Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

has anyone successful transitioned someone to catcher who did not have ability already?

I've heard it can be done, but i've never tried it myself. Can anyone confirm? It does happen it real life - Wilson Contrereas comes to mind
sabrtoothtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

It can be done if they have the catcher ability but just not experience, but it takes a loooonnnnnggggggg time.

Plan on at least 2-3 seasons before you start seeing results.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
It can be done if they have the catcher ability but just not experience, but it takes a loooonnnnnggggggg time.

Plan on at least 2-3 seasons before you start seeing results.
without ability it won't occur? so essentially they already need to have ratings there to even have a chance?
Old 03-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
without ability it won't occur? so essentially they already need to have ratings there to even have a chance?
Yeah, exactly.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
skywalkr2
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Yeah, exactly.
I guess that's a problem. How many players have been transitioned to catcher IRL? Answer: a lot.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

I was thinking you could move a 20 arm/20 ability guy who might have say a 70 arm there in the low-minors and they might find something.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
I guess that's a problem. How many players have been transitioned to catcher IRL? Answer: a lot.
Regardless of that, I think they have it right. I personally wouldn’t want it to be easy to “manufacture” catchers. In real MLB, a catcher is a very difficult position to find offensive ability at. OOTP should continue to mirror that.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
skywalkr2
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokeshow View Post
Regardless of that, I think they have it right. I personally wouldn’t want it to be easy to “manufacture” catchers. In real MLB, a catcher is a very difficult position to find offensive ability at. OOTP should continue to mirror that.
Difference between difficult and impossible.
skywalkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
Difference between difficult and impossible.
The vast majority of high end catchers come from the draft or an international signing. That is where I like the opportunity of getting a high end or franchise catcher. That feels a lot more organic to me.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Geoff Rey
Bat Boy

When a starting pitcher loses his spot inthe rotation, does he have to "learn": to be a long reliever or can I just edit his position to RP?
Geoff Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Not sure what the OP means. I have transitioned guys who didn't have a specific rating at catcher but did have the raw skills needed to play the position. I'll rarely find a guy floating in my minors playing another position who could actually play catcher. It does however take about two seasons or more to go from no rating at catcher to a rating of one. Once there it goes up a little faster it seems but don't expect to turn that 30 year old utility player into a 3rd string catcher in one spring training.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #12
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Rey View Post
When a starting pitcher loses his spot inthe rotation, does he have to "learn": to be a long reliever or can I just edit his position to RP?
I think they just move to the bullpen. In my test save I signed Keuchel to the Brewers and the AI moved Anderson to a long reliever role and emergency SP secondary role.

But this brings up a good point, pitchers should be PITCHERS, without a specific "position." Instead, they just have experience ratings as either a starter or reliever role. This would also make stamina universal, which IMO it should be. IRL pitchers are starters because thats how they are used, not because thats their "position." Also, IMO closer should not be a separate role to reliever.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
I think they just move to the bullpen. In my test save I signed Keuchel to the Brewers and the AI moved Anderson to a long reliever role and emergency SP secondary role.

But this brings up a good point, pitchers should be PITCHERS, without a specific "position." Instead, they just have experience ratings as either a starter or reliever role. This would also make stamina universal, which IMO it should be. IRL pitchers are starters because thats how they are used, not because thats their "position." Also, IMO closer should not be a separate role to reliever.
My understanding is that "pitcher" is a single "position" in OOTP. "Starter", "reliever" and "closer" are "roles" and are of mostly cosmetic significance.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote