Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #61
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
Johnny Pesky.... trains up fast at 2B... 7 straight great glove awards for my pack-only team (and has a solid bat, depending on your level... won the batting title a couple years ago for me in silver league)
Pesky still plays well in perfect leagues.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #62
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
2b seems to be a tough position to find good defense at/
Ozzie Smith trained up to a 108 rated second baseman.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #63
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Pesky still plays well in perfect leagues.

good to know... been severly tempted to bend my pre-ww2 team roster rule and bring him aboard (his 1946 card is 1 year over my cutoff date), as my defense is typically sieve-like and he's a solid and affordable option...

the little voice in my head keeps saying "but his career started in '42... technically he qualifies"
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #64
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Not if you're open to training a SS there.
For the training, do you just put the guy as your backup at the position you want to train them for for a few seasons?
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #65
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
For the training, do you just put the guy as your backup at the position you want to train them for for a few seasons?
Put him in the lineup to play and gain experience. Use a defensive sub as needed.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #66
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You want them to play as much as possible. For Ozzie at 2B I had him play every game when he was not tired and it still took him one full season plus a chunk of a second season to raise his position rating to 108.

After one full season he was around a 93 or so.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #67
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Oh and going back to my team. Here are their ratings for the positions I have them at

C - Bob Boone - 120
1B - Keith Hernandez - 79
2B - Ozzie Smith - 108
SS - Luis Aparicio - 110
3B - Buddy Bell - 91
LF - Ichiro Suzuki - 102
CF - Mike Trout - 85
RF - Kevin McReynolds - 117

After two months I have a ZR of +34.7. The next closest team is at +14.6
Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #68
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Is Trout the best center fielder for fielding? I thought Maddox was better and... well...
Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #69
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Is Trout the best center fielder for fielding? I thought Maddox was better and... well...
Best? No.

He was my attempt to get an good fielder that could also provide some offense. Buddy Bell and Hernandez are included for the same reasons (although Bell is not doing that great). I am sure if I tried I could probably get every position rating above 100.

Preventing runs goes a long way but it does not matter unless you can score some also.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #70
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Best? No.

He was my attempt to get an good fielder that could also provide some offense. Buddy Bell and Hernandez are included for the same reasons (although Bell is not doing that great). I am sure if I tried I could probably get every position rating above 100.

Preventing runs goes a long way but it does not matter unless you can score some also.
I'd consider a better CF like Maddox or if you want to splurge, Andruw Jones and moving Trout to LF.

Last edited by zrog2000; 02-20-2019 at 12:25 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #71
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I'd consider a better CF like Maddux or if you want to splurge, Andruw Jones and moving Trout to LF.
I may look into that. I am building up points again and trying to decide what to upgrade next.

Your suggestion would be an option, depending on how good Trout could become at LF. But let's face it how can I have three teams and no Maddox?

I could also look for upgrades to Hernandez and Bell, although I would like some offense out of those positions as well.

I could possibly replace Ojeda in my rotation. He is beginning to struggle in gold some.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #72
atabakin
All Star Reserve

86 Paul Blair and 88 Chet Lemon also provide 98-99 CF, but good luck finding them on the AH.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #73
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
I may look into that. I am building up points again and trying to decide what to upgrade next.

Your suggestion would be an option, depending on how good Trout could become at LF. But let's face it how can I have three teams and no Maddox?

I could also look for upgrades to Hernandez and Bell, although I would like some offense out of those positions as well.

I could possibly replace Ojeda in my rotation. He is beginning to struggle in gold some.
Trout should get up to 107 in LF.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #74
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Trout should get up to 107 in LF.
I've won 4 straight Gold Gloves with Trout in LF on one of my teams. I went with Maddox in CF, but that's a huge offensive downgrade. The problem is that there aren't very many equal or better defensive CF than Trout that can hit really well, so Trout is sort of stuck there even though he can be even better in LF.

EDIT: Ricky Henderson 97, Willie Mays 100, and Eric Davis 96 (if you are ok with his garbage Avoid K's) are the only players I can see that play similar or better CF and hit well enough to supplant Trout in CF.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #75
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
86 Paul Blair and 88 Chet Lemon also provide 98-99 CF, but good luck finding them on the AH.
I saw the diamond Griffey recently who was a 103 in CF. But yeah he was definitely not cheap.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #76
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I saw the diamond Griffey recently who was a 103 in CF. But yeah he was definitely not cheap.
That Griffey is not a great OBP or GAP hitter and probably shouldn't start vs. RHP in the higher leagues. He's basically a HR or K guy. He's at best a starter vL and backup vR.

Oh, and Blair and Lemon are pretty much unplayable vR in Diamond or Perfect Leagues.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-20-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #77
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
I've won 4 straight Gold Gloves with Trout in LF on one of my teams. I went with Maddox in CF, but that's a huge offensive downgrade. The problem is that there aren't very many equal or better defensive CF than Trout that can hit really well, so Trout is sort of stuck there even though he can be even better in LF.

EDIT: Ricky Henderson 97, Willie Mays 100, and Eric Davis 96 (if you are ok with his garbage Avoid K's) are the only players I can see that play similar or better CF and hit well enough to supplant Trout in CF.
If I move Trout to LF then the bat I need to supplant is Ichiro. So moving Trout to left and getting someone like Maddox for center should not only improve my overall defense but also my offense.

Last edited by Maddox; 02-20-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #78
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oh, and Blair and Lemon are pretty much unplayable vR in Diamond or Perfect Leagues.
Blair is unplayable vs Righties? What is it about his splits or performance that leads you to a different conclusion than mine?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #79
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Blair is unplayable vs Righties? What is it about his splits or performance that leads you to a different conclusion than mine?
I'll update my thoughts on him: Paul Blair is unplayable in Diamond and Perfect Leagues vs. any handedness.

His Garbage EYE (28 vL, 35 vR) + mediocre CON (64, 62) means he's just not getting on base much. I've got him at around 780th for OBP vL and vR. No winning Perfect League team should have a hitter that is that bad. Yeah, he's a top 5 OF defender, but as a terrible hitter and unremarkable runner, he brings nothing else to the table.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #80
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll update my thoughts on him: Paul Blair is unplayable in Diamond and Perfect Leagues vs. any handedness.

His Garbage EYE (28 vL, 35 vR) + mediocre CON (64, 62) means he's just not getting on base much. I've got him at around 780th for OBP vL and vR. No winning Perfect League team should have a hitter that is that bad. Yeah, he's a top 5 OF defender, but as a terrible hitter and unremarkable runner, he brings nothing else to the table.

He is on one team in my Perfect league. He has been there for five+ seasons, so he has nearly 3000 plate appearances. His career slash line is .225/.269/.395 but he has accumulated 17 WAR. That defense is worth something, but yeah you better be able to bat him ninth.