Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #41
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuffleball
Being from West Virginia, [cough] Sugar Bowl Champions [/cough], I plan on creating my own professional league, the Mountaineer League (logo below). It will be a 10-team league playing a 126-game regular season schedule. The league's teams are cities in my beloved state. I am undecided on minor league levels or affiliations just yet, but I do know that I will be creating a 6-8 team independent league to also be playing. This league will be used primarily for aging players to still play and for the 'big' ML clubs to pick any good players out of

My idea is basically that baseball history to this point just never happened and leagues are more a state thing than a national thing. My focus will be solely on the Mountaineer League, though. All talent will have to be from West Virginia as well.

Mountaineer League Logo

Thanks!
Great league logo.

Good league idea, too.

I am hoping the game will let aging vets that can't play in the higher leagues be able to play down in classification and continue to play. That used to routinely happen pre-1960.

I am hoping the game will let the over-the-hill vets play in the minors without putting up abnormally high stats. I hope the game will allow a player to stay in the minors if he wants without suffering talent loss. There should be no game penalty if a guy wants to play 18 years in the Pacific Coast League like Jigger Statz did...he also put in about 5 solid years with the Chicago Cubs, too.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #42
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church
I am hoping the game will let aging vets that can't play in the higher leagues be able to play down in classification and continue to play. That used to routinely happen pre-1960.

I am hoping the game will let the over-the-hill vets play in the minors without putting up abnormally high stats. I hope the game will allow a player to stay in the minors if he wants without suffering talent loss. There should be no game penalty if a guy wants to play 18 years in the Pacific Coast League like Jigger Statz did...he also put in about 5 solid years with the Chicago Cubs, too.
This is an excellent point you bring up, Eugene. I'm hoping this will be possible as well. I've always wanted to run an accurate PCL simulation, and it looks like the new version will make that a lot more possible, but this would certainly help out a lot.

Speaking of which... I wonder what happened to the PCL database project? I sent in a couple pages of stat entry, and haven't heard anything in quite a while.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #43
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifspuds
This is an excellent point you bring up, Eugene. I'm hoping this will be possible as well. I've always wanted to run an accurate PCL simulation, and it looks like the new version will make that a lot more possible, but this would certainly help out a lot.

Speaking of which... I wonder what happened to the PCL database project? I sent in a couple pages of stat entry, and haven't heard anything in quite a while.
I just posted a thread asking Markus to let us know if this would be possible in OOTPBM 2006.

I was not involved in the PCL project...not smart enough with computers...but recently asked one of the participants. Apparently it was difficult to get the volunteers to do the work and it fizzled. Sorry it didn't happen. It was a great idea, but a massive one. We sometimes let our hearts overwhelm our minds.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-09-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
Chappy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church
I could be wrong,Rmc, but I don't think teams can change leagues in OOTPBM 2006.

How are you going to promote and demote teams?

I hope I am wrong as it seems a lot of people want promotion and relegation to be part of the game.
Quote:
No, this will not be part of the first version, sorry.

Cheers,
Markus
From http://community.sigames.com/groupee...3/m/6222064881
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #45
Arlie Latham
Major Leagues

In the year 3000....

I plan to start the game far in the future---a future where baseball has morphed into Blernsball, and the most feared pitcher on the planet is a one-eyed record holding flame throwing dynamo:
Attached Images
Arlie Latham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #46
datrain021
Minors (Single A)

If anyone wants a copy of my 'new minors' spreadsheet, just email me. I dont care if u keep it the same or not but it may be useful if your planning a league in real stadiums as it contains yr built, capasity, as well as previous seasons avg attendance.
datrain021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 AM   #47
ZouDave
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Latham
I plan to start the game far in the future---a future where baseball has morphed into Blernsball, and the most feared pitcher on the planet is a one-eyed record holding flame throwing dynamo:
Will the new splits engine be able to account for blerns and anti-blerns? Will the infield blern rule be factored in? Will steroid use be mandatory?

Always nice to see another Futurama fan out there.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 AM   #48
ZouDave
Major Leagues

My idea for a league actually started out when I first got into OOTP in version 4. The very first league I played loosely followed what I want to do, OOTP5 moved more towards it still and now this version will probably allow me to do this exactly how I want.

My league will be the American Professional Baseball League and it will start in 1996. The history of the league will be based on an alternative result that the 1994 strike was never resolved and Major League Baseball folded. After a season spent building a new league (1995), the APBL's innaugural season would be 1996. Initially, the league would be made up of minor-league level players playing at the "major league" level. Each year the amature draft will be of the players that continued entering MLB. Some aged players from MLB pre-1996 will opt to join the APBL to continue their baseball careers and offer veteran leadership, and these players will dominate to start out but their careers will most likely be short (players like Greg Maddux, Mark McGwire, Randy Johnson, etc would join the new league while players like Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, etc would not accept the much lower salaries).

The APBL will have teams in major cities in the United States. It will start out as a 24 or 28 team league with 2 sub-leagues, the Northern League and Southern League. The NL and SL will have an East Division and West Division. The divisions will all be geographically aligned with the dividers likely being the Mississippi River and I-70. The league will attempt to fix what ailed MLB and will have revenue sharing between teams as well as salary caps to control spending. Likewise (if supported), there will be a salary floor that teams will have to be above to prevent owners from hording money earned through revenue sharing. Most other rules will be based off of MLB, such as 162 game schedules, mid-season All-Star games, etc. Cooperstown has already jumped on board to accept the APBL players into the Professional Baseball Hall of Fame.

Most teams will start with very few minor league affiliates, as many minor league teams kept operating independently in 1995 while the MLB was out of business and did not wish to immediately sign-on with the new league as it might not survive. The players remaining in the Independent Leagues, which will likely include some other former MLB players, will likely be poached in the early years as APBL teams look to add veteran leadership. Over time, the Independent League will become a place where the worst players will go because they will miss the boat on being affiliated teams as new minor league teams form with the APBL's success and growth.

Major cities that hosted MLB teams are likely to support APBL teams, but not guaranteed. Due to a dying interest in baseball as the NFL, NBA and NHL all rise in popularity, even the biggest cities will only be able to support a single team. Cities like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago will now find their fans united while cities like Charlotte, New Orleans, and even Memphis look to prosper from the misfortunes of MLB leaving other cities behind. At least one if not all AAA teams will be located in the same state as the Major League team, with AA, A and rookie teams coming from wherever they can get them.

In time, the APBL will look to expand keeping the same revenue sharing and salary cap ideas in place. With all records starting at 0, baseball history will literally be re-written from the ground up and then stand to be compared against a former era of a former league.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #49
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

ZouDave your league sounds cool. Did you do a dynasty on this scenario?

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #50
marc
Hall Of Famer

My Universe will have 16 leagues, I haven't given them exact names yet, though most will probably just be the name of the region that the teams are from. Here are the regions:

United States
Canada
Japan
South America
Central America
Carribean
Korea
Australia
Africa
Great Britain - includes Ireland
Scandanavian - Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland
Middle East
West Europe - Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, etc.
East Europe - Poland, Switzerland, Russia, etc.
Mediterranean - Italy, Greece, Portugal, etc.
South Asian - this one is tricky but will include China, India, Phillipines, etc.

I haven't come up with a backstory just yet and I'm not sure whether I'll control a team or not, I'm thinking I might but I'll see how I feel when the game comes out.

I'm working on league structures, team names, etc. as I type this and I'll be posting for logo and uniform help in the not too distant future.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this is more than welcome, I'm still in the planning stages.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #51
Matzilla
Minors (Double A)

I’ve actually been working (off & on) on my international league structure since last summer, in eager anticipation that our man Markus would make all things possible in the next version of OOTPB.

My "Baseball Universe" will be purely fictional, and ultimately designed to do little more than give my 2GB of RAM a thorough workout. Researching possible team nicknames for my Euro & Chinese teams was a hoot, but there's no room to post the ones I've chosen here.

If possible to schedule, some of the leagues will play in the summer, others in the winter (S. Hemishpere leagues). I don't know how well this will work in the actually game, but here's what I have so far:

Americas:
USA - 40 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 3 divisions each, 4 minors each team: Quality - MLB. Foreign-born players per team: Unlimited
Canada - 10 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 3 minors each team: Quality - MLB. Foreign-born players per team: Unlimited
Mexico - 18 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 2 divisions each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AAA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Cuba - 16 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 2 divisions each, 4 minors each team: Quality - MLB. Foreign-born players per team: 0
Venezuela - 16 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 3 divisions each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AAA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Columbia - 10 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 2 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 4
Argentina - 18 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 5
Brazil- 12 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 5

Europe
UK - 18 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 2 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Netherlands - 12 Major league teams: 1 league, 2 divisions, 2 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Germany - 28 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 2 divisions each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Italy - 18 Major league teams: 1 league, 3 divisions, 3 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
France - 20 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 2 divisions each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Spain - 18 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 divisions each, 2 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Scotland (If exists in-game) - 8 Major league teams: 1 league, 2 divisions, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 3

Asia
Japan - 12 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 division each, 4 minors each team: Quality - MLB. Foreign-born players per team: 4
South Korea - 10 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 division each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AAA. Foreign-born players per team: 3
Taiwan - 6 Major league teams: 1 league, 1 division, 3 minors each team: Quality - AAA. Foreign-born players per team: 3
China - 27 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 3 division each, 2 minors each team: Quality - AA. Foreign-born players per team: 2
India - 36 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 3 division each, 3 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 1
Pakistan- 12 Major league teams: 1 leagues, 2 divisions, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 0
Israel - 8 Major league teams: 1 leagues, 2 divisions, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 6

Oceania
Australia - 8 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 division each, 3 minors each team: Quality - AAA. Foreign-born players per team: 5
New Zealand - 5 Major league teams: 1 leagues, 1 division each, 1 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 3

Africa
South Africa - 10 Major league teams: 2 leagues, 1 division each, 3 minors each team: Quality - A. Foreign-born players per team: 6
Old 01-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #52
Matzilla
Minors (Double A)

One side note in relation to what I posted above: When I haphazardly thought through the different countries and leagues therein that I wanted to put in my game, I was optimistic that scheduling a “World Cup” type tournament would be possible. I thought it would be interesting to see all those countries showcase their respective talents once every four years in a knockdown, drag out tourney.

However, after perusing through some of Markus’ comments on this board, it doesn’t look like that will be possible. Bummer! Maybe I’ll scale back my international league structure since trying to calculate the appropriate financials for such a diverse array of economies would be a royal pain.

Last edited by Matzilla; 01-15-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Matzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #53
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

I like that format. Any chance you'll make this league public so I don't have to come up with all the names on my own?

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:22 AM   #54
Matzilla
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler
I like that format. Any chance you'll make this league public so I don't have to come up with all the names on my own?
Assuming you're addressing my post - If the interest is there, I don't see why not. I'd like to test it first when OOTPBM is released to make sure this is a workable format.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I can't help but to feel that I'm getting my hopes up too high for Markus' next masterpiece...and that's only because he's done such a great job thus far.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:41 AM   #55
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzilla
Assuming you're addressing my post - If the interest is there, I don't see why not. I'd like to test it first when OOTPBM is released to make sure this is a workable format.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I can't help but to feel that I'm getting my hopes up too high for Markus' next masterpiece...and that's only because he's done such a great job thus far.
I can't see how OOTP:BM wouldn't be able to accomodate the league you'e got planned. It seems much like how the leagues/countries are implemented in Football Manager.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #56
ZouDave
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
ZouDave your league sounds cool. Did you do a dynasty on this scenario?
I started to back in 2004, but work committments stole me away from it. I will probably do precisely that this year, though.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #57
Jestor
Hall Of Famer

I've been working on a universe for OOTPBM2K6 for a while now and I can't wait to unleash it.

How To Get A Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman
Mal might have a name file you could use.
Jestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #58
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestor
I've been working on a universe for OOTPBM2K6 for a while now and I can't wait to unleash it.
What a tease.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #59
Muppetus Galacticus
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuffleball
Being from West Virginia, [cough] Sugar Bowl Champions [/cough], I plan on creating my own professional league, the Mountaineer League (logo below). It will be a 10-team league playing a 126-game regular season schedule. The league's teams are cities in my beloved state. I am undecided on minor league levels or affiliations just yet, but I do know that I will be creating a 6-8 team independent league to also be playing. This league will be used primarily for aging players to still play and for the 'big' ML clubs to pick any good players out of

My idea is basically that baseball history to this point just never happened and leagues are more a state thing than a national thing. My focus will be solely on the Mountaineer League, though. All talent will have to be from West Virginia as well.

Mountaineer League Logo

Thanks!
Nice one. I had a West Virginia League in OOTP4/5 that kind of fell away from me. It was two leagues of four teams each and is an idea I want to go back to in OOTP:BM. Hope you give us an update when it's up and running

Reading this thread again is like reading a blog and I just have to ask - Is it Spring yet?!

My Sports Replay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met Police football club blow a late three goal lead
As for the Met, coming away from Essex with a point has to rank as one their biggest disappointments since failing to catch Jack The Ripper in the late 1800's.
Muppetus Galacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #60
scuffleball
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Nice one. I had a West Virginia League in OOTP4/5 that kind of fell away from me. It was two leagues of four teams each and is an idea I want to go back to in OOTP:BM. Hope you give us an update when it's up and running

Reading this thread again is like reading a blog and I just have to ask - Is it Spring yet?!
I am working on a website, actually, for the entire league, with city pictures, stadiums, etc. that will be centered around the HTML reports generated by the game engine. I've done a lot of 'number crunching' in my spare time and I have it figured to where the average player could make around $40,000 a season, so that will give me an idea about the salary cap ranges for the 10-teams. Of course, that assumes some kind of broadcast revenue

But I'm going for a plausible approach with stadiums, i.e. I have the Kanawha Valley Vipers (located in Charleston, the capital) playing in Appalachian Power Park (the actual stadium of the Sally League West Virginia Power). So I won't be using 20,000+ baseball parks for the teams, which I am REALLY looking forward to.

Kanawha Valley Vipers

I really think this game is going to allow us to create the leagues we've always dreamed of and also provide us with the structure to make them realistic
scuffleball is offline   Reply With Quote