Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #81
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
oh you are the one with the high MOV pitching staff right? I think this league tilts more towards contact than power so that could be why they are struggling.
It seems like those pitchers would still be good against contact though.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #82
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Mid-day standings... what a great league this is. There are no easy teams and unfortunately someone loses in every game. So some teams have bad records, but they are not bad teams.

Attachment 606546
Nice! I think this is what you were shooting for from the start.

Great idea and thanks for putting this together!

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #83
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
It seems like those pitchers would still be good against contact though.
my 36 runs in a 3 game series would beg to differ...
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #84
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max venerabel View Post
Yeah -- thats me. Worked OK last year, but so far not so good this season. We nearly doubled the HR production of our opposition last year, but the defense has been surprisingly poor relative to the rest of the league, which is not helping the pitching.
that's kind of the danger of prioritizing MOV over STU/CON in my opinion. Limiting homers is great of course, but with a worse strikeout/walk ratio you can get burnt more easily by strings of base hits. So you can have good years & bad years just due to swings in babip. Defense is only a part of the babip equation...there is also a huge amount of straight up luck.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #85
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
that's kind of the danger of prioritizing MOV over STU/CON in my opinion. Limiting homers is great of course, but with a worse strikeout/walk ratio you can get burnt more easily by strings of base hits. So you can have good years & bad years just due to swings in babip. Defense is only a part of the babip equation...there is also a huge amount of straight up luck.
So you are saying that the magic golden formula for buying starting pitchers is wrong????? Oh my, some people would be upset by that.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #86
daves
Hall Of Famer

Wow 33-5 pounding. I was losing 5-2 after 6 innings then I scored 31 unanswered runs. Two gold achievement rewards worth 8,000 PP.

Funny thing, I am not sure it was an achievement for me as much as a real bad day for the other team. 24 walks almost seemed like a glitch.
Attached Images

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #87
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
So you are saying that the magic golden formula for buying starting pitchers is wrong????? Oh my, some people would be upset by that.
hah, no it's probably a very good guide for general purposes...I just think that our league is pretty contact heavy, so HR suppression just isn't quite as good here. I definitely see those guys get chewed up in my park pretty often, and there are quite a few similar parks in this league (high modifiers for AVG/GAP and low for HR).

Actually I just checked and the average contact rating in our league is a full 20 points higher than the average power rating (55 for POW vs 75 for CON).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #88
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I think it's obvious that everyone should get rid of those high MOV pitchers. Maybe then I could bring my power hitters back from the reserve roster.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #89
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think it's obvious that everyone should get rid of those high MOV pitchers. Maybe then I could bring my power hitters back from the reserve roster.
thank you for saying it.....High MOV pitchers became important because of all the teams with power hitters. Once deployed, most of the power hitters became irrelevant.

However now that high contact is king, getting a SP with high K rate can take care of guys like Cobb/Seymour who get lots of strikeouts against elite strikeout pitchers.

Balance may actually be the best solution at this point in our league (Brown/Chandler/Greinke) especially if you don't have the time to adjust for every team.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:33 AM   #90
Medici
Minors (Triple A)

Hey League! Breakers checking in late again. I had a good friend return from overseas unexpectedly and we've spent the last several days catching up and while making a dent in the available beer supply in Southern California. Back to fully engaged in our awesome league!
Excited that we have the first ever fully compliant list of teams. Thanks to Orcin for envisioning and executing the groundwork, and for all the teams that stuck through it! This is truly a special league and I am excited to compete with you all. Best of luck everyone!
Medici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #91
Medici
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzblazin View Post
Looks like Orcins Pep talk worked haha
Carew, Kaline, and newcomer Duke Snider appeared to receive the message fully!
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 AM   #92
Medici
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Sometimes you just have to give those boys a kick in the butt or make them ride the pines for a while. "Go sit over there and think about what you have done, Vern. I will call you if we need you."
I think that is the secret to Zorro's success. No-nonsense "Come-to-Jesus" discussions and actions with his team. I mean, he benches the Babe without batting an eye if he's struggling. His record stands alone for a reason though...
Old 02-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #93
Medici
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
My Saint Paul Saints, who took up residence in the cellar yesterday are putting up more of a fight today.
I still have nightmares about your Satchel Paige catching absolute fire and dominating everyone (myself included) in the playoffs a few weeks ago. I wish everyone on your team luck this year, except that cursed card ;-)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 AM   #94
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Wow 33-5 pounding. I was losing 5-2 after 6 innings then I scored 31 unanswered runs. Two gold achievement rewards worth 8,000 PP.

Funny thing, I am not sure it was an achievement for me as much as a real bad day for the other team. 24 walks almost seemed like a glitch.

Somebody’s ERA is now the infinity sign....jeez
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #95
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post

8000 PP is a nice treat.

Looks like SP Mungo was at 80% at start of game and went for his usual 4-5 innings and the entire relief core (only 6 of them total) were probably exhausted from prior games.

With everyone exhausted the bullpen threw 200+ pitches and had to rely
on two batters to fill in.
I am not sure if there is a way to see the stamina of prior games but this is probably one of the most extreme examples I have seen.

Strangely, all bullpen pitchers were used again the next day but they all performed perfectly. Fortunately, the game after, one of the SPs went for 9 innings and helped with bullpen recovery.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #96
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medici View Post
Hey League! Breakers checking in late again. I had a good friend return from overseas unexpectedly and we've spent the last several days catching up and while making a dent in the available beer supply in Southern California. Back to fully engaged in our awesome league!
You have our permission to go on another fun drinking trip and leave the Breakers on cruise control. It felt like they went easy on us the last few days. I fear more tough battles in the future.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #97
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
I think that is the secret to Zorro's success. No-nonsense "Come-to-Jesus" discussions and actions with his team. I mean, he benches the Babe without batting an eye if he's struggling. His record stands alone for a reason though...
I think he moved on from the Babe. It will be fun to see what Zorro has planned for his PPs. He is not far away from getting a Perfect Pedro if he sells the card.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #98
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post

Balance may actually be the best solution at this point in our league (Brown/Chandler/Greinke)...
Yep, this is the way to go if you can swing it.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #99
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
I still have nightmares about your Satchel Paige catching absolute fire and dominating everyone (myself included) in the playoffs a few weeks ago. I wish everyone on your team luck this year, except that cursed card ;-)

That was crazy wasn't it. Dominated 4 games against REALLY good teams.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #100
Medici
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I think he moved on from the Babe. It will be fun to see what Zorro has planned for his PPs. He is not far away from getting a Perfect Pedro if he sells the card.
Wow, you're right! No more Babe on the Zorro's...

I wonder what the PT19 market will look like in say 6 months from now with presumably most folks playing 20...