Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #201
tward13
All Star Starter

Niiiiiiiice touch. Good to have Patrick's story back with us again.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 AM   #202
k0ruptr
Bat Boy

wow. amazing read. cant wait for more
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #203
William4192
All Star Starter

I'm not through everything that is already written, but this is a great thread!!!!

Come check out the PBA.

http://www.pioneerbaseballassociation.com
Or email at pbacommish@pioneerbaseballassociation.com
William4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #204
William4192
All Star Starter

I just got to the part about a passing of one of your students. I'm very sorry to hear that.

Come check out the PBA.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #205
William4192
All Star Starter

I think it would be funny if late in their careers, Hitt gets traded to the Red Sox and Hitt starts something with O'Farrell where they really don't like each other. Then after their careers Hitt manages the Reds with Ole' Pat managing the Red Sox. That is the "perfect" ending!

Come check out the PBA.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #206
William4192
All Star Starter

We need more Bill Carrigan updates. I've been known to "latch" on to secondary characters, but I feel so bad for Ole' Bill. He is an all-star waiting to happen, but the "evil" managment has kept him as a backup. We want more Bill!

In all seriousness, if you have time, keep us updated with Bill more. I always wonder what is going through the guys head. He is starting material for sure.

Come check out the PBA.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #207
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've had Pat's story going for about a year now, off and on...more off than I'd like, but still, it's something I've had a lot of fun with for quite some time now.

I don't plan on ending the story until Pat's career comes to a close, and then, if I'm still interested, perhaps he'll develop an interest in managing. Or, his son will demonstrate some of his dad's baseball talent...or both!

I have secondary plot lines featuring a couple of Pat's teammates in the planning stages, actually, and one of them, in fact, features my favorite supporting actor, Bill Carrigan. So if you're a fan of his, William, hopefully you'll have fun following it.

Thanks again for your support of my replay!

The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell: 2014 inductee, OOTP Dynasty Hall of Fame

Kenilworth: A Town and its Team: fun with a fictional league
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:03 PM   #208
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Rough's Rooters

Boston Herald, September 18, 1915

From the daily Red Sox column:

Recent games at Fenway Park have been enlivened by a group of rooters who have set up shop in the grandstand, along the first base line. They have selected as their particular favorite "Rough" Bill Carrigan, the veteran catcher. "Rough's Rooters," as they have been dubbed, sometimes appear at the game draped in the colors of the College of the Holy Cross, Bill's alma mater.

One of them, who gave his name as William, explained their support thusly: "A couple of the fellows know Carrigan from their Holy Cross days, and another was a boy in Worcester when Carrigan played for the Holy Cross nine. The rest of us just appreciate the way he plays the game, I guess."

Carrigan says he enjoys the support his "fans" give him. "What player wouldn't like to hear people cheering for him? It makes me feel like bearing down that much harder."

Carrigan has joined Bob Peterson to form a stellar backstop tandem for the past several seasons. He is actually hitting for a higher average than the regular man, Peterson, .316 to .304. Carrigan has driven in 17 runs, which gives the Bostons nearly 100 RBI from its catchers this season.

"Sure, we'd like to see him play more," 'William' said of Carrigan. "Perhaps he'd be an All-Star like Peterson if he played as often as Bob does."

Red Sox management has to be a bit concerned about the lack of progress shown by George "Babe" Ruth, the much-heralded young pitcher/outfielder. Playing mostly in the outfield, Ruth completed his season at Providence in the throes of a slump that lowered his batting average below the .200 mark. He also struck out at an alarming frequency, fanning 122 times in 460 at-bats.

"You have to remember Ruth was one of the youngest men in his league," Manager Jimmy Collins remarked. "He played with very fast company for a twenty-year-old."

Perhaps this is so, but one must also remember that in '07, Pat O'Farrell hit .331 at Providence, and made his debut in Boston before he bid goodbye to his "teens." And while Tris Speaker hit only .229 at the same age in '08, he did so while playing regularly in Boston, not in Providence.

The experts who believe Ruth will one day be as bright a star as Speaker or O'Farrell may turn out to be correct. I hope they do, but for now, the enthusiasm surrounding "Babe" must be tempered with a large dose of caution.

The Base Ball Life of Patrick O'Farrell: 2014 inductee, OOTP Dynasty Hall of Fame

Last edited by Big Six; 04-10-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #209
William4192
All Star Starter

Dear "Rough" Bill,

As your biggest fan and president of your fan club, I must insist on Mr. Collins giving you more at bats and more time behind the plate. I have been coming to every game and sitting (and actually starting) in the section now called the "Rough Rooters". We just want you to know that we think you are the best and are glad to see back in "the big show". Even if you are in a supporting role, we feel like you help the team win every day. Good luck to you and your family!

Best Wishes,

William

President of the Bill Carrigan Fan Club
Editor of the Rough Rooters Newsletter

Come check out the PBA.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #210
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Secret

September 25, 1915

Dear Pat,

I wanted to write you a very quick letter, the contents of which must absolutely remain secret for the time being. I am sure the reason for my secrecy will be very clear to you by the time you read much farther.

As you are no doubt aware, for the past months, my relationship with your teammate, Mr. Wood, has become closer. About two weeks ago, he asked Dad for his permission to ask for my hand, and received Dad's blessing. This weekend, while I was in Boston attending your game, he proposed marriage to me, and I accepted.

Joe and I have decided that we will keep the news of our engagement a secret until after the conclusion of the World Series. I would not want any of the rooters to fear that Joe's mind is fixed on anything other than helping the Red Sox win another championship. Were he to pitch poorly, no doubt some wisecracker would conclude that I was to blame somehow for distracting him, and Joe did not want to put me in that sort of position.

Naturally, we would like you and Sarah to take part in our wedding. And, between us, Joe is planning to ask several of the other Red Sox to participate as well.

Besides Joe and myself, Mom and Dad are the only other people who are aware of this; you may tell Sarah, of course, but please, no one else!

I will be watching anxiously to see which National League club will oppose you in the Series. Do you have a preference between Cincinnati or New York? For my part, I would as soon see the Giants win the National League. I have seen enough of Mason, Hitt, and the other Reds pitchers.

I must go now...please keep my secret!

Your loving sister,
Emily

Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #211
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Playoff time

New York Times, September 26, 1915

NATIONAL LEAGUE PLAYOFF TO-DAY
Giants Host Reds, Attempting to End Cincinnati's Pennant String

NEW YORK--The Polo Grounds will be packed to the rafters this afternoon for a single game to decide the champions of the National League for 1915.

The Cincinnati Reds, winners of the last five pennants, face the most significant challenge of their reign, as the New York Giants have played them to a flat-footed tie over the course of the 154-game regular season. Both clubs have won 97 games, and the squad that wins its 98th today will face the Boston Red Sox, runaway winners of the American League flag, in the World Series.

The Reds send to the mound today Jean Dubuc, winner of 20 games for four consecutive seasons. Dubuc has a sparkling ERA of 2.36 this season, and such is the strength of the Reds' mound corps that Jean is not regarded as its ace. He is but one member of the Great Triumverate, along with Del Mason and Roy Hitt. This season, Mason has been the biggest winner, pacing the National League with 28 victories.

The Giants will counter with Big Jeff Tesreau, victorious two dozen times on the season. The strength of the New York club, however, has rested in its offensive attack. Third sacker Tillie Shafer, catcher Roger Bresnahan, and first baseman Art Wilson possess the pop to counter the pitching might of the Reds moundsmen. Shafer's most notable accomplishments include his .373 batting mark and his 90 stolen bases, best in the majors again. Bresnahan has swatted to a .336 tune and driven in 87 runs, while Wilson has pounded home 112 runners.

The powerful Red Sox await the winners of to-day's game, and Manager Jimmy Collins has said he has no preference concerning the team his squad will face. "Both Cincinnati and New York have outstanding teams. We have scouted each of them, and whichever team wins will be awfully tough to beat."

(Note: The Giants defeated the Reds, 6-0. Tesreau pitched a sparkling 3-hit shutout, walking one and striking out four. Shafer sparked the winnners' attack, going 3-5 with a double, two runs scored, and the requisite stolen base. Tesreau helped his own cause by doubling in a run as well.)

Last edited by Big Six; 04-14-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #212
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations again

220 Park Avenue
South Bend, Indiana

October 10, 1915

Mr. Patrick O'Farrell
84 Westland Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts

Dear Pat,

Before too much time passed, I wanted to write to you and congratulate you on yet another World Series victory. What is it, five rings now? I am sure you have not tired of the thrill of such an achievement yet, as every season is so much different.

I must admit, however, that I was pleasantly surprised to see you fellows dispatch the Giants so easily. After your classic battles with the Reds, settling a Series in five games must have seemed unusual. And the way you and your teammates handled the lumber! Twenty runs in Game Three, and eighteen more in Game Four? I thought at first the local paper had misprinted the score.

I can only imagine what it must be like to play behind Joe Wood when he is at his best, as he was in the opening game. What did he have, thirteen strikeouts and only one walk, and only two hits allowed? That makes his performance in the game that sewed up the Series seem almost mundane by comparison, since he allowed the Giants to score twice.

Congratulations on your individual performance, too. I suppose thirteen hits would have been too much to ask of you in a five-game series, so I suppose we shall have to settle for eight. All ribbing aside, you and the other fellows have a right to look back on your achievements with a tremendous amount of pride.

I see where Carrigan had another good year backing up Peterson. You see him occasionally during the off-season, don't you? I know he lives not too far from Boston. When you see him next, make sure to tell him hello for me, will you? Hopefully Bill will remember me.

How are Sarah and your children? I hear you have added a son to your family; congratulations on that happy development! Have you learned if the little man throws with his right hand or his left yet? Mary and I have three now, two boys and a girl. Young Frank will be five in March, and he is already a base ball fan. Of course, his favorite team is the Red Sox, and I shall see to it that this remains the case.

Once again, my friend, congratulations on your accomplishments of the past season. I hope to see you when you play in Chicago this spring, and perhaps the family might make a trip to Boston soon. Until then, I remain

Your ball-playing pal,
Frank

Old 04-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #213
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

1915 statistics

Here are the numbers for Pat's 1915 season:

Code:
               G  AB H  2B 3B HR RBI  R BB  K   AVG  OBP  SLG   OPS 
Home          74 263 85 14  8  4  50 57 53 22  .323 .438 .483  .920 
Road          74 269 94 16 12  0  37 66 68 25  .349 .481 .498  .979 

March/April   26  94 34  4  6  0  13 25 28 13  .362 .504 .532 1.036 
May           26  82 24  3  0  1  11 17 24  9  .293 .458 .366  .824 
June          23  82 32  7  1  0  11 24 18  5  .390 .505 .500 1.005 
July          25  91 25  3  3  1  14 17 19 10  .275 .402 .407  .808 
August        27 101 32  7  7  1  22 22 21  6  .317 .439 .554  .993 
Sept/Oct      21  82 32  6  3  1  16 18 11  4  .390 .453 .573 1.026 
Postseason     5  18  8  4  0  0   6  4  2  2  .444 .500 .667 1.167

This season Pat was more productive on the road than he was at home. No commentary on Sarah's cooking intended, however. Perhaps little Michael kept him awake at night sometimes.

Pat was named the American League's Player of the Month for September, the second such award of his career.

Here are the season totals, plus his career line to date:

Code:
Year     G    AB   H   2B  3B  HR  RBI   R   BB   K  SB  CS  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS  Teams 
1915    148  532  179  30  20   4   87  123 121  47  82  25 .336 .460 .491 .951  BOS,AL 
Total  1147 4232 1406 254 136  44  692  829 739 651 456 104 .332 .432 .488 .919
Pat was all over the leader boards, too:

BA: 7th
OBP: 1st
SLG: 1st
OPS: 1st (by 52 pts. over Tris Speaker)
Runs Created: 1st
RC/27 outs: 1st (by 1.62 runs !! over Speaker)
Plate appearances: 4th
Hits: 1st
2B: 2nd
3B: 1st
HR: 10th
RBI: T-6th
R: 1st
SB: 1st (new American League record)
BB: 1st
Extra base hits: 1st
Total bases: 2nd

Speaker won his second straight Batter of the Year award, but certainly from a sabermetric perspective, Pat was a more productive offensive player than his teammate.

Not a bad one-two punch, though, is it?

Last edited by Big Six; 06-06-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #214
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Trade winds

Boston Post, November 11, 1915

FOUR PLAYERS CHANGE THEIR SOX
Peterson, Jansen To Chicago; Paddock, Judge To Boston

BOSTON--Not content to rest on its laurels after winning its third consecutive World Series, the Boston American League club made a trade with the Chicago White Sox yesterday.

The biggest name in the deal was All-Star Bob Peterson, who had been coveted by the Chicagos for some time. The Red Sox, in return, had wanted 21-year-old first sacker Joe Judge, one of the most brilliant prospects in all of base ball.

The Chicago club, however, was unwilling to part with Judge unless Boston sweetened the pot. When the Red Sox offered to send along third baseman Ray Jansen, the White Sox agreed to the trade, and sent along Del Paddock to plug Boston's new hole at third base.

Boston will now turn back to a familiar face for the lion's share of work behind the dish. Bill Carrigan, who has backed up Peterson ably for several seasons now, will return to regular duty. Carrigan possesses many of the skills that make Peterson one of the best backstops in base ball, including a sharp batting eye.

Paddock will bring more speed and the ability to get on base to the Boston lineup, while Judge will continue his seasoning in Providence.

"I believe this trade will help our club," Red Sox manager Jimmy Collins said last night. "Peterson and Jansen have been big parts of our recent success, but you have to give up good players to get good players."

(I'll admit that I wouldn't have spent nearly as much time working out the trade with the White Sox if it wasn't going to open up a spot for Carrigan...*grin* )

Last edited by Big Six; 04-16-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:45 AM   #215
Level
Minors (Rookie Ball)

thats awesome that carrigan now gets the starting nod in beantown. i have to say that the patty o'farrell story is something that brightens my day every time you make a new post. also i have to say that the ootp series is truly a phenomenal game when we can get storylines like this to accompany the game.
Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #216
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Level!

That's what I like best about OOTP, really. I play a couple other baseball games, on board and computer (can I say that here?), but OOTP is unique in its ability to make an extended story like this one possible.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #217
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Wedding bells

Boston Globe, January 3, 1916

JOE WOOD MARRIES IN PITTSFIELD

Miss O'Farrell Becomes Mrs. Wood, Several Red Sox In Wedding Party

BOSTON--Not often do stories about weddings find their way onto these pages of the Globe, but then again, not often does a wedding bring together the families of two of the Red Sox' most luminous stars.

On December 23 in Pittsfield, Miss Emily Elizabeth O'Farrell became the bride of Mr. Joe Wood, star pitcher of the Boston American League club. Patrick J. O'Farrell, brother of the bride and Mr. Wood's teammate, was best man. The wedding party included several other Red Sox players, including catcher William Carrigan, pitcher Christopher Mathewson, and outfielder Tristram Speaker.

Mr. and Mrs. Wood's betrothal was kept a family secret until after the World Series, in which Wood pitched brilliantly.

The couple will take a wedding trip to Ocean City, New Jersey before returning to make their home in Boston.

Readers desiring more detail concerning the ceremony may find them in the society pages of today's Globe.

Last edited by Big Six; 04-16-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #218
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Boston Herald, January 24, 1916

BURKE & CO., TAILORS
843 Washington Street, Boston

Fine Winter Suits Made to Order
Best Prices for Tailor-Made Clothing

WEAR THE SUIT O'FARRELL WEARS!

Old 04-16-2004, 03:08 PM   #219
Big Six
Hall Of Famer

Boston Post, May 4, 1916

SIZZLING SOX ON WINNING STREAK
Eleven Straight Victories Propel Bostons into First Place

BOSTON--A season that had begun uncharacteristically slowly for the Red Sox has recently turned around. The Boston club has looked much more like the outfit that has won three consecutive World Series, and a total of five since 1909.

The Sox have reeled off eleven consecutive victories, enough to enable them to overtake the Detroit Tigers and move into the American League's top spot for the first time this season. The Red Sox are now two games ahead, with a mark of 20 wins and 8 losses.

The Sox' engine has been sparked by some familiar sources of power. Tris Speaker, Batter of the Year for '13 and '14, is off to another good start, batting .358 with eight doubles. Pat O'Farrell is not far behind, at .350, despite a recent slump.

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise has been catcher Bill Carrigan. Back in the starting role after the trade with Chicago that sent Bob Peterson to the White Sox, Carrigan has produced at a rate that would do All-Star Peterson proud. The Holy Cross man leads the league in home runs with three, and has driven in 20 runs, which places him third.

Balance has been the key to the Boston pitching staff this spring. Five twirlers have reached the winner's circle at least three times. Two of them are relative newcomers to the Boston rooter's attention.

Ray Collins is in his first season as a member of the regular pitching rotation, and has won four games despite some difficulty with his control.

"Rube" Kroh, even newer on the scene, has made the injury woes Christy Mathewson has faced this spring more survivable. Kroh has done a very passable imitation of Christy, winning three game, losing none, with an earned run average under two.

And, the perennial favorites, Rose and Wood, are doing the sort of work Boston rooters have become accustomed to from them over the past few successful seasons.

Rose has the team's lowest ERA, while Wood is, in a word, Wood. Smoky Joe continues to ring up strikeouts at an amazing rate, sending 73 batsmen back to the dugout with the sound of "Strike three" echoing in their ears.

While it is reasonable to believe the Red Sox will, in fact, lose again before late September, it is also reasonable to guess that Jimmy Collins' club will remain in contention, and that September will be as thrilling a month as it has been for the past few years.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:29 AM   #220
jdw
All Star Starter

Big Six - great thread. It's been a few months since I stopped by, but picking it back up puts a massive smile on my face.

A couple of questions/info requests:

(i) can you post Pat's totals for the 1915 series? Looks like he had eight hits in the five games, but there are not further details.

(ii) do you have any data for his performances in the 1913-1915 All Star games?

(iii) what are the Sox records from 1907-1915? Looks like 70-84 in 1907, 102-52 in 1910 and 105-50 in the thrilling 1914... but the rest are a little harder to figure out.

(iv) can you post Pat's full minor league numbers, each season and each level? There were some at the start of the thread, but not full and final.

(v) How did Pat do on the Leader Boards in 1914? Seemed to be missing from the thread. Pat set career highs in hits, RBI, BA, and SB (since broken), along with other exceptional numbers.

As you may have guessed, I've got a Pat O'Farrell spreadsheet than I keep and need help filling some of it out.

Anyway... thanks again for all the reading enjoyment you've given to us. I think we all look forward to reading how the rest of the teens turn out for the Sox, if Mr. Speaker gets traded away, and what happens in the off season of 1919/1920.

Best,

John
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote