Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Old 04-30-2003, 11:25 AM   #41
CubsSox
Minors (Triple A)

How about being able to move to a new stadium or add seats to your current stadium?

I always thought the economic system was biased towards the teams with larger stadiums.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #42
I Am The Game
All Star Reserve

You can do all that stadium stuff yourself easily.
I Am The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:18 PM   #43
Plutoro
Minors (Triple A)

spring training games.
Plutoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #44
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Might as well add this here too.

I'd like to see home field advantage get put in. As it stands now, each team's home and away records are completely randomized; there is no appreciable benefit to playing at one's home park (other than for the revenue from attendance). This is rather unrealistic.

There is a definite home field advantage in baseball, and though the value is not huge, it is there. Over 80% of all MLB teams in the 20th century have finished with better home records than road records. You'll never see this in OOTP - the figure will be right around the 50% "random" value, which is far too low. As a result it means each team's home and away record is really meaningless.

The big question is how could this be factored in. Someone else had suggested simply raising the home team's batting a few points and lowering the batting of the visiting team's players a few points; this sounds like a workable solution to me. I'd suggest perhaps also including slightly better fielding for the home team players and slightly poorer fielding for the visiting team, since the home team will be far more familiar with their field's layout than the visiting team would (i.e. foul territory, the way a ball might bounce in the outfield corners, etc.)

The stats overall would still come out right, but now we'd at least get to see realistic looking home and away records each year, which is certainly not the case at present.

This more realistic home performance could have an affect on attendances as well. A mediocre team than can at least win a good number of games for the home town crowd might draw a little better than a similar team that just can't ever seem to win at home, for example.

I think it's time for the home field to get at least a little bit of the credit it deserves.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #45
SanDiegoPadres19
All Star Reserve

Too many of these to read so i will just post something that is really needed in my opinon.

After making a trade, the game automaticlly goes back to the standings screen, if at all possible can we make it go back to the trade screen?
  • (As Matt Williams took a curtain call after hitting a home run) "Barry Bonds gets a standing ovation as he digs in."
  • (Following the second out) ".. and the Padres win the National League Wes... oh, just got a little exicted."
Internet Sim Baseball League, Lo$ Angele$ Dodger$
ISBL Fictional Blog
SanDiegoPadres19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:27 AM   #46
Tullius
Minors (Triple A)

My wish:
One leagues with playoffs and a really champion and All-Star-Game between divisions in these leagues.
Tullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:05 AM   #47
mtw
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Grande Orange
The big question is how could this be factored in. Someone else had suggested simply raising the home team's batting a few points and lowering the batting of the visiting team's players a few points; this sounds like a workable solution to me. I'd suggest perhaps also including slightly better fielding for the home team players and slightly poorer fielding for the visiting team, since the home team will be far more familiar with their field's layout than the visiting team would (i.e. foul territory, the way a ball might bounce in the outfield corners, etc.)
I'm a big fan of home field advantage, and I have two suggestions, starting with a cheap shot. One is too get rid of the silly "anti-win streak" factor implemented during v4. The one implemented because a few people apparently were concerned that their All-Star teams were winning too many games. Pitchers for teams on 5+ game win streaks would suffer a "small penalty" to their performance to reflect the "pressure" of pitching during a win streak (which is probably as opposite of reality as it gets--players, both pitchers and hitters tend to perform better when their team is winning games; one feeds the other--winning improves confidence which improves performance, improved performance contributes to winning). Take this "anti-streak" effect and put it on the pitchers when pitching on the road to create a "home field" advantage, which is a time-tested reality. Or just get rid of the anti-streak effect entirely and do something else for home field advantage.

How about building a home field advantage into each stadium, perhaps creating a rating for the effect on opposing team fielding and home team hitting, say from "None" to "Significant". Stadiums are already customized for offensive output, so I'm sure such a thing would be possible. Such a rating would allow for a team's home field advantage to be "customized". I would argue though that the overall impact of either rating should not be huge, and even at the most "significant" levels should be only be barely perceptable.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #48
ZouDave
Major Leagues

there's a thread on the main board about this:
http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...threadid=33390

I'd like to see AA ratings for defense/speed/steals/etc for EXCEPTIONALLY rare cases. OOTP should generate a player like this once every 10-20 years (for each respective rating, perhaps each respective position). The example they use, Ozzie Smith, is the perfect reason to have such a thing. A guy like that wins the Gold Glove almost every year...because they're legendary at defense.

Having a AA speed/steals rating could also give you that player that can make a run at Rickey Henderson-type SB numbers. This separates a guy like Henderson from, say, Johnny Damon. Damon is certainly a gifted base stealer, and one of the best in the leauge *currently*...but he's not even on the radar of a Rickey Henderson.

And maybe, just maybe, you get a starting pitcher that ends up with a AA endurance rating this is ALSO a brilliant talent...and you end up with someone who goes out and throws 20+ CG every year.

The best thing about this being random is that a guy could end up being a AA shortstop...but have crap ability at hitting. You get a guy that is AA at something AND is also good enough to make the roster anyway...you've got something special.

The more I think about this...the better the idea sounds.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #49
ZouDave
Major Leagues

Three other things that crossed my mind:

1 - Add a "Financial Advisor" or something to your staff, and this person will automatically adjust ticket prices at he sees fit and will schedule promotional days for you. You could make him like a scout, with varying abilities on judging when is the right time to raise/lower prices as well as when to schedule promotional days. He could even give you advice on contracts, if you wanted him to.

2 - Has it been mentioned yet that there should be an option for AI teams to have to keep a fully functional minors system, rather than having like 11 players in AAA?

3 - There should be a way to improve a players' fielding pct at his position. Currently, if you work on someone's defense in spring training, it only improves their range. If I have a SS with a FPct of .922, I don't really care if he's D range or C range...I'm not gonna use him at SS anyway.

Last edited by ZouDave; 05-01-2003 at 03:33 PM.
ZouDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:35 PM   #50
mtw
All Star Reserve

The three areas of improvement I'd like to see in OOTP5 are:
1) Record keeping
2) The played game
3) AI roster management

I have a lot to say on these topics, so I will address them in separate post to make it more readable and coherent.

Record Keeping
IMO, OOTP needs a much deeper and robust record keeping system. Being able to look back on the history of a league to me is one of if not the most enjoyable aspect of career play. The Almanac system was a huge and very welcome step forward to this end, easily allowing a detailed look back at an individual season. However, OOTP still falls short in comparative history. Many "important" records are entirely absent from OOTP5 and those that are kept are limited, to only one person in the case of single season records.

Also, while the player career pages have been much improved from v4, to include more "important" information, there is still some other "important" career information missing. The formatting of a the player history page also could use some improvement.

Itemized suggestions for improving record keeping:

1) Put single season league records in the same system as career leaders and make the list go no less than 20 deep. Personally, I would welcome an even longer list. Perhaps an alternate (and additional, not in lieu of the former) decade-by-decade list would be fun too. Make sure year is included as part of each entry. Include hitting streaks, scoreless inning streaks, pitcher win/loss streaks.

2) Add a leaguewide "Team Records" section, to include team totals records and single game team records. Put this in the career leaders format. Which team hit the most home runs in a season? Which team stole the most bases? What was the most runs scored in a game? What team was the most HR's in a game?--that sort of thing. 20 deep (or longer) would be nice. Include team wins, losses, winning streaks, losing streaks, etc.

3) Add a records section for each individual team to look at both individual performance records and team totals records, with the same information and in the same format as described in 1 & 2.

4) Expand the career leaders lists to include more players, or at least provide a customizable option for expanding the list similar to the League Leaders section (i.e. 10, 15, 30, 50 100). Also, include many more categories; for hitters include OBP, SLG, OPS, strikeouts, games played, at bats, home run%, runs created, pinch hits, pinch hit HR's, extra base hits; for pitchers, games pitched, games started, innings pitched, win %, save %, losses, hits allowed, walks allowed, WHIP, opponent AVG, opponent OBP, opponent SLG, home runs allowed.

5) Add option to look at career leaders position by position.

6) Add career fielding leaders section, with the same depth and breadth described above. I.e., position by position, putouts, assists, total chances, fielding %, RTO %, PB, range, errors, defensive innings. At least 25 deep and both single season and career should be included.

7) Player history: expand to include career fielding numbers and career lefty/righty splits.

8) Many more noteworthy single game achievements should be tracked, both as entries in Player History, in a league history section similar to no-hitters, and also as career totals. For hitters, include 4+ HR's (separate from 3+ HR's), cycles, grand slams, 7+ RBI's in game, 5+ runs in game, 5+ SB's in game. For pitchers, one-hitters. Add different viewing opitions for these and the already included "noteworthy game" events (No-hitters, 3+ HR's, 6+ hits in game,15+K's) to include viewing in Alphabetical order with career totals and dates and team vs. Ex.:

3+ HR's in game:

Joe Muscles (3): 4/18/03 vs. CIN; 8/20/05 vs. LA; 6/15/06 vs. NY

and also viewing by sorted total, ex:

50+ HR's:

73 Barry Bonds (SF), 2001
70 Mark McGwire (STL), 1998
66 Sammy Sosa (CHN), 1998

9) Do the same thing as 8 for the already included season achievements (50+ HR's, 20+ wins). Add 300+ strikeouts, 75+ SB's, 120+ (100+) runs, 120+ (100+) RBI's, 200+ hits, .350+ (.300+) AVG. The Runs, RBI's, AVG would be nice to see at the lower number, which is the typical becnhmark for these categories, but it would become very cumbersome in chronological order. Perhaps being able to have separate lists for chronological and career achievements in these and single-season categories.

10) Add "trade splits" to player career numbers. I know this has been requested numerous times in the past, but...

11) Add entry for any league records set to player history.

12) Sort Player History . Include separate categories for injuries, single game achievements (perhaps sorted into different categories the way is currently done with single season leader entires), awards, league records set, bio info, and perhaps a catch-all for other info which can also be used to include the player histories of players in exisitng leagues when this sorting feature is finally implemented. Please give us this one ASAP.

13) All single game achievements in the League Almanac (3+ HR, 6+ hits, 15+ K's, No-hitters, plus the ones I included above should list the team against which the player achieved the mark, ex. (No-Hitter) 6/1/1950, Bob Rocket (NYA), vs CHA, 6K 3BB (W, 8-0). Include decision and final score (as shown) for pitching achievements.

14) Add ability to actually view team vs team records, which apparently OOTP tracks (as seen in in-game PbP).

15) Add range to fielding League Leader categories. Already calculated on player sheets, just need to add to league leaders.

16) Add ability to view standings on any given day during season. I.e. on Sept 1, if I want to know how where a team is in relation to where it was on July 1. Also, add ability to view month by month team won/loss records.

Wow, I didn't relaize this would be so long. Yeesh, my other wish list categories are even longer. I think I'll take a break and post them later...

Last edited by mtw; 05-01-2003 at 03:38 PM.
mtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:28 PM   #51
Shorty
All Star Reserve

id like to see managers being able to be signed so i could have some competition... i want to see the sparky andersons, lou pinellas that i am managing against!!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 PM   #52
Chitown3304
Minors (Single A)

I would like to see auto expansion or something like that....
Make another A ball level or Rookie ball for the guys that use the June draft like it is done in the majors.............. Waviers........ 40 Man rosters.....Rule 5 Draft.........
Chitown3304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:19 PM   #53
PoisonMaddux
Minors (Double A)

2 brief considerations

- 32 All-Stars per league, instead of 25 (perhaps customizeable)

- All-Star winner with home field advantage in the WS
Old 05-01-2003, 10:53 PM   #54
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I support everything mtw just said whole heartedly - those are pretty much what I was going to suggest. Team records are a great thing to see, especially for those of us who sim out 100 years for team history.

Who is the all-time leader in Boston hits? Well, let's go look it up....

One thing I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned is in say the No-Hitters tracking page if someone has set the option for individual game logs to be tracked and for the Almanac to keep all box scores, then the No-Hitters tracker will link each game listed to their real box score/game log.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:56 PM   #55
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

So basically it seems we all want everything Major League Baseball has and all the stats tracked....in this one little (albiet great) game. Now do it!
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:31 AM   #56
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelric
So basically it seems we all want everything Major League Baseball has and all the stats tracked....in this one little (albiet great) game. Now do it!
LOL
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #57
Brian G
Bat Boy

I love this game and it is so close to being a perfect game. A few things that I would like to have changed are:

- Position players should improve or decline in fielding pct.
- PBP should be editable so the community can design the PBP
- Players should have options
- GM's and managers should hae different tendencies. They should play to the strength of their parks
- Should have a GM and a manager editor so the community can make their own GM's and managers
- When importing players, we should be able to see their career stats off the bat so we can decide what ratings to adjust them to.

Just a few suggestions that I think would improve this game. But I love it the way it is so these would be like icing.

Brian
Old 05-02-2003, 12:58 PM   #58
ZouDave
Major Leagues

another quick thought...there should be an option to throw at a player. This would obviously have a VERY high tendency to get your pitcher tossed out of the game, but it should be there. It would serve as much purpose as being able to argue a call right now, except that this way you can actually feel better if you're particularly angry with an opposing player/team.

Plus, I just gave up 3 homers to one guy in a game...and I REALLY would like to be able to bean that bastard in his next AB!!!

Seriously, though...I think "Bean Ball" should be an option.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM   #59
Linenoise
Minors (Double A)

I would love to see hyperlinked names in the player history report.

I love to see how well other players are doing (or not doing)that I tradeed for. It is sometimes clunky to try to look at each individual player that you traded away and would make it alot easier if a HTML page popped-up instead.

Another thing I would like (Some may not like this as it is a little dark) But if for career ending injuries you could add "plane crash" or something like that. My leagues never have those ill fated players like Thurmond Munson or Roberto Clemente
Linenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #60
I Am The Game
All Star Reserve

You can edit injuries yourself in the injury.txt file.
I Am The Game is offline   Reply With Quote