Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM Dynasty Reports

Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

[Dynasty] building in the desert!

Being a huge fan of the YouTube series done by 2BCproductions, and having read some other Dynasty's done by others on this forum I have decided to go ahead and do an Arizona Coyotes.

Some things to start, I am starting in Blind Mode as I feel it makes the game a little more interesting and will force me to use my scouts a little bit more on the NHL side of things, focusing on first my own team so that I can get my starting rosters in full swing then going to the rest of the NHL.

I have never done one of these things before but FHM14 is one of those games that I have picked up recently and put over 14 hours on it in the first 4-5 days of owning it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and I will start updating the posts today.
deanwells1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
moore4807
All Star Starter

good luck and consider me subscribed!
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

First thing that I do when I take over the Yotes is to look over my General Manager home screen, Some things that I see that are going to be a tough to get around is
A) we have the lowest budget in the league not much to work with when it comes to hires and such
B)having one of the lowest paid teams does not make me feel confident in the quality of players on this team!
C) Less then $200,000 to spend on free agents... I can't go out and get any players I may need to make any real changes to this team.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

My next stop is my teams personnel, Looking over my entire coaching squad I can see good in all of my coaches and besides Dave King none of them have very high salaries at all.

I see as of now Sean Burke being my goalie coach with his 16 in goalie training, which is something I will need if I am going to have any real success in the NHL.

Newell Brown will be my dedicated Forward coach as it is his only real good coaching category with 15. As of right now N. Brown would be my most expendable coach on the team as he is very one sided with forwards and doesn't have much else to offer.

Next up is Dave King who I would call my main Assistant Coach with his very diverse skills in both coaching prospects (very much needed with this Arizona team), forwards, and defence. As of right now Dave King's job is pretty secure under the new management of the Yotes and would be the last of the coaching group to be kicked from his job.

The last of the coaching staff is Jim Playfair, being like Brown Playfair is a very one dimensional coach with all of his ability in coaching of the defense (15) and is very upgradable if someone else comes our way. He also has a very high salary price for a coach who doesn't seem to have a ton to bring to the table.

I would love to hear some opinions on what everyone else thinks about the coaching staff but as of right now I do not think a coaching change is needed. except maybe me not being a head coach but the game won't allow that!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
johnnyshaka
All Star Reserve

That Dean Wells guy is obviously overpaid, I'd look into sorting that out ASAP!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #6
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

Next thing I did was take a look at my scouts, Most were good but I did let a poor and poor scout go and hired John Madden who is Above Avg/Above Avg. I then send out my scouts like this.

As you can see I have 2 scouts on my NHL team (I started in Blind Mode so I do not know the rating of my players and this gets me those) and 3 scouts that are not doing anything at the moment, I will use them on my short list later in the year when the draft gets closer.

The next thing to do is to look at my rosters.

My team it looks like defence and Goaltending is my strongest parts and that it is offence that needs to be bolstered later in the dynasty. I am looking very forward to seeing what this team brings to the ice and hoping for a good season. Until I learn more about my players I am going to simply move ahead in time.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

Simming ahead to the start of the next week I have some very interesting news coming in. The Montreal Canadians and New Jersey Devils have agreed to a trade!

I myself am confused by this trade as the Devils have traded for a player who is said to be on the Free Agents? Montreal in the games mind has come out ahead on this trade gaining a 7 value and losing a 6.

This does add some depth to the Canadians who could use some in the forward position. Other then this no new news to talk about.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

As september 9th arrives I find myself looking at two new trades in the NHL. they are as followed.

This trade here is what I believe to be Toronto trying to get a better Defence core (much needed) while giving up a decent offensive brute style player to the wild.
The two younger centres will most likely never play much in the NHL or be a 4th liner.

The second trade is.

This trade here is a little more confusing to me on the end of Edmonton who is getting a very unproven potential player (something they have so much of already) and giving up a player who has proven to be able to put up decent numbers. I give this trade win to the Panthers and shake my head at the GM of the Edmonton Oilers!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

Just a day before preseason starts and another trade has materialized in the NHL. this time including a team that looks like it is trying to move around some pieces to win some more games this year.

Toronto seems to be shipping out some of their depth forwards and looking to replace them with a more defence style of play and players. I am interested in this trade as the Leafs already have a decent goaltending pair but I am looking forward to seeing where this guy ends up in the NHL. as for buffalo any type of player will help them at all, even if it is a 15 point a season player.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

IT'S SEASON TIME! With October 1, rolling around the Yotes are gearing up for the start of what is hoped to be a good season. No changes were made this off season, but time is still remaining for that to happen.

Since the last update two more trades have happened they are

I want to let some time go and get some feedback so before the season starts I would love to know what everyone thinks about the things I have done so far. I have tried to make a trade to get a better left winger on my second line but that failed so far. I am still looking around the league however for some possible upgrades as my left wing spot is in some dire need of help.

I hope everyone is enjoying my Dynasty so far and please let me know what you would like to see in the future to make it more entertaining to read.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
moore4807
All Star Starter

I'm curious how you intend on using your players, line selection and minutes played along with the tactics you intend on using? Defense first? caution to the winds attacking style? a little of both?

Commentary on the Buf-Tor trade. Jay McClement is a defensive center who does a lot of PK and 3-4th line minutes, since Buffalo already has Steve Ott who can do that - I read it as Toronto is looking to move one of the two NHL starting caliber goalies and keep Makarov as the backup. Buffalo may be going to a more defensive shell team to keep the scores respectable...
Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore4807 View Post
I'm curious how you intend on using your players, line selection and minutes played along with the tactics you intend on using? Defense first? caution to the winds attacking style? a little of both?

Commentary on the Buf-Tor trade. Jay McClement is a defensive center who does a lot of PK and 3-4th line minutes, since Buffalo already has Steve Ott who can do that - I read it as Toronto is looking to move one of the two NHL starting caliber goalies and keep Makarov as the backup. Buffalo may be going to a more defensive shell team to keep the scores respectable...
As of right now I haven't thought fully of the lines and tactics. I want to see what people have to say about the moves or possible moves they would make before I throw my line ups out here. I will probably post my lines and strategies later tonight.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

gearing up for the season here are the lines and tactics.

My goal for my lineup is to rely heavily on my top six and to put less pressure on my bottom six as they are not where I would like them to be stat wise. I hope that this doesn't over work my top six, however since S. Doan is the oldest player on that lineup I think I will be okay.

The tactics in FHM has always confused me and this is where I could use the most help. I have no real idea what the shoot/pass means but I would be open to any changes that anyone thinks would help!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Knave
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwells1234 View Post
gearing up for the season here are the

The tactics in FHM has always confused me and this is where I could use the most help. I have no real idea what the shoot/pass means but I would be open to any changes that anyone thinks would help!
New to this, but just pulled this from the manual. Basically shoot/pass is how fancy your lads get before they try to score:

"Mentality: Ranging from very defensive from very offensive, this determines how many chances your team takes while trying to score. Offensive settings will create more shot opportunities at the expense of turning the puck over more.

Forechecking: Ranging from very passive from very active, this determines how many forecheckers your team sends into the opposing team's zone when they are attempting to break out of their own end of the ice. Active settings will increase the likelihood of them turning the puck over to you, at the expense of creating better scoring chances for them.

Shoot/Pass: Ranging from shoot-heavy ("++") to pass-heavy, this determines how many passes your team will make when trying to create a scoring chance. Shoot-heavy teams will shoot very quickly, resulting in lower-quality shots; pass-heavy teams will try to improve their scoring chances, generating fewer but better shots.

Aggressiveness: Ranging from very relaxed to very aggressive, this determines how physically aggressive your team acts. Aggressive teams will throw more bodychecks and may have a better chance of intimidating their opponent, but will also take more penalties."
Knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

October!

October 3, 2013

Home Opener!

The 'Yotes face the New York Rangers and King Henry on their first game of the season. This game, which looked like a blow out at one time turned into a solid, hard fought game in the end and the 'Yotes where able to finish the game on top of the Rangers for their first win and the first win for new GM Dean Wells

L. Korpikoski comes away with the game winner and the 'Yotes get production from a bunch of different sources.

If there is one thing to touch on in this game it would have to be the lack of ability for the 'Yotes to come away with more goals as they went 1-5 on the PP. If this is something that continues a new lineup may be needed or change in the Tactics!

October 5, 2013

The first game away from home for the 'Yotes sees them up against the San Jose Sharks. This game was a battle of the special teams and the Sharks came away with the win. The way that the 'Yotes played does not hold well if this becomes a common occurrence.

The downside to this game was the 3 PP goals given up by the 'Yotes. If the 'Yotes would have been a little more clean in their game they could have left with the W instead of the L.

To add insult to the lose the 'Yotes have lost RD Derek Morris for 3 weeks with a herniated disc! RD David Rundblad will be dressed and play in the meanwhile. The new lineups look as followed.

October 8, 2013

The 'Yotes are in New York to take on the 2-0-0 New York Islanders. The 'Yotes go into this game with the worst PK in the league at just 50% but are able to kill off the only penalty they took. They again were unable to capitalize fully on the PP and went 1-6. But all together the 'Yotes pulled together for the 5-2 win!

October 10,2013

The 'Yotes are on game 3 of a 5 game road trip taking on the very rested Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings are the worst offensive team so far this season with 3 goals in 3 games, while allowing 9 goals in 3 games. They also have one of the worst PP in the league at a mere 8%.

A strong 2 period by the 'Yotes brings them their third win of the season and two straight on the road trip!

October 11,2013

The 'Yotes are in Philly today to take on the Flyers on this back-to-back road trip game. Smith gets the night off with Thomas Greiss getting the start. The 'Yotes are looking to make it three straight with a W in this game and make sure they go back to Arizona with a winning road trip!

A breakout game for Thomas Greiss as he finishes with an incredible .971 save percentage! The 'Yotes make this three straight and are cruising through the road trip at the moment!

The one down side at the moment is M. Riberio is DtD with hip soreness and will miss the next 6 days and probably the next two games. in his absence the lineups will look like so.

October 13, 2013
The 'Yotes finish their road trip with a stop in Carolina! the Hurricanes are a top team in the league posting the same 4-1-0 record as the 'Yotes but are among the top teams in goals, PP, and PK! This will be a huge test for the 'Yotes to see if they can hang with the big boys!

Despite being outshot and outplayed most of the first the 'Yotes where able to crack the hurricanes and land their 4th straight win! going 2-4 on the PP and having a crazy game from Mike Smith with a 97.1 save%! The 'Yotes now take a 5-1-0 record home for their next game!

October 15, 2013
The 'Yotes play host to the Ottawa Senators tonight, the 'Yotes bring into this game the best record in the Western Conference as they take on the team tied for the best record in the Eastern Conference. Mike Riberio is still a few days away from returning but the 'Yotes are handling themselves even without their top centre.

after being up by two early the 'Yotes lost momentum and found themselves down by one going into the second. The Senators didn't give up and finished the 'Yotes off 5-3 to end their winning streak at four games. Mike Smith had a horrible game finishing with a 83.9 save%. Bobby Ryan got the best of the 'Yotes and goes home with a 5 point night.

October 18, 2013
The 'Yotes head to Anaheim to take on the Ducks who have had a subpar start to their season at 2-4-0. This game allows the 'Yotes to take it to their division rivals and put them back on top of the Western Conference. Mike Riberio is back in the lineup for this game and the lines return to how they were prior to injury.

After a evenly played and scoreless first period the 'Yotes get on the board with a SH goal by none other than Mike Riberio. The 'Yotes would go on to get 2 more goals before Anaheim was able to get one by Smith with 30 seconds to go. The 'Yotes now improve to 6-2-0!

October 19, 2013
The second back-to-back of the season comes against the Red Wings while the 'Yotes are home. Thomas Greiss will get his second start of the season as the 'Yotes go for win number 7 while the Red Wings look to get off the skid they started the year with going 2-6-0 to start.

After a disaster of a first period ending 4-0 for Detroit the 'Yotes are not able to pull back and end up losing their back-to-back against the high powered offence of the Red Wings. Thomas Greiss ends the game with a save percentage of 80%!

October 22, 2013
The 'Yotes are hosting the 5 game road tripping Calgary flames who are on the second game of a back-to-back and having won their last two games (only two wins of the season so far). Mike Smith is back in net as the 'Yotes hope to bounce back from their own lost against the wings!

After a pretty bland start to the game the 'Yotes turn it on in the second half of the second period and never look back. The legs of the Flames didn't look to be working all that great after a hard fought win the night before.

October 24, 2013
The 'Yotes head to LA to take on the Kings in what looks like it will be a hard fought game between some of the best teams in the league! with 21 saves tonight Mike Smith would have 7000 on his career!

With 34 saves Mike Smith gets over his 7000 saves and more importantly a 4-3 win! Mike Riberio almost single handily wins this games for the 'Yotes with a hat trick and first star!

[U]October 26, 2013/U]
The 'Yotes invite the Edmonton Oilers to town! Edmonton who is having an average season to date will be matched up against a real tough Arizona team who is a single point out of first in the Western Conference!

Mike Smith has a killer game stopping all 35 shots the Oilers took on him and the 'Yotes figure a way past Martin Brodeur 4 times as the 'Yotes win again and keep right on rolling in the first month of the season!

October 29, 2013
Good news for the 'Yotes as Derek Morris is back in the lineups! the 'Yotes host LA for the first time and second meeting of the month! their starting lineups with the reintroduction of Derek Morris looks like this!

Penalties end of killing the 'Yotes in the end as they give up 3 PP goals and drop this game 5-3 against the Kings.

October 31, 2013
on a spooky last night of the month in Arizona the 'Yotes host rival Nashville Predators! the 'Yotes are hoping for a good end to the month of October and hopefully a bounce back game after the lost to LA.

despite being heavily outshot the Arizona Coyotes come out with a dominating 4-0 win against the Nashville Predators. Mike Smith had a busy night in net stopping all of the 35 shots he faced for his second shutout of the season and the coyotes finished off October in style!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #16
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

October Trade News

In the month of October 3 trades were made within the NHL, with one being a huge trade!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #17
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

End of October Stats

Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

Arizona Coyotes Team Stats!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #19
moore4807
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwells1234 View Post
gearing up for the season here are the lines and tactics.

My goal for my lineup is to rely heavily on my top six and to put less pressure on my bottom six as they are not where I would like them to be stat wise. I hope that this doesn't over work my top six, however since S. Doan is the oldest player on that lineup I think I will be okay.

I'll be glad to offer my $.02 but take it with a grain of salt, not everyone plays the same way and results may vary, oh and contents may settle during shipping!

The lines are divided by TOI (time on ice). Defense is slightly different than offense and I'll explain why in a minute. The even strength TOI is calculated over 60 minutes so it should be relatively close for defensemen. There is rarely a huge difference in the skills of the 4th through 6th defenseman (6.0 -7.0) and your top two defenseman are usually paired together on all phases of the game usually because they are your best LD and RD on the team.

Now to keep those top two players from playing more than 25 mins a game on average, you have to figure out how much PK and PP time per game you are averaging as a team. If you are averaging 20 minutes per games on PK & PP then your top lines are going to get 60%-75% of that time added on to the regular game time... Now 60% of 20 minutes is 12 minutes of special teams play plus the 25 you assigned them on even strength. = 37 mins!!! They will wear down quickly playing that much TOI. Do they do this every game? No but now the conditioning comes into play - if they are average or worse, they will break down quicker than someone with good conditoning.

My defense pairings are by skills and my third pairing doesn't mean they are the worst - I use them as my best skilled D against the best PP of the opponent and my best offensive D on my PP. Usually my best offensive D are the worst defenders! all three are split equally on equal strength because they are all 7.5 defenders but one who is gifted defensively!

The forwards will do shorter shifts but generally the same principle applies, You have your top two lines to pick your PP forces and the bottom two lines to pick your PK personnel (and maybe your first line guys do both). For example a 60%/40% split on a two minute minor would be 1minute 12 secs for the top PP line forwards and 48 sec's for the second PP line forwards. meanwhile the same 60%/40% is divvyed up between just six defenseman (again if you don't put a forward on D during a PP)

My usual pairings are here for example, and the forwards even strength TOI varies depending on my opposition and the hockey style they play. The first team defense pairing is not my first team PP and my second team Defense pairing plays first line PP and very little on PK...
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
deanwells1234
Minors (Triple A)

I like the 60/40 split (It is what I use) but I could never do the 15minutes all lines. My bottom six (although my third line is producing at a great rate) is just not good enough to be out there that often. I wish I could match lines in some games but that would be it. Overall I have had success with the lineup I have and if nothing else changes then I guess it is what I will keep. I know as the season wears on my players will start to tire out so I will keep that in consideration!