Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

stuff vs. movement

I am playing the free v5 version. I'm a little unsure about what a pitcher's "stuff" means as opposed to "movement." Is "stuff" kind of the bottom line of how a pitcher's "movement" and "velocity" compliment each other?
theobscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Stuff = Pitcher's ability to strikeout hitters

Movement = Pitcher's ability to not give up HRs

Control = Pitcher's ability to not walk hitters

Higher is better in every category.

Velocity as far as I know is purely cosmetic and doesn't really effect anything.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
sfgiants88
All Star Reserve

Also,

Stuff = Ability to Prevent Hits
sfgiants88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
mrbill
All Star Reserve

Yeah, what these guys said, and I find it easiest just to think of the ratings in V6 as the V5 ratings renamed. Still no interdependence or anything, or too minimal to notice.

There's rumors that GB/FB% will also affect # of HR given up in the next version, but we'll have to see how it works when its released.
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
sean-patin
Minors (Triple A)

I would agree with how those totals affect a pitcher's stats, but more specifically talking I think of it as this:

Stuff: Say a guy throws a curve, change, fastball (also available on a player's report)... i like to think of stuff as how well his secondary pitches are because those are usually strikeout pitches....

Control: simply how well he locates his pitches and consistency with this...

Movement: how "hittable" his fastball is.... many ppl have movement on their fastballs like Glavine, Maddux who don't throw very hard but still can get outs with their fastball and a lot of the reason is movement....
sean-patin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon
Stuff = Pitcher's ability to strikeout hitters

Movement = Pitcher's ability to not give up HRs

Control = Pitcher's ability to not walk hitters

Higher is better in every category.

Velocity as far as I know is purely cosmetic and doesn't really effect anything.

ok thanks. I guess I always thought of stuff and movement as the same thing. A guy who's described with great stuff I always thought just meant he had great movement on his pitches.

Now that I think about it though, you never hear them say a knuckleballer has great stuff. I guess that's maybe where I came up with the idea that stuff was some combination of movement and velocity.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #7
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill
Yeah, what these guys said, and I find it easiest just to think of the ratings in V6 as the V5 ratings renamed. Still no interdependence or anything, or too minimal to notice.

There's rumors that GB/FB% will also affect # of HR given up in the next version, but we'll have to see how it works when its released.

by no interdependence do you mean that the ratings values do not translate into his stat production?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
mrbill
All Star Reserve

I mean, movement doesn't help strike people out, and stuff doesn't keep people from hitting HRs. People assumed the changing names of version 6 and 2006 meant the engine made big changes like that.

But, Stuff = Avoiding Hits/Getting Ks, Movement = Avoidng HR and avoiding 2B, Control = avoiding walks, easiest way to think about it.

There's the possibility that GB% will also affect HR in the upcoming version, but I believe movement will still be the deciding factor in HR allowed.
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:13 AM   #9
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

Taken from a book called Roads to Redemption by Craig W Thomas, 'Stuff' is described thus, "Stuff is what a pitcher has; it's his range of pitches, his speed, the intelligent way he uses his armoury". 'Velocity' is the speed of the pitchers delivery.
Mariners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Velocity is not merely cosmetic. No one is completely sure how it's factored in, but presumably a guy with great velocity has a greater potential to improve in stuff and movement. And to verify that velocity is not cosmetic, it is worth 5 points in Spring Training to be used as you wish. So it is of some significance. OTH, pitch selection is totally cosmetic, except for the knuckleball, which can lead to higher wild pitches and passed balls. But in OOTP you can have a one pitch pitcher be as successful as a guy with 5, it matters not.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

Will pitch selection be cosmetic in the new version?

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBevacqua
Velocity is not merely cosmetic. No one is completely sure how it's factored in, but presumably a guy with great velocity has a greater potential to improve in stuff and movement. And to verify that velocity is not cosmetic, it is worth 5 points in Spring Training to be used as you wish. So it is of some significance. OTH, pitch selection is totally cosmetic, except for the knuckleball, which can lead to higher wild pitches and passed balls. But in OOTP you can have a one pitch pitcher be as successful as a guy with 5, it matters not.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure velocity gives a pitcher a greater chance to "get it together".