Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

A cool moment in my historical game...

OK, first I'll set it up...

It's game two of the '65 World Series, Dodgers vs Tigers (LA took game one behind Koufax strong pitching and a 5-run 8th).

With Don Drysdale on the hill for LA, the Tigers score quickly on a two-run blast by Al Kaline in the first. Then, Bill Freehan leads off the second with a solo shot. A few batters later, Gates Brown hits a two-run bomb to put Detroit up 5-0. The next batter is Dick McAuliffe...

Play by play:
There are two down.
The 0-1 pitch...
It got a piece of him!
McAuliffe trots down to first.
Wow, now he goes after Drysdale...
here we go...
McAuliffe throws a punch at the pitcher...
both benches empty...
Whoa Nelly!
and they really get into each other...
a punch here, a shoving match there...
two minutes later...
the dust slowly begins to settle...
that's it...
and the ump doesn't hesitate...
he ejects both the batter and the pitcher...
Simply Amazing!

I typically play out just a handful of games per year, plus the World Series games. But even so, after 16 sim years, this was my first brawl. And in the World Series even! With Big D doing the plunking after giving up a few yaks! Nice... Just had to share.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Brilliant stuff. I have never seen a brawl.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

that may be the most realistic play by play yet, as far as historical accuracy...lol!

Gotta love Drysdale.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

I used to see brawls back in OOTP5/6...in fact, in OOTP5, I had Paul Konerko get ejected from games for charging the mound twice in a single season.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I should point out that the Drysdale/McAliffe brawl was in 6.5. I guess I posted in the wrong section. But still, it was COOL!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Big D has contributed another memorable moment in my historical sim...

It's the '66 Series, Dodgers vs Orioles, just like in real life... The Orioles are up 3 games to 1 and Drysdale is pitching game 5 in Baltimore to try to keep True Blue hope alive... and he's throwing a flippin' No-No! But it's no score after 9. He's thrown 120 pitches, 7 k's, 3 bb's...

In the top of the 10th the Dodgers have 1st & 3rd w one out but can't come thru... So it's on to the bottom of the tenth...

Drysdale walks the leadoff batter, Russ Snyder. He then induces Frank Robinson to pop out, but the next hitter, Brooks Robinson, hits a fly to right that Tommy Davis DROPS! So it's 1st & 3rd, one out... I go to the hill to check on Big D and I subsequently see a (most distressing) message that I've never seen before: (something to the effect of) "I have a few bullets left in the gun, but it's your call..." That tells me he's DONE, stick a fork in him. But HECK, he hasn't even given up a stinkin' hit yet! So I let him stay out there...

I play the corners in and, sure enough, Boog Powell hits a grounder that holds the runner on 3rd and the Dodgers get a force at 2nd. Two down, runners still on 1st & 3rd... That brings up Curt Blefary. So 'ol Double D - at the 132 pitch mark - reaches back and WHIFFS HIM!

It's on to the top of the 11th we go. DD is scheduled to lead off. I can't see him pitching much more, but hell, he's a .250 hitter this year and for his career - with 22 dingers - (and the Dodgers don't have muc left on a a lousy bench) so why not let him hack?

He flies out and LA comes up empty in the top of the 11th. I let DD take the mound to start the bottom of the inning - after all, the sonofagun hasn't given up a hit yet - but before he throws a pitch I take a little walk to the hill to check on the rascal, and he says something about how he's ready for the showers, so I take the ball and motion to the pen for Bob Miller...

Bob shuts 'em down in the 11th (gives up the first Oriole hit), then good ol' Ron Perranoski bails him out of a 12th-inning jam, and Phil Regan breezes through the 13th... And on we go...

Maury Wills is leading off the 14th against Dick Hall. If he gets on, I'm sending him NO MATTER WHAT! But he doesn't and it's still scoreless going to the bottom of the 14th...

Turns out it's no storybook ending for the Dodgers... In the bottom of the 14th and with one out, Blefary singles and Bob Johnson doubles him home... I may have left Regan in too long, maybe should've gone with Don Sutton. But Phil only threw 30 pitches...

Anyway, IRL, Balt won the series 4 games to none by the scores of 5-2, 6-0, 1-0, 1-0
In the Sim, Balt won 4 gms to 1, by scores of 0-2, 4-0, 4-1, 2-1, 1-0

Major pitcher's series in both worlds... Not that OOTP is always that close to reality, but that's pretty cool...
Old 10-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

That's one heck of a game. 10 innings of no hit ball in the Series, nice.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Doughnuts?
All Star Reserve

nice
Doughnuts? is offline   Reply With Quote