there is a balance across the interleague matchups. The division matchups also balance. The interdivision games within the subleague do not numerically balance exactly because of the method of the rotation of teams through the schedules.
  • division opponents: 19 games against each for 2019, 285 total for the 15 schedules
  • interdivision opponents: 6-7 games against each for 2019, 90-105 total for the 15 schedules
  • interleague opponents: 3-4 games against each that do play for 2019, 20 total for the 15 schedules

I made an effort to keep the gametimes sensible for the teams as they rotate through the schedule template. To do that I took the distribution of gametimes for each team in the actual 2019 schedule for each day of the week. Then in each variation schedule, when a team had a home game on a day of the week I gave that game a random gametime pulled from that 2019 distribution. E.g., team Z has a 2019 Wednesday distribution for game times of 2 of 12 at 1305, 3 of 12 at 1610, and 7 of 12 at 1935, then there is a 2 in 12 chance of any Wednesday game being at 1305, 3 in 12 chance of 1610, and 7 in 12 chance of 1935.

That gametime tweaking should maintain realism better, though not perfectly. It means that in every schedule CHC should have a relative lot of day home games and that east coast teams should not get night gametimes like a west coast team. But those distributions are for some days as they are because of travel considerations. A team randomly getting a Thursday afternoon gametime may not make much sense one of the variation schedules because the travel situation for the teams is not the same there as in the 2019 schedule that had that gametime to allow the teams to travel that night for games elsewhere the next day.

*** I did adjust the basis "raw" 2019 schedule to move the SEA@OAK Japan 2-game series to have those games no longer separately early and part of other SEA@OAK series during the season.
  • Move Mar20 SEA@OAK game to Thu May23 at 22:07.
  • Move Mar21 SEA@OAK game to Mon Jul15 at 22:07.
A couple more changes were made to satisfy other constraints, particularly not having too long without a team having an offday.
  • Move May30 LAA@SEA to Wed Apr3 at 16:10.
  • Move Apr4 SEA@CHW to same day but at 18:10.

^^^ Version "a" added to address a couple points in post 4 in this thread.
  • Fixed the time zone issue by putting all game times in local time.
  • Moved NYY@BOS on Thu Jul25 to Fri Jun28 to avoid consecutive offdays.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 30team162_2019MLBx.zip (175.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: zip 30team162_2019MLBx_a.zip (167.9 KB, 224 views)

Last edited by gmo; 04-23-2019 at 02:34 AM.
gmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
anthonywvalentine
All Star Reserve

Is this designed for Thursday start?

You mentioned the game should auto rotate these, how does it handle that?
anthonywvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywvalentine View Post
Is this designed for Thursday start?

You mentioned the game should auto rotate these, how does it handle that?
Correct. There are the parameter at the top of the schedule files:
  • start_month="3"
  • start_day="28"
  • start_day_of_week="5"
That translates into, start on the first Thursday (for the game day of week 5 is Thursday - start with Sunday as 1 and count forward) on or after March (month 3) 28th (yup, day 28). All the files have that same parameter set, so they will all obey that rule.

So if you started with the "x11" in OOTP year 2019 that would start the season on Thu Mar28. The next schedule would be "x12". Mar28 in 2020 falls on a Saturday, so the game looks forward from that date to the following Thursday, which is Thu Apr2. For the next schedule "x13" in 2021, it will start on Thu Apr1.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 AM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

There are two errors in this pack that could be cleaned up in a revision:
  1. The start date is wrong; MLB starts on the first Thursday on or after March 27, not March 28. However, the March 28 date is consistent with the in-game start date, as OOTP 20 also has it wrong, so I'm not sure whether this one needs to be fixed.
  2. OOTP 13 and onward use the team's time zone to determine game time. So if a Pacific Time Zone team's home game is set to start at "2205" in the schedule file, it will start at 22:05 Pacific Time, aka 01:05 the next day Eastern Time. That means time zones are being double-counted.
As for individual games that need to be changed to account for real-life circumstances of the 2019 schedule that aren't recreated here (holidays and the like):
  1. Move 4/15 BAL@BOS (Patriot's Day) to 8/15 at night
  2. Move 7/1 KC@TOR (Canada Day) to 6/27 at night
  3. Move 7/25 NYY@BOS to 6/28 at night to avoid consecutive off days (real life London series)
(Also, a home/away flip or league flip of this pack could be interesting to create, because the team-based start times make it impossible to just flip the teams manually. This also matches your old 30-team pack, which had a home/away flip for 30 total schedules.)

Last edited by bwburke94; 06-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the info.

I had not realized the start date thing. I think I was just assuming that Thursday before first Monday in April made sense and was running with. Is there a reference for that? I am not sure yet whether I want to change my rule-of-thumb to that instead and maybe more discussion would sway me one way or another.

The time zone thing shows how long I have been out of the loop and not really playing the game myself. I did not see anything about that in my extremely superficial documentation review. Glad that is there.

I will try address the straightforward things as soon as I can. Some other things I want to give a little thought. So net result is that I am not sure yet when I will put up a revision.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo View Post
I had not realized the start date thing. I think I was just assuming that Thursday before first Monday in April made sense and was running with. Is there a reference for that?
The dates only differ if April 1 falls on a Tuesday (April 7 on a Monday).

This has happened four times in the last 30 years - in 1997, 2003, 2008, and 2014. In all four cases, Opening Day (ignoring the Japan/Australia openers) was the week of Monday, March 31.

The last time Opening Day was the week of Monday, April 7, was 1986.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Mbuffalo98
Bat Boy

Another error I kinda noticed.

The "natural interleague rivals" are kinda messed up.

For example, I'm playing 2020 with Braves, and they are playing a home and away set vs. the Twins when they should be playing those vs. the Red Sox.
Mbuffalo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #8
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbuffalo98 View Post
The "natural interleague rivals" are kinda messed up.

For example, I'm playing 2020 with Braves, and they are playing a home and away set vs. the Twins when they should be playing those vs. the Red Sox.
Not an error. The "natural rival" series have to be rotated in this pack, because otherwise where would the games go if the corresponding divisions naturally play each other? The corresponding schedules have a different interleague structure to the normal schedules.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
Vegas Vic
Minors (Double A)

gmo, thanks for this. I've been using these custom schedules for my MLB setups. I'd like to do the same thing with the 2020 MLB schedule. What methodology did you use to generate the 15 different schedules?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 AM   #10
symp1
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Nice work Gmo!

Personally, I would like a MLB schedule with IL matchups randomly (Not division rotation). I would like a team play 20 games (10H-10A) against five teams of other league.

Do you think it's possible??? If you can do only 1 schedule, I will be happy with that! :-)

Thanks in advance,

symp1
symp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

That changes the total number of interleague series, making it unfeasible.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
gmo, thanks for this. I've been using these custom schedules for my MLB setups. I'd like to do the same thing with the 2020 MLB schedule. What methodology did you use to generate the 15 different schedules?
With tools I have for building schedules I can introduce variation like that. It is basically jumbling the numbers that go into the file to identify teams.

The trick is doing in a way to get the right variations - rotating through the other divisions across the years, but mixing up the other games too. Have the AL West play a different interleague division each year, but not always Texas @ Seattle for those teams first series every year.

I will put it on the list to revisit that. As bwburke94 pointed out there were issues with the "natural" rival matchups not persisting. Makes it tough trying to mix up the interleague but still keep that one particular matchup.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Vegas Vic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Not an error. The "natural rival" series have to be rotated in this pack, because otherwise where would the games go if the corresponding divisions naturally play each other? The corresponding schedules have a different interleague structure to the normal schedules.

This got me to thinking. I did the same thing with the 2018 MLB schedule, and the result is that all 20 interleague games are against one division. So you don't end up with the two floating games. This is because in 2018, the AL East played the NL East, AL Central played the NL Central, and AL West played the NL West.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote