Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 AM   #1
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Attribute and role explanation (Jeff?)

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to add "secondary role" into the player details?
Or is it possible to get a breakdown of attributes fitting roles?
- Playmaker, sniper, ect act ....

I'm pulling my hair out here, because i cannot make a sense of attributes and roles.

Example, when i'm looking for a Playmaker role type player, i would typically look for following stats: Passing, Offensive read, Getting open, Team player

... in this case the player has 16+ in each stat... i would think that he could fill out the playmaking role, but he only gets 3/3 on first line..

I conclude that, if you dont know different players IRL, you just have to hope you make a correct trade ..
RayRayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #2
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Whilst I agree this is needed, in the interim could you not take a quality playmaker such as Crosby (5/5) and compare his stats to the player you’re looking at to see if any attribute(s) stand out that you’ve not considered?
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, I'd like to add a list of the player's best tactical roles to the player screen. Just a matter of getting the time to do it and figuring out how to make it fit.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
Whilst I agree this is needed, in the interim could you not take a quality playmaker such as Crosby (5/5) and compare his stats to the player you’re looking at to see if any attribute(s) stand out that you’ve not considered?
Well, this doesn't help me out a lot, since Crosby has 20+ in those stats i mentioned above so if my guy has 16-17...in those exact same stats.. he should still be some 4/5 or 5/5... not 3/3, i guess.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Yeah, I'd like to add a list of the player's best tactical roles to the player screen. Just a matter of getting the time to do it and figuring out how to make it fit.
Understandable, i see millions of requests on the forum
thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRayDK View Post
Well, this doesn't help me out a lot, since Crosby has 20+ in those stats i mentioned above so if my guy has 16-17...in those exact same stats.. he should still be some 4/5 or 5/5... not 3/3, i guess.
My point was if Crosby had 20 or so in any stat your player didn't then that might contribute to a higher rating as a playmaker—as-in was there a stat you hadn't considered that was applicable, this might help you spot it.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
My point was if Crosby had 20 or so in any stat your player didn't then that might contribute to a higher rating as a playmaker—as-in was there a stat you hadn't considered that was applicable, this might help you spot it.
That's just like playing lottery.

How do you find a playmaker? or a Sniper? or a Power forward?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

In the manual, the attributes are defined as to what they influence.

A playmaker is going to have good skills at:
Offensive Read
Passing
Team Player

Sniper
Getting Open
Offensive Read
Shooting Accuracy
Shooting Range

Power Forward
Aggression (but not too high)
Balance
Bravery
Stength
Puck Handling

Last edited by Torgonius; 10-22-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgonius View Post
In the manual, the attributes are defined as to what they influence.

A playmaker is going to have good skills at:
Offensive Read
Passing
Team Player

Sniper
Getting Open
Offensive Read
Shooting Accuracy
Shooting Range

Power Forward
Aggression (but not too high)
Balance
Bravery
Stength
Puck Handling
Thanks for the feedback buddy... Do you by any chance have a template of all roles and key-attributes? I think this would be VERY valuable for a lot of people

You pinpoint my example from Above... and still i dont understand this...
Player X in my save, has 17 in all three Playmaker key stats, but still only pulls a 3/3 on first line as playmaker?
- I guess because he's best secondary role is maybe "Sniper" but, it's not displayed anywhere...I can only see he's and Offensive Forward.

Am i totally retarded here or what???

Last edited by RayRayDK; 10-23-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #10
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

There really isn't a cut and dried rule or magic formula. If there is, then FHM4 just becomes Spreadsheet Hockey Manager(tm).

I'm just speaking from my 30+ years of hockey playing, coaching and watching experience about the skills that best translate to roles. When I played, my coach generously described my skating as 'mobility issues', Even though I had a decent shot, I was never going to be any type of goal scorer because I wouldn't be able to get myself in a good position to shoot very often.

You can't discount the basic stats, like skating, stickhandling and balance for any of the roles, except maybe for a pure enforcer.

Check the scouting reports out for your players, too. You may find interesting nuggets in there about roles for which they'd be best suited.

And sometimes, even in real life, things just don't fit the way everyone thinks they should. The Isles drafted Bertuzzi to be a power forward. They had him work with one of the greatest power forwards of all times, Clark Gilles, and still he just didn't fit that role well until much later in his career.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgonius View Post
There really isn't a cut and dried rule or magic formula. If there is, then FHM4 just becomes Spreadsheet Hockey Manager(tm).

I'm just speaking from my 30+ years of hockey playing, coaching and watching experience about the skills that best translate to roles. When I played, my coach generously described my skating as 'mobility issues', Even though I had a decent shot, I was never going to be any type of goal scorer because I wouldn't be able to get myself in a good position to shoot very often.

You can't discount the basic stats, like skating, stickhandling and balance for any of the roles, except maybe for a pure enforcer.

Check the scouting reports out for your players, too. You may find interesting nuggets in there about roles for which they'd be best suited.

And sometimes, even in real life, things just don't fit the way everyone thinks they should. The Isles drafted Bertuzzi to be a power forward. They had him work with one of the greatest power forwards of all times, Clark Gilles, and still he just didn't fit that role well until much later in his career.
Well, im asking just due too only two years of playing and gaming experience - But unless a person sits with your knowledge and understanding of the game IRL, i guess my trades will just be a lottery if player fits to position and role or not, because based on the stats - i dont get the understanding of it.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRayDK View Post
Well, im asking just due too only two years of playing and gaming experience - But unless a person sits with your knowledge and understanding of the game IRL, i guess my trades will just be a lottery if player fits to position and role or not, because based on the stats - i dont get the understanding of it.
Sweet lord Yes! I finally found a way around this... Whilst reading the manual i found its possible to "edit" players secondary role - so in the "edit" screen, i found a players current best role!!!