Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
NeilUK02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Can Someone Help A UK Fan With Transaction Rules

Hi All

I am from the UK and have been watching Baseball for a long time now. UK TV started showing live games twice a week at first in 1997 and now we get about 12 games a week or more via ESPN (UK) via BT.

I actually started following the game in 1988 when my sister moved to Toronto so I do know a lot about the tactics etc on the field.

However I get totally lost over the transaction rules, I am playing a historical game and Dave Steib is on the DL but now fit. However I cannot take him off the DL and put him back on the active roster without taking someone else off the roster. When I try that I get a message saying the player coming off the active roster will have to clear waivers before he can be demoted? How do I get Steib back on my active roster?

Totally lost
NeilUK02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
BleedBlue
Minors (Single A)

This happens when the player you're trying to demote is out of options. Players have 3 option years where they can get sent to the minors and recalled as many times as the team wishes. When the 3 years are used they can't be sent to the minors without clearing waivers. If he's at all valuable, more likely than not some other team will claim him on waivers and you'll lose him. You can take that risk if he's someone you can live without or you can find another player with options left and demote him instead.

Last edited by BleedBlue; 02-17-2019 at 08:40 PM.
BleedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
NeilUK02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks the reply, the issue I have is that no one on my active roster has any options left. Luckily there are one or two I can easily do without.

Thanks for the helpful reply
Old 02-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilUK02 View Post
Thanks the reply, the issue I have is that no one on my active roster has any options left. Luckily there are one or two I can easily do without.

Thanks for the helpful reply

In that case, you can get a player off of your active roster by right-clicking them and selecting 'waive and designate for assignment'. That puts them on waivers, where they have to stay for three days and are at risk of being claimed for 3 days, as well as the designated for assignment list, where they can stay in limbo for up to 10 days (by default at least). Once they clear waivers, you can send the player to the minors even though they don't have an option left, unless they're old enough to refuse a minor league demotion at which point they might (if a player can do so, they will have a "^" next to their name in the transactions screen). The waivers and designated for assignment sections are dropdown options in the transactions screen, like different minor league teams and your DL.

So, like BleedBlue said, make sure it's someone that would be unlikely to attract attention from other teams and/or you would be willing to lose for nothing if another team does claim them. Also, don't forget to remove the player from waivers when their mandatory 3 day period is up and you move them from being designated for assignment to the minors. There is no limit to how long they can stay on waivers, so if they get a talent bump or some team needs them all of a sudden they can claim the player after they cleared waivers if you leave them on (I'm actually not 100% sure about that, but I always remove the players just to be safe).

Last edited by damientheomen3; 02-17-2019 at 10:08 PM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

if the player is valuable you could waive the guy and hope he clears or try to shop a player around in hopes you can trade for another player with better value and has MILB contract. Either way would clear room. I tend to trade them away than waive them. Everyone handles same situation differently so the choice is entirely up to you
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #6
TomVeal
All Star Starter

For your entire active roster to be out of option years is highly unusual. I'd be surprised if it has ever happened to any real life Major League team.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Let me also add that nobody fully understands the transaction rules, except perhaps one guy in each team's front office who spends all of his time thinking about nothing else.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Let me also add that nobody fully understands the transaction rules, except perhaps one guy in each team's front office who spends all of his time thinking about nothing else.
The 2018 edition of the Major League Rules can be found online (I downloaded a copy of them myself), and if one reads them enough one can get a pretty good understanding of them. The main thing is that they've undergone a fair bit of change as a result of the last couple of CBAs.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i think the point is that no one studies this stuff for fun. if we got a couple baseball execs that work on this stuff all the time, they'd be an exception.

even the jargon would require some googling to interpret properly. also, a good understanding of relating laws would be required too. otherwise it's a guess and common sense.. which is not always the case in life.

a contract, or line in that contract, that is unlawful or unconstitutional is not obligatory. you can cross it out and ignore it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i think the point is that no one studies this stuff for fun.
For fun? Probably not. But for the detail-oriented, it can be interesting to see the nuts and bolts of how the system works, and how that system has changed over time.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
NeilUK02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hi All

Another snag has cropped up, playing a normal new game, I got to the end of season 1 (2018) and I have several players on my active roster who were September callups, I tried to move them back to the minor leagues but a pop up appears saying the player has to be on the active roster all season! Is there a warning for this before I promote them? How do I know that this would be an issue, they just aren't ready for the main roster yet
Old 03-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #12
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hi All

Another snag has cropped up, playing a normal new game, I got to the end of season 1 (2018) and I have several players on my active roster who were September callups, I tried to move them back to the minor leagues but a pop up appears saying the player has to be on the active roster all season! Is there a warning for this before I promote them? How do I know that this would be an issue, they just aren't ready for the main roster yet

The only time I've ever seen that pop-up is 2 scenarios:
1- They are a Rule-5 draft pick which means they have to remain on the active roster all season.

or
2-It's a player signed who has a guarantee in their contract such as "Starting lineup"
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
The only time I've ever seen that pop-up is 2 scenarios:
1- They are a Rule-5 draft pick which means they have to remain on the active roster all season.

or
2-It's a player signed who has a guarantee in their contract such as "Starting lineup"
As far as I know, for number 2, isn't that just a promised role? I feel like that wouldn't be restrictive to the point of not allowing a demotion, unless there's a feature I'm forgetting/not aware of.

The issue could potentially be playoff-roster related. If you've gotten to the point of a playoff series beginning, you can't make roster moves until the round concludes. Although I believe the game would say that specifically, so that probably isn't your issue. If it's not a Rule 5 issue, I'm not sure what else could be at play here.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
NeilUK02
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hi all

It was the Rule 5 picks, thanks everyone, I now skip this altogether unless there is a player I feel can contribute straight away.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Hi all

It was the Rule 5 picks, thanks everyone, I now skip this altogether unless there is a player I feel can contribute straight away.
Depends on how valuable they are in any particular year. You can always stash a strong young bat on your bench for a full season. Then the next year either trade for a prospect or send him AAA.

Same thing if there is any decent SP pitchers in the Rule 5. Often you turn him into a long reliever for 1 year. Then next year either send down or trade.

Again these have to be highly touted prospects or someone young enough. There might be a 19 year old who is rule 5 eligible sometimes it worth stashing him on the bench the entire year if you feel like in 2 years he is going to be a stud.

OR another thing I do with the Rule 5 is if I am rebuilding and some open slots on my 40 man. I will rule 5 draft the best of the bunch. Then the last day of spring training look around the league to see who just got injured for 14 months and needs some players. Then I'll trade the rule 5 guys to those teams and grab a prospect.

Worst case is if you cant trade them or use them in regular season you send them back to their original team and eat 540k in salary. Well worth the risk.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote