Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Ball Four
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When to get players to sign Contract Extensions ?

Hi there ,been playing 19 a while and always seem to have a problem getting guys to sign extensions.

Say I drafted a player,he became good enough for the MLB,so I promoted him.
I know you have 6 years of control before he becomes a FA.

The first 3 years he`s on MLB minimum,then the last 3 he`s on arbitration contract.

When is it the best time to get him to sign a multi year extension ?

I approached him in his 1st year of arbitration and he just wants a 1 year contract for $2.75 Million,nothing else.

Does this mean if he signs this ,next year his year 5 arbitration contract may be $4.5 Million if he performs well ?

Hope this makes some kind of sense,

Thank You.
Ball Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Four View Post
Hi there ,been playing 19 a while and always seem to have a problem getting guys to sign extensions.

Say I drafted a player,he became good enough for the MLB,so I promoted him.
I know you have 6 years of control before he becomes a FA.

The first 3 years he`s on MLB minimum,then the last 3 he`s on arbitration contract.

When is it the best time to get him to sign a multi year extension ?

I approached him in his 1st year of arbitration and he just wants a 1 year contract for $2.75 Million,nothing else.

Does this mean if he signs this ,next year his year 5 arbitration contract may be $4.5 Million if he performs well ?

Hope this makes some kind of sense,

Thank You.

He SAYS he wants a one-year deal, but that's not accurate. He WILL accept a longer-term deal in 90% of cases based on their loyalty and greed ratings. The key is giving them MORE than the arbitration average annual value for each season they would have arbitration. Then also sign them for their first few years of free agency, but do so for roughly what they got in arbitration plus maybe 10% raise per year. The reasoning behind this method is to get a "hometown discount" on an all-star caliber player in their FA years by overpaying them slightly during arb years. That's what I do and I get who I want maybe 80-90% of the time.

Example, in my CHW franchise I signed Eloy Jimenez in his first year for a 10 year contract. I paid him 2 mil per year during his minimum years, and 5 mil per for his arbitration years. By doing this I got the remaining four free agent years at $7 million per, which I calculated to be almost $9 million below what comparable players were making on the open market at his projected FA age.

I hope that helps. So in short it's not so much about the when, but the how much are you willing to overpay at the beginning to get a discount later.

Last edited by Findest2001; 04-30-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Ball Four
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
He SAYS he wants a one-year deal, but that's not accurate. He WILL accept a longer-term deal in 90% of cases based on their loyalty and greed ratings. The key is giving them MORE than the arbitration average annual value for each season they would have arbitration. Then also sign them for their first few years of free agency, but do so for roughly what they got in arbitration plus maybe 10% raise per year. The reasoning behind this method is to get a "hometown discount" on an all-star caliber player in their FA years by overpaying them slightly during arb years. That's what I do and I get who I want maybe 80-90% of the time.

Example, in my CHW franchise I signed Eloy Jimenez in his first year for a 10 year contract. I paid him 2 mil per year during his minimum years, and 5 mil per for his arbitration years. By doing this I got the remaining four free agent years at $7 million per, which I calculated to be almost $9 million below what comparable players were making on the open market at his projected FA age.

I hope that helps. So in short it's not so much about the when, but the how much are you willing to overpay at the beginning to get a discount later.
Findest2001 ,thanks very much for your quick reply,I will give it a go.
Ball Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Four View Post
Findest2001 ,thanks very much for your quick reply,I will give it a go.

You are most welcome. I'm here to help. And contracts negotiations are my specialty so I was eager to respond!
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #5
yankeefan1024
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

this is EXTREMELY helpful.

thank you. i'm going to put this to the test as soon as my next league year begins

Last edited by yankeefan1024; 12-08-2020 at 10:07 AM.
yankeefan1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
yankeefan1024
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
You are most welcome. I'm here to help. And contracts negotiations are my specialty so I was eager to respond!
any other tips for contract negotiations? not necessarily with young player extensions, but re-signing my own impending free agents, and sign open market free agents?

seems like if i don't just outright meet their demands right away, then up their ask significantly, then sign with other teams for far less money
yankeefan1024 is offline   Reply With Quote