Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
QuikSand
Bat Boy

International FAs - no defense?

I'm digging into my first international free agent group, and see a lot of pretty tempting batters... but to a man, each player has a defensive rating of 1 or 2 on a 20-point scale.

Known bug? (something we expect to get fixed)

Reporting error? (once they're being shown in the regular game they look different)

Or, is this "just how it is?" (tough luck, they just don't teach defense anywhere but 'Merica)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

I believe it's your scout seeing potential as a hitter and not being able to identify the position he will be best in
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
QuikSand
Bat Boy

Well, I took a pass for now. Seems strange, though... player after player look like they could be very useful, but each one has a 1,2, or 3 at each eligible position. That seems like a programming glitch, but I couldn't find it mentioned elsewhere here, so I assume I'm doing something wrong.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
QuikSand
Bat Boy

In my second round of internationals... here's what I'm seeing:

https://snag.gy/BPrjfG.jpg

Guy looks like a solid player overall (1-20 scale for everything), most of his non-batting ratings project into the 10-14 range. But all three outfield positions grade as 1-2 points out of 20 = total liability, right?

All my batters, across two international batches, have looked the same. Ordinary distribution of baserunning, arm, and defensive ratings -- but nearly zero in every position rating. I have looked in on a couple such guys taken by other teams last season, they still look this way.

Possibly a weird (bug) function by my using the 1-20 scale? Doesn't seem like it can be intentional, makes no sense to me,
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
In my second round of internationals... here's what I'm seeing:

What you're seeing is perfectly normal. This is a 16 year old kid with raw tools (note his Defensive Ratings not Position Ratings) but no experience playing outfield beyond save whatever he did as a kid in the Dominican Republic. As he ages and gains experience playing a position(s) as a pro those Position Ratings will get higher. Kids drafted out of high school will show similar very low ratings for their position because compared to a pro they have no experience. If this kid develops it'll be five years or so before you even invite him to Spring Training. Be patient, developing teenagers into Major League players takes time.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #6
Mat
All Star Reserve

Yep, perfectly normal. The kid just needs time and experience!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I guess what I am confused about from the original post is that you refer to International Free Agents. But the player you have given us an image of appears to be an international scouting discovery.
These are two very different things.

I am wondering if you actually have international free agents entering your free agent pool who are established players in leagues outside of the U.S. and whether they are showing the same lack of positional experience? Because that would be odd. But you refer to a second international batch, which is puzzling to me. Because that does in fact sound like international free agents, not scouting discoveries. Perhaps something in your settings is very different than mine.

Which is all a rather long winded way of saying that I completely agree with Curve Ball Dave but I'm also wondering how a 16-year old kid is an international free agent, if that is indeed what is happening.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I guess what I am confused about from the original post is that you refer to International Free Agents. But the player you have given us an image of appears to be an international scouting discovery.
These are two very different things.
He's in July during the International FA signing period. There's established IFAs that are available to sign during the offseason in a standard game. Then there's the IFAs that are just 16-17 year old kids you sign in the middle of the season, which are on the same level as the random scouting discoveries you make over the course of a year. That one isn't a scouting discovery as he is still a free agent and not signed.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

A 16 year old can be an international free agent. The kids go on the market typically at the beginning of July. Established veterans go on the market in November when the rest of the free agents declare. Regardless of where or when, a teenager will have minimal position ratings.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Ah, interesting.
Thanks dbqs and Curve Ball Dave.
I have not seen this so I was unaware.
(Hmm, am I missing out on some good players? )
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Position ratings mean nothing.

Fielding and Running rating mean everything (not including hitting). Any running rating will rarely improve.

Fielding rating is a big chance if they have like extremely low fielding rating you have to wait for them to pop. And maybe they never will. So that means there bat has to be good enough for 1B or DH.

Position rating is based upon those fielding ratings plus experience. You only gain experience in some kind of "professional" baseball. Not the "International Complex"
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #12
QuikSand
Bat Boy

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for my loose terminology.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

Position rating is based upon those fielding ratings plus experience. You only gain experience in some kind of "professional" baseball. Not the "International Complex"

From what I understand players at the International Complex do develop. If they have any talent they'll be in Rookie ball by the time they're 18 anyway.