Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
2015 Home Run Derby

I think this Home Run Derby was the best ever, but I may be prejudiced since my man Frazier won the whole thing.

I honestly did not think I would like the new format going in, but it seemed to add to the drama rather than take any away. Seems like every round, almost, came down to the wire.

So, am I just prejudiced or was it really great?
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it was much more exciting/intense than the previous format, and it was over in a timely fashion (10:40 PM EST). It also didn't have players taking pitch after pitch after pitch...If I want to watch that, I'll tune in to the next Red Sux/Spankees game.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Pretty much every round was close. The fact that the fans were behind the winner certainly helped the mood. Also went by at a pretty quick pace, too.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Yes, it was much more exciting/intense than the previous format, and it was over in a timely fashion (10:40 PM EST). It also didn't have players taking pitch after pitch after pitch...If I want to watch that, I'll tune in to the next Red Sux/Spankees game.
Good point! Had not realized until you pointed it out that that had a LOT to do with how much more enjoyable it was.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Definitely like the new time limit format - now guys are swinging at everything instead of taking pitch after pitch until they get the perfect one.

Good show
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
CD1083
All Star Starter

I concur with the rest of you. Felt like I was watching a video game, which was a lot of fun to watch.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
So, am I just prejudiced or was it really great?
You are prejudiced. There's no excitement in watching a guy lob softballs to be leisurely swatted into the seats.

Here's a clue: I didn't watch much but from what I saw, nobody wore a batting helmet. Which means they were not actually batting, just swinging. Which in turn means any guy with muscles and a small amount of coordination could do what those "sluggers" were doing.

Yawn.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

That's like saying, "That was the most exciting grass growing competition yet!" Might have been an improvement on previous iterations but I still don't feel sorry for skipping it.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
kq76
Global Moderator

I usually try to catch at least some of it, but I was working so I missed all of it this year. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, by the handful of articles I've read on it, it sounds like it was the coolest thing MLB has done in a long long time.

For those who did see it or read a fair bit about it, would you tweak it any?

I definitely liked the idea of the clock, but 4 minutes per round sounds a bit long to me. On one site I saw someone say cut it to 2 minutes and double the participants. Doubling the participants sounds good to me (plus a mandatory home team guy as Frazier winning it was great), but I'd say cut it down to 3 minutes as a few articles mentioned that the participants seemed to tire late in their rounds. And with the one less minute per go, the extra first round probably won't make the whole event too much longer.

I liked the idea of the extra time for moonshots too, but, by the sounds of it at least, 425 feet was a bit too easy to make and the initial rules of 475 might have been too long. An extra 30 seconds for a shot of 450+ feet sounds good, maybe even a total of an extra 60 seconds for a 500+ foot shot. Yeah, those 500 foot shots are rare, even in the derby, but that makes them all the more deserving of extra time.

I liked the one timeout idea so no need for a change there. And while Fielder was hurt by the head-to-head format (he would have beat a number of others in the first round), it sounds like there was far more drama with it than the old top however many make it to the next round format. Those going second had an advantage, but, with seeding based on their home run totals this year, I don't see anything unfair about that.

I read some complaints about some players hitting balls before the previous had even landed and that definitely sounds like a problem as you want the crowd / audience to be able to follow and enjoy each shot. Maybe all they need to do for that is have an ump to rule the successive homer invalid and that should keep players from trying to cheat and wasting their energy.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

I did not notice anyone blatantly breaking the rule of waiting for the last shot to land before the next one.

I liked the fact that it became a bit of an endurance test, especially in the later rounds. And the 4 minutes did not seem to be too long. Also, almost every hitter went through a slump period every round and I think you want to give them enough time to be able to make adjustments.

I have never been a big Derby fan, but I enjoyed this one. If you are going to have a grass growing competition, you might as well make it as enjoyable as you can.

P.S. Babe Ruth never wore a batting helmet in his life and I think he did some hitting.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I usually try to catch at least some of it, but I was working so I missed all of it this year. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, by the handful of articles I've read on it, it sounds like it was the coolest thing MLB has done in a long long time.

For those who did see it or read a fair bit about it, would you tweak it any?

I definitely liked the idea of the clock, but 4 minutes per round sounds a bit long to me. On one site I saw someone say cut it to 2 minutes and double the participants. Doubling the participants sounds good to me (plus a mandatory home team guy as Frazier winning it was great), but I'd say cut it down to 3 minutes as a few articles mentioned that the participants seemed to tire late in their rounds. And with the one less minute per go, the extra first round probably won't make the whole event too much longer.

I liked the idea of the extra time for moonshots too, but, by the sounds of it at least, 425 feet was a bit too easy to make and the initial rules of 475 might have been too long. An extra 30 seconds for a shot of 450+ feet sounds good, maybe even a total of an extra 60 seconds for a 500+ foot shot. Yeah, those 500 foot shots are rare, even in the derby, but that makes them all the more deserving of extra time.

I liked the one timeout idea so no need for a change there. And while Fielder was hurt by the head-to-head format (he would have beat a number of others in the first round), it sounds like there was far more drama with it than the old top however many make it to the next round format. Those going second had an advantage, but, with seeding based on their home run totals this year, I don't see anything unfair about that.

I read some complaints about some players hitting balls before the previous had even landed and that definitely sounds like a problem as you want the crowd / audience to be able to follow and enjoy each shot. Maybe all they need to do for that is have an ump to rule the successive homer invalid and that should keep players from trying to cheat and wasting their energy.
Just to point out - there is an MLB Ump standing just off to the side of home plate and the next pitch cannot be thrown until the ball lands. That is the Umps job, to signal the pitcher when he can throw.

I watched most of it and I didn't see anyone pitching/hitting early. There was of course the standard rush to get that last pitch in when the clock got down to 5 sec or less and they're waiting for the ball to land so they can get 1 more toss/hit in.

I wouldn't tweak anything. This, imo, was a huge improvement over what was a very boring event. Sitting and watching a guy take 10 pitches then swing at 1 he liked, then wait another 4 or 5 - might as well watch paint dry.

With this format, the guys were swinging at most pitches because of the clock - very good idea MLB.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they do with it, some people just aren't going to like it.

DejaBru - you never watched the derby before? No helmets, so what? Junior used to wear a ballcap backwards when he participated. Helmetless HR Derby's are he norm.

What would you suggest - have staff ace pitching to the hitters and trying to strike them out? Guess that would be exciting for the fans - getting to see maybe a dozen HR's total out of the whole event.

Hitting lob balls is just fine - I think those kids they allow in the OF to try and shag a few enjoy that very much. I doubt they'd be able to allow them out there if a pitcher was blazing 95+mph pitches across the plate. Let the kids have some fun, I'm pretty sure that MLB wants the fans to have fun over the 3 or 4 days. Serious baseball will be back soon enough.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #12
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I loved the new format. Each round was close and the crowd was into the whole event. Usually the crowd response disappeared after the first round. I actually think the shortened rounds (from 5min to 4) was a blessing for the event. I think that timing is perfect. I think any longer and I might have lost interest. Not to mention the hitters were gassed at 4 minutes by the end of the event.

I'm sure it could use some tweaking the next few years but I think it was a fantastic step in the right direction. Well done MLB.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

One of the best HR Derby's in the last 15 years. Anyone know who was the last home player to win the Derby? I can't recall who has done it.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
One of the best HR Derby's in the last 15 years. Anyone know who was the last home player to win the Derby? I can't recall who has done it.
Ryne Sandberg in 1990.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Not who i was guessing. i was guessing Pujols perhaps or someone around 2005-2009 timeframe.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I think Sandberg is the only other home player to win, not just the last guy to do it.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

The 2nd batter in each round won every single time. They may need to tweak something to off-set that.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
The 2nd batter in each round won every single time. They may need to tweak something to off-set that.
Joc Pederson went first and beat Albert Pujols in one of the semi-finals, and seedings were determined by the number of HR hit by each player so far this year.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

There is definitely an inherent advantage to knowing your target to advance to the next round. There will always be a disadvantage to going first, but I think that's fine if they are seeded.