Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
zenzuu
Bat Boy

stuff rating

what does that exactly mean?
zenzuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Johnny Slick
Banned

I've always interpreted it as how much "stuff" a pitcher has on all his pitches. A guy who throws a fastball that dips and doodles all over the place will generally confuse batters a lot more than a guy with a 95mph heater that just goes straight to the plate. Movement at least in my mind is how well the pitcher moves the pitches about the strike zone.

In any case, the effects on the game are as follows: Stuff increases a pitcher's chance of striking a batter out and, by proxy, lowers his chances of giving up a hit. I think Markus also coded into the game that a pitcher with a high Stuff rating will also allow fewer hits per balls put into play. And, as with all three of the ratings, there's some bleed-over; stuff also affects, to a small degree, how many walks and homeruns a pitcher gives up.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Vris
Hall Of Famer

A smaller degree, as Control and Movement deal more with the walks and homeruns, respectively.

I find Stuff to be the most important rating, in my eyes. You can even see this in real life, as a player with a lot of "stuff" on his pitches will be the most successful.

Blog it.
Vris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
UngratefulDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
I've always interpreted it as how much "stuff" a pitcher has on all his pitches. A guy who throws a fastball that dips and doodles all over the place will generally confuse batters a lot more than a guy with a 95mph heater that just goes straight to the plate. Movement at least in my mind is how well the pitcher moves the pitches about the strike zone.
That's how I always figured it. Guys with high velocity fastballs but low stuff just don't have any movement, a la Jorge Sosa in real life.
UngratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngratefulDead
That's how I always figured it. Guys with high velocity fastballs but low stuff just don't have any movement, a la Jorge Sosa in real life.
I had always heard that Baltimore's Ben McDonald would have done much better and given up a lot fewer home runs if he had had some movement on his fastball...it was just too straight.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Fibonacci
Minors (Triple A)

I've struggled with the same question, trying to figurre out exactly what "Stuff" does in OOTP. My exhaustive searches of this forum has come up with the following 2 effects of "stuff": FIrst of all, Stuff (primary rating) & good velocity & good control = more strikeouts. Secondly, Stuff also effects hits against the pitcher.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
Khan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vris
I find Stuff to be the most important rating, in my eyes. You can even see this in real life, as a player with a lot of "stuff" on his pitches will be the most successful.
I agree. Most of the time I find Pitchers with good stuff will put up good numbers even if poorly rated in the areas. However, the opposite isn't always necessarily true.
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
sebastian0622
Banned

Stuff mainly affects K's, and the OBP for batters who strike out is .000, so it's easy to see how it is important. It does also effect BABIP--or how many out of the balls hit into play fall in for hits.

I'll dissent from the majority who say that stuff is the most important rating. I personally weight movement as the most important in modern-era leagues. I kind of treat control and stuff as an inversely proportional relationship. If stuff is high enough, I worry less about control and vice versa. As long as the two combine to be respectable, there won't be too many guys on base.

sebastian0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 AM   #9
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian0622
Stuff mainly affects K's, and the OBP for batters who strike out is .000, so it's easy to see how it is important. It does also effect BABIP--or how many out of the balls hit into play fall in for hits.

I'll dissent from the majority who say that stuff is the most important rating. I personally weight movement as the most important in modern-era leagues. I kind of treat control and stuff as an inversely proportional relationship. If stuff is high enough, I worry less about control and vice versa. As long as the two combine to be respectable, there won't be too many guys on base.

I agree. I rate them: Movement, Control, and Stuff in that order.