Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

How are numbers decided?

I am interested to hear from those who put the cards together.

Can you share the formulas that you use?
BidPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I’m interested in this too. I was pretty excited to get the Brady Anderson diamond card only to find out that the ratings in no way would produce the year he had in 1996. Instead of being basically a .300 hitter he had 58 contact. Instead of 50 homers he got 81 power. And his fielding and running ratings were way low too. For a guy that stole a lot of bases throughout his career he was rated in a way he can’t steal many at all. Dude could run, steroids or not, and they made him slow.

There’s other examples. Just curious how the ratings are derived at in some cases.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I would assume this is proprietary information and wouldn't be released but they could always surprise us I guess.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

The ratings are not designed to recreate a player's statistical performance. They are designed to recreate their relative performance to other players in the league. This is why Brady Anderson will never have great batting averages, as well as why many deadball era hitters can hit far more home runs than they ever did in real life.

However, the approach to ratings is extremely inconsistent, as error ratings for players are set so that the statistical results in game will approximate their real life fielding percentages. This is why some elite defenders of yesteryear are underwhelming or even unplayable in the field.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

@Dogberry99 - that seems (no disrespect intended) silly. APBA and Strat-o-Matic at least get the stats close(closer) to a season's worth and that is based on rolling dice and allow some consistency in the field as well.

I had a Willie Mays cards in Perfect Team and it was awful.

I brought up this discussion to help me decide if I want to spend more money on OOTP 20. Based on your post I don't think I want to now.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

current players use the ZiPS projection system. For historical players they use the stats and adjust for league averages at the time. It really does make sense for the most part. Consider Babe Ruth vs. Barry Bonds. Bonds hit more homers so his power rating would be higher if the ratings weren't adjusted for league averages. But in Bonds era everyone was hitting dingers like crazy. In Ruth's era he would lead the league in HR by ridiculous margins, like double or triple the second place guy. So it seems fair (and this is coming from a Giants fan) that Ruth does in fact have a higher POWER rating than Barry.

There are some exceptions, the error rating being the most glaring, but for the most part the system makes sense.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BidPro View Post
@Dogberry99 - that seems (no disrespect intended) silly. APBA and Strat-o-Matic at least get the stats close(closer) to a season's worth and that is based on rolling dice and allow some consistency in the field as well.

I had a Willie Mays cards in Perfect Team and it was awful.

Put a Willie Mays card in the same environment (i.e. every opponent is an all-star) using APBA or Strat and compare, or use Willie Mays in regular OOTP with recalc on and compare. You are comparing apples to oranges by looking at PT in comparison to games that are simulating actual season rosters (as opposed to all-star rosters).
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
BidPro
Minors (Single A)

Willie Mays would hit .450 with 75 HRs every year. Most of the pitchers in today's MLB would be AA at best.