Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Future Idea: Olympic Games from OOTP

Hope this is the right forum to post this to:

AFAIK, there aren't any Summer/Winter Olympic Games simulation games out there and who better to do one than OOTP Development?

How cool would it be to manage the 1984 US Mens 4X100m Gold Medalist team of Carl Lewis, Ron Brown, Sam Graddy, and Calvin Smith (?)?

To be honest, I'm not sure how well/practical this concept would work in reality (Olympic Games as a PC sim) but just got the idea watching old Track & Field races from the Olympic and World Games in Helsinki on YouTube.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
madjac74
Minors (Double A)

what exactly would you manage?
madjac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjac74 View Post
what exactly would you manage?
Well the more I thought about it, the more impractical the whole thing seems. One problem is that the events only happen every 4 years. Also, I don't think it would be as "stat-driven" like other sports (excluding things like 'times' and distances) like baseball or football so it's not known how well a pc simulation would apply to it, if at all.

To answer your question: I'm not sure either. This is one of those conceptual ideas that just may not work in reality. The closest thing to an Olympic games simulator was (from what I could find researching Google) appears to be London 2012 but I've never played it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
Well the more I thought about it, the more impractical the whole thing seems. One problem is that the events only happen every 4 years. Also, I don't think it would be as "stat-driven" like other sports (excluding things like 'times' and distances) like baseball or football so it's not known how well a pc simulation would apply to it, if at all.

To answer your question: I'm not sure either. This is one of those conceptual ideas that just may not work in reality. The closest thing to an Olympic games simulator was (from what I could find researching Google) appears to be London 2012 but I've never played it.
It doesn't have to be every four years. Customization !

But also there are so many competitions between the Olympics, you could manage each of those events as well.

I think something that has you as this (fictional?) General Manager of a countries Olympic-type competition sports would be really cool.

You could watch track heats, see the results, select the top runners to run at top competitions and pick your group for the Olympics. All of this while runners are competing in simulated heats in college or whatever else goes on.

Or you could manage individual sports like women's gymnastics. Do all of the same stuff. Read results. Picks teams. Is one girl's ability to vault better than anyone worthy of giving her an Olympic spot over a more versatile girl? Stuff like that.

I like the idea. Could be deep. Could be impossible to develop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

yeah, most definitely an interesting idea, but a really hard concept to pull of correctly, since every Olympic sport has it's nuances. I would definitely buy for more than $100 if done right however.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH View Post
It doesn't have to be every four years. Customization !

But also there are so many competitions between the Olympics, you could manage each of those events as well.

I think something that has you as this (fictional?) General Manager of a countries Olympic-type competition sports would be really cool.

You could watch track heats, see the results, select the top runners to run at top competitions and pick your group for the Olympics. All of this while runners are competing in simulated heats in college or whatever else goes on.

Or you could manage individual sports like women's gymnastics. Do all of the same stuff. Read results. Picks teams. Is one girl's ability to vault better than anyone worthy of giving her an Olympic spot over a more versatile girl? Stuff like that.

I like the idea. Could be deep. Could be impossible to develop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What he said! That's what I was missing; someone who can flesh out the nuts and bolts of the concept. To make it sound practical. I like it.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
yeah, most definitely an interesting idea, but a really hard concept to pull of correctly, since every Olympic sport has it's nuances. I would definitely buy for more than $100 if done right however.
+1. I've dropped more money on lesser games in the past so I too would easily pay good money for an OOTP Baseball level sim.
If anyone could pull it off though, these guys (the OOTP team) could.