Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Travg11
Bat Boy

OMG...So mad and frustrated

So I just finished my first season with my beloved St. Louis Cardinals. I hand play each of my games so very very time consuming.

Just finished a magical first season where:
- We trade for Stroman who went 18-8
- jack flaherty got hot and finished 3rd in the cy young voting
- Matt Carpenter finished 5th in mvp voting with 43 homers and 100 rbi
- we won the division on the last day of regular season
- we won the World Series in 7 games over the Indians

I had just entered the off season where my guys won 2 gold gloves, and I was named manager of the year. We also just landed the prize FA who had come over from japan.

And then......

When I check the hall of fame page.... the FREAKING GAME CRASHES!!!!!!

All those hours and that build is gone. I’d take a full refund at this point not even sure I even want to turn the thing on agaib
Travg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I know this won't make you feel better. But crashes are so rare in this game, it's a shame that you lost yours. Didn't you save the game at any point during this season. You should be able to return.

The key thing I wanted to write after more than a decade of playing OOTP. It is so addictive when you can control all of this decisions and options and then build a winner like you did. It's a great feeling.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
This is why you constantly save and backup. I've had some leagues lost due to that.
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

OH MAN, I feel your pain! It takes a few moments, but I am now backing up after every single game. Like you, I play out every game. Too much invested in it to take a chance any longer. Crashes are rare, but bugs are not so rare, and so that's my new regime.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

I have never backed up. Simply saving has always been sufficient for me. During a rare crash, I'm always able to resume from the last save.

Go into your settings, and set auto-save to at least weekly.
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Your frustration is so fully understandable and justified.

Having said that, I agree with rasnell that crashes are rare.
But as sdw1000 indicates, one of the first and most important lessons any OOTP gamer learns is, backup, backup, backup.

Like you I play out every single game for my team. And during the season I have the game set up so that it saves each and every day. Still, on rare occasions, I will have a crash in game and lose that particular game. But never more than that.
I also backup my progress every time I finish a session of playing the game.

I hope you will stick with the game and experience minimal or no crashes in the future. But I also hope that this frustrating experience will help you to remember to save and backup regularly in the future.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I back up my game at least 3 times a season usually once at opening day then all star game then after the World Series. As your saves get bigger you will notice that it takes a bit longer. Have fun

additional note I have had the game crash several times but ever since I started doing my saves the game crashed once since and that was with older versions of OOTP. My only issue these days is RAM leakage as they call it and the game now saves it then closes instead of crashing and reverting to last save which I like a lot

Last edited by r0nster; 06-24-2019 at 07:06 PM.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I feel your pain.. I had my first crash since maybe OOTP 18. This was a league imported from OOTP 19 with the Cardinals as well.

I played for a couple of hours making some trades and what not, then it crashed playing a game and when I restarted, all was lost.

I typically save after transactions but I was zoned out tonight I guess.

I deleted the save and I'm going to take about a week break and start over with another team and a live start.

Ahhhh.. the memories!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I feel your pain.. I had my first crash since maybe OOTP 18. This was a league imported from OOTP 19 with the Cardinals as well.

I played for a couple of hours making some trades and what not, then it crashed playing a game and when I restarted, all was lost.

I typically save after transactions but I was zoned out tonight I guess.

I deleted the save and I'm going to take about a week break and start over with another team and a live start.

Ahhhh.. the memories!
I here ya about the zoned-out part.

It may not help, except for myself by telling folks this, but I have had 3 MLB standard starts this year with the Orioles, where I went into the wee-hours, or was pretty tired at some point, and completely messed-up the game. I play-out all of my games, and you need to be so careful with the Orioles, as they can quickly start going even more sideways than in real-life this year (I have a couple self-imposed metrics / benchmarks for this first season as well).

Anyway, each time I messed-up my save by being completely zoned-out from being tired, I deleted the save and started over. Hours and hours of time "lost."

However, with the new patch, we now have a pretty well updated draft class, and some pretty cool graphic fixes as well, so perhaps it was worth the wait. I will call it my training.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

By the way, as to the back-ups, it doesn't help now with what was lost, but for your next save, if backing-up every week is not something you are looking to do, I would suggest just picking a few milestones during the season (Opening Day, the Draft, The All Star Break, Start of the Play-offs, the beginning of the off-season) and also when something amazing happens (like if you pitcher records a no-hitter), to back the game-up. That is what I tend to do, as it helps me remember, and also gives me some confidence that I can at least go back one point in time that makes sense or that I find really significant.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Build .47 keeps crashing on me. I save frequently, but that's not the point. It is beyond frustrating. I expect software to be stable.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
I here ya about the zoned-out part.

It may not help, except for myself by telling folks this, but I have had 3 MLB standard starts this year with the Orioles, where I went into the wee-hours, or was pretty tired at some point, and completely messed-up the game. I play-out all of my games, and you need to be so careful with the Orioles, as they can quickly start going even more sideways than in real-life this year (I have a couple self-imposed metrics / benchmarks for this first season as well).

Anyway, each time I messed-up my save by being completely zoned-out from being tired, I deleted the save and started over. Hours and hours of time "lost."

However, with the new patch, we now have a pretty well updated draft class, and some pretty cool graphic fixes as well, so perhaps it was worth the wait. I will call it my training.
Yeah.. I typically save too after an hour or so.

I might try the Orioles next although playing with a team like San Diego who has never won a World Series has me thinking.

I need to clear my head.. sucks I was in year 2029. Live and learn!

Maybe someday OOTP will have active cloud saves like Madden CFM has so it's constantly saving. My power went off during a Madden CFM game and when it was restored, I picked up right were I left off.

Last edited by MizzouRah; 06-25-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #13
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Try restoring using this link! http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...66&postcount=8

starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Noticed that it's not so much crashing as closing itself. The last few times, I noticed the X in the upper right corner of the window being highlighted right before it shut down, always after clicking on "finish today."
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Already started a new career with the Padres... will save more often this time.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Why didn't you have auto save on at the very least?

Its a computer game they all crash at some point.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
dickysty
Major Leagues

I feel you pain!

I just had a crash trying to replay a 20 inning battle were there was records broken and tons of stuff to look at. I was pretty upset.

I've gone back to saving the game after every game day played and backup more often.
It's our own fault most of the time.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

If you restore from the autosave it should restore at least some of the lost progress, if not all, depending on how often you have the game set to autosave.

You should be able to restore from the autosave function. Instructions on doing that follow:

To restore from the automatic backup, do the following:

1) Open the game and on the start screen, click on Settings (or Preferences in OOTP 11-14).

2) Now click on the tab "Troubleshooting".

3) Click "Open folder containing saved games".

4) Now open up the league folder you're wanting to restore.

5) Then select all of the .dat files in the folder and back them up (just in case) by copying them to a temporary folder or creating a zipped file with them

6) Open the folder called "auto-save".

7) In there, select all of the ".dat" files and copy them to the league folder (the parent of the current folder) overwriting all of the ".dat" files in the league folder.

8) Open OOTP and load the save.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #19
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there are certain sequences/timing of screens that can cause a crash.

if you notice a crash occurring following the same behaviour, then keep a close eye on it. if it always happens, make a bug report with the steps to recreate it.

funky stuff happens that can't be recreated, but may be more likely when you do certain things in a certain order. try to change behaviour if that might be the case. e.g. i don't immediately click back if i accidentally change screens in the historical stats / records area. i try to wait a second before a second link followed etc. if i know where it is on the screen, my mouse is sometimes there before it even shows up to click... gotta rein it in a bit.

click save more often. after any crash, you can simply move the contents of the 'auto-save' directory. or, the game will most often ask to do so for you when you try to re-load.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote