Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #21
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Anyone who tries to make a baseball gm game now should just sit down and take up knitting.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #22
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Mogul know has Expansion Draft and other new stuff,future 40 Man Roster Rule and so on. News Articles are good but Minor Leagues Rosters don't get their own page.

Front Page Sports/High Heat were good Games because of Live Play by Play that OTTP doesn't have yet. Pro Baseball or every it was called was good for Photo's. NBATK16 is good for like Social Media,can select Custom Draft Classes to load and that Adam Silver calls the Draft,also can turn off Trade Deadline so it can happen all year round like in Franchise Hockey Manager but in OTTP no Social Media other then Baseball Network and Rob Manfred doesn't call Draft and can't select Custom Draft Classes to load. No Game has all the Spring Training Rules,Real Rule 5 Draft Rules,Minor League Team Contracts with MLB Teams and so on.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #23
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I can remember people leaving OOTP for Mogul back in the OOTP 2006/2007 days. Their arguments didn't make sense to me.
Most of that was all talk from what I remember. I would imagine that anyone who was actually shortsighted enough to jump ship to BM in '06 came scurrying right back to OOTP in relatively short order. In fact, there's at least one person who still posts here actively that I can remember making similar threats who obviously didn't go anywhere.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #24
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Most of that was all talk from what I remember. I would imagine that anyone who was actually shortsighted enough to jump ship to BM in '06 came scurrying right back to OOTP in relatively short order. In fact, there's at least one person who still posts here actively that I can remember making similar threats who obviously didn't go anywhere.
There were a couple I never saw again. I'm sure that some threatened to and didn't.

It's true that the days of OOTP 2006 and 2007 were dark and horrible days in OOTP history; those two versions were frankly awful. But Markus asked us to keep the faith in those dark days, and we did, and look where we are today.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #25
Assos
All Star Starter

Those were the dark re writing of the code if remember. Without them there is no this!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assos View Post
Those were the dark re writing of the code if remember. Without them there is no this!
Those two versions were Hell to play for those of us who started on 6.5. But your last sentence says it all.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #27
Assos
All Star Starter

Been here since 2. So, I remember the shift. But now we have an expansion draft and pop ups and so much more! Hall of Fame, good trade window!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #28
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thumbs up Ootp

As a newbie I obviously don't remember the dark days of version 6.5. But where 16 is and I believe 17 is going to be has me hooked to the game. Every day I find new wrinkles that bring me more enjoyment and I spend more time than I probably should developing my leagues. As a Strat-O-Matic player from the 1960s onward I cannot believe how much better and how high the bar has been raised by OOTP.

The people and these forums also add to my enjoyment of OOTP.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #29
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
As a newbie I obviously don't remember the dark days of version 6.5. But where 16 is and I believe 17 is going to be has me hooked to the game. Every day I find new wrinkles that bring me more enjoyment and I spend more time than I probably should developing my leagues. As a Strat-O-Matic player from the 1960s onward I cannot believe how much better and how high the bar has been raised by OOTP.

The people and these forums also add to my enjoyment of OOTP.
6.5 was actually really great. The game code then was rewritten from scratch and the next two versions were misery.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #30
Assos
All Star Starter

I believe there was a line from Marcus that said that the code for 6.5 was so patched and there was no way to have a stable and smooth running game with the features they wanted to add to 7, hence the re-invention.
Vague memory, lots of craft beer from 6.5 to today.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I wasn't here then (so forgive my potential ignorance), but isn't that when OOTP took a step back in order to take a quantum leap forward?
IIRC, yes. I came back here in June of 2009 because I wanted to give OOTP another chance. Am I ever glad I did!

I think it was around that time or perhaps a bit earlier (OOTP 6?) was when Markus completely broke down the game engine and started over from scratch.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #32
Afino
Hall Of Famer

OOTP's made a couple of quantum leaps.

I think 9 to 10 was a big one. 10 had the new pitching model and was infinitely more stable than 9. 11 took it even another step. OOTP11 is still among the greatest games I've ever played.

Then I think 12 to 13 was another big one. I remember being really disappointed with 12 - it's the only version I didn't even enjoy playing solo. 13 fixed the issues with 12.

Then 15 to 16 was the next "major" leap I saw and made OOTP truly great again.

Every franchise has its ups and downs and versions that are "better" and more appealing. But this game is almost unrecognizable from even a couple of years ago, and that's great news. Testament to Markus and the team for keeping it fresh.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #33
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Not sure it really is a fair comparison between OOTP and games like Diamond Mind, Strat, and ActionPC....totally different focus. OOTP focuses on career play, while the others focus on specific season replays. Personally, I think there is room for both types of games on my hard drive since some times I am just in the mood for playing a season without worrying about GM duties while other times I want to focus on career goals. Only real comparison is between OOTP and Mogul and I tend to agree OOTP is ahead, unless you want a light experience, which is fine too.
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #34
smiller
Major Leagues

Mogul began going downhill a few years ago, because the developer basically stopped paying attention to it for other projects. I'm one of those who then decided to try OOTP and am very thankful I did. This and Football Manager are the two best sports games.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
This and Football Manager are the two best sports games.
I don't think there's much doubt about that.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #36
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Educational thread

I'm so into OOTP I didn't even realize anyone but EA even published a game anymore. Thanks Markus!

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #37
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

They still do NBA and NHL Live.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #38
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
In fact the only Xbox game I still play (not s much" buy are FIFA and Rugby that's it

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #39
mm7607
All Star Reserve

OOTP blows everyone out of the water except for 1 feature. The encyclopedia has a lot to be desired. For example if I want to know what team holds the record for consecutive wins, well I cant. Unless I search every season DB by hand. Even as old a Baseball for Windows is it blows away OOTP with its record keeping.

I love OOTP but I sure wish it was easy to find out what pitcher threw the most 1 hitters.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #40
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle View Post
Not sure it really is a fair comparison between OOTP and games like Diamond Mind, Strat, and ActionPC....totally different focus. OOTP focuses on career play, while the others focus on specific season replays. Personally, I think there is room for both types of games on my hard drive since some times I am just in the mood for playing a season without worrying about GM duties while other times I want to focus on career goals. Only real comparison is between OOTP and Mogul and I tend to agree OOTP is ahead, unless you want a light experience, which is fine too.
OOTP 16 raised the bar on the accuracy of single season replays conducted with the game. Now a single season replay is comparable to the other games, without the necessity of paying for each season. OOTP played that way will do some things better and some things worse.. There's still room on my hard drive for the others, but OOTP keeps getting better.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote